Old 12-02-2005, 07:29 AM   #1  

Default "All or Nothing" Gal restarting Atkins after 3 years

Good morning ladies!

I discovered this awesome site a few months ago and followed the South Beach group for about a month. Then my evil twin decided to visit all heck broke loose and I ate like there was no tomorrow . For a month I went on a rampage of apples dipped in old-fashioned caramel, consuming a container a day [SIZE="3"](hope the moderator doesn't kick me off for using profanity like old-fashioned and caramel) Ate until I was sick from the sugar. Can't tell you what that did to my weight, my brain chemistry and my self-esteem. Why do we do this to ourselves???????

Anyhoo, three years ago I followed Atkins carefully and dropped 15 lbs over the summer and I felt marvelous! I tend to be an all or nothing dieter and am very much trying to stop this unhealthy behavor (I won't even explain what this means since I can see at least 7 readers nodding your heads in understanding right now). I really want to make this a permanent lifestyle.

Anyway, since Atkins worked so well for me in the past, I'm giving it another shot starting this morning with eggs and canadian bacon.

My question is this: I have the book I bought 3 years ago and wonder if the program has been modified any since the advent of South Beach and our slowly changing notions about good fats/bad fats? Does the program still encourage high fat? My cholesterol is 280 and I really would like to live to see 50 (I'm 48).

Okay, enough for now. As you can see, I've had my coffee!

I look forward to meeting new friends here.
Taramoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Hi & welcome. Glad you were able to escape from the dark side . Dr's A's 2002 edition I believe was his last revised version of the New Diet Revolution (I'm assuming this is the book you're referring to?).

It's high-ER in fat than the non-lc diets but I've never been under the impression (well, since reading the book that is ) that this is a high fat diet.

Glad to see there's another coffee hound out there. I used to drink about 2 pots day, but now that I'm on induction I have to be vewy vewy cahfuw or I'll end up using all 20g's just on coffee LOL .

Anyhew, come join us in our weekly chat thread. It's a really great group here!
gonna_be_150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:00 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Tara

Its a higher fat diet than most, but where is your fat coming from? and is it more fat than what you were eating before? For me personally its considerably lower in fat than how I was eating before I started atkins.

Im not sure if there are any changes, I stick to the 20grams of carbs for induction, then I'll increase slowly when Im ready.

You've found a great place for support and help...do like Stacie mentioned and stop by the weekly thread so we can get to know you.

Have a great 1st op day!!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
For me personally its considerably lower in fat than how I was eating before I started atkins.
Yup - me too.
gonna_be_150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #5  
Baby Steps

Tara: Isn't it amazing how we either have to do ALL or nothing at all? I don't think I'm eating any worse than I did before starting Atkins (minus the slipups). I wouldn't worry about high fat. The book states that doing the program will/should lower your cholestrol WELCOME
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:06 AM   #6  
Going to ONEderland

Funny. The first Atkins book I read was I think the 1986 version. (Yellow cover). It was weird. He really was almost paranoid sounding in the way he wrote that book. Defending his position, particularly regarding fats. Apparently he had a lot of flack from people about his diet and the whole thing seemed to be him talking about how fats don't cause heart disease but high carb does.

The white cover edition of his book was a lot more reasonable sounding. I would have thought by reading only the yellow cover version that he was advocating a "high fat" diet!
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I for onw had more that perfect like text book perfect cholesterol levels when I was full steam and I had been ready to start medicine less than 1 year before.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #8  
Susan hockeyfan7

Personally, I think margarine and light mayo are way worse than butter and others.

I'm now starting to use coconut oil to see what happens - I've heard it's a great source of fat for weight loss. It has no carbs and it's supposed to help metabolism.

This is supposed to be low carb, not no carb.

I used to live on potato chips, pizza, fast food, cake, cookies, candy, etc. and my cholesterol stays in the 167 range. Always has. I am convinced that it's a huge piece of genetics. My ex-MIL was on a diabetic diet and ate whole grains and tons of fiber and all that stuff and hers was in the 300 range and would not come down without medication.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote