General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #1  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Unhappy Music downloading help?

Hi - I am clueless about downloading music - what's legal to download, where to download from, what kind of equipment I have to have. I am pretty good with computers, but have never tried this. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks!

Lesley
Old 11-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #2  
Whatever it takes

Hmm it's hard to tell what is legal and what is not. Anything that is free,probably isn't legal.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:34 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Legal sites:

Napster
Yahoo Music Engine
iTunes (the only service compatible with iPods)

(I'm sure there are others, but those are the first ones that come to mind).

The first two offer a subscription music service (Napster's is called "Napster2Go") which sounds pretty neat - basically you pay a subscription fee and you can download as many songs as you want into your player without having to pay for each song. However you have to have a compatible subscription player to use this feature!

We subscribe to Napster and Yahoo - I favor Napster as they have more songs and is easy to search, but Yahoo is pretty inexpensive at $60 a year. If you just want to download songs to put on your MP3 player or burn to a CD, you can subscribe to Napster Light for free and just pay 99 cents a song. We have the regular Napster subscription, upgraded our computer's speakers so we can listen to tunes in the house via Napster.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:26 PM   #4  
Losing for Life!

Here is what I have been doing lately, I pick up cd's from the library and upload them to the computer. Saves a ton of money!
Old 11-28-2005, 10:40 PM   #5  
Melting Butter

Paying for it is legal.
Paying for it through a company you know like Yahoo and iTunes is more than likely the best route to go.
It does get expensive after a while...but it's worth it. That way you'll know you aren't downloading illegal or virusey stuff.
Closed Thread