Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 03:30 PM   #1  
Ready to Offer Support!

Red face Thin4Life Wk of Nov. 28, 2005

Hi, All. Sorry for the long radio silence. My brother just finished his final round of chemo. We went to see him last weekend, and he looks and feels pretty good, so I've got my fingers crossed. It has been a busy few months, so I have been out of touch with you guys, but I am hoping to stay in better touch now that things seem to have calmed down a bit.

Lala - Hope that Thanksgiving went well for you. I'm sending out a great big "welcome" to your aunt and cousin from the Lone Star State!

Susan - So sorry to hear about the separation and all the emotions that go with it. Sounds really tough, but you will get through this. Hope the business trip went well.

Melissa - Glad to hear that the two feet (yikes!) of snow didn't materialize for Thanksgiving. We have been having unseasonably warm weather, still, here in Austin. Yesterday the family all dressed in shorts for a hike through the greenbelt, and last night we still had the AC on at night, because it was in the 70's. I will be glad for some cooler weather - surely it should get down into the 50's or so before December hits, right? It is so weird to watch holiday movies and drink eggnog when it is warm outside. We may have to turn on the AC just to get it cool enough inside to have a fire in the fireplace!

Domina - wow, you must have a wonderful voice. I knew that you went to auditions and were in plays, but thought were simply an actor and didn't realize that you sing as well. Singing the National Anthem at the marathon and being invited to sing at your mother's church -- just another reason I am impressed! The first reason being, of course, the 5K that you ran. Good for you!

Pam - Sorry to hear about the car trouble. Have had a bit of that myself lately. Now, though, my car has new brakes, new tires, and has had a complete tuneup. I am hoping not to have any more car-related expenses for a while!

I can't remember who asked me to report back on the catfish wraps that I made for dinner a few months ago. The votes were split - DH and DS thought it was the grossest thing they ever ate; DD and I thought it was pretty good. The fish was sauteed in hoisin sauce, which made it kind of sweet, so it was kind of a funky taste for fish. Anyway, I liked it OK but probably won't make it again.

Hope you all have a great week!
Old 11-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Just a quick note to let you know that Thanksgiving was fun. Saw my brother from Virginia and it had been a while. He has a new girlfriend and we all liked her.

I ate too much over the holiday, but now I'm back on track.

Austin, welcome back. Like you we have had very warm days. It's supposed to be in the 60's later this week.

I'll write more later.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:03 PM   #3  
si, si signora

Hi everyone.

Happy Cybermonday.

Had a moderate weekend. Did lots of baking and realized that I am the fittest and fattest I have been in eternity. Does that make sense?

Anyways. I have not a clue what to do...

Austin. Welcome back!

Everyone else hi ya.

More later...

lala
Old 11-29-2005, 08:28 AM   #4  

Hi all and welcome back Austingal. We missed you.

It's still pretty warm here too, although not warm enough for AC. I'm hoping for an easier winter this year; the last few have brought much more snow than we're used to. Let's hope there are no more 95 cm storms.

i'm back at the gym regularly and the dreaded treadmill. It's not the weather that sends me inside; it's the darkness - dark when I get up, dark when I leave work.

I'm meeting a realtor today to make an offer on the condo. M and I have talked a bit over the past week, and I think I have a better understanding of why we need to do this. This move may give us the time and space we need to form a new and better relationship; if it turns out that we can't work out our issues, then a phased approach that may help lessen the pain. The good news is that we want the best for each other and ourselves. Guess that's why it hurts so damn much.

I am not in a Christmas mood and wish the whole thing would just go away. My family has convinced me to go home for the holidays. Mom turns 80 on New Years Day, so there will be a family celebration. I definitely want to be there for that, so I guess it makes sense to go a week earlier. Am not looking forward to it.

I had a run-in with some chocolate last night, but otherwise I'm doing better on the eating front. I weigh in on Saturday and hope to see some sort of loss. I'll take an ounce or two - anything heading in a downward direction.

Sorry that I'm rambling and this is all about me. How is everyone else? Did you brave the malls on Black Friday or whatever it's called? Kinda like Boxing Day in Canada - utter madness. Many of my gifts will be gift cards this year. I can't bear the Christmas music. This from the Queen of Christmas. Oops, there I go again. Sorry.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi Susan,

I'm hoping that the condo works for you. Sounds like a new place is in order.

I'm not in the best of christmas moods and other than having 25 folks over for christmas cookie decorating and doing the dinner thing, it could all go away until I'm ready, which may be in March.

I'm going to buy four gifts on line this year and then mail off what we have. My parents are coming up here so that will be good, we're going to buy them a digital camera and it is best that we do it with them there as they are not technologically savvy.

I hear you on the dark thing. Its dark now and by 4:15 it will be twilight. Its sleeting right now and honestly, I could stay in bed, but the gym, work and everything else is calling me.

Did everyone else get their shopping done? Whatever happened to the 24th and the mall? Is everyone that prepared?

Well, off to make something for breakfast that I can heat at work. I can't eat before the gym and powerbars are not cutting it for me.

Have a great day ladies!

lala
Old 11-29-2005, 09:32 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning from the dreary northeast! It's raining here this morning and it's pretty dark outside--good day to be curled up with a book in bed!

Austin: Welcome back!! We've missed you! I'm glad things have calmed down for you. It's good to hear that your brother tolerated the chemo and that he's doing okay. Our weather has been unseasonably warm the past couple of days--yesterday we hit 67 and this morning we broke the record (67) with a temp of 68 at 2 a.m.! Of course, it's going to be short-lived because a cold front is moving in and it's supposed to be cold by this afternoon. I agree, it's hard to watch Christmas programs when it's warm outside.

Lisa: Glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Susan: I don't like the fact either that it's dark when I get up/leave for work and it's dark when I'm getting home. I need to get cracking on some activity and have actually toyed with the idea of purchasing an eliptical for the house. I've been looking at a small fold up one from Sharper Image. Right now their offering free shipping and it would be something I could keep in my room, out of the way. It sounds like you and M are having some good talks and want what's best for each other. I hope the seller accepts your offer on the condo.

Lala: The weekend must've been one for baking! I, on the other hand, didn't bake one thing! Are you still going to the gym?

Pam: Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

I can't remember if I posted this last week or not--my dad went in to the doctor and was told he has some internal bleeding but they don't know where it is and they had scheduled him for some tests on the 21st of December. Anyway, yesterday the doctor's office called & said they had gotten his bloodwork back and they had him scheduled for tests this morning. We do know he's anemic and he has to start taking iron supplements. Hopefully we'll get more answers.

DH arrived home late Sunday night. He was able to see 2 rugby games at Millenium Park and even got a tour of the facility. He said it's quite impressive to see 70,000+ at a rugby game.

More later on...
Old 11-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #7  
Ready to Offer Support!

Hi, all. This will be a short drive-by posting from work. I did go out with the kids to the mall on Black Friday - kind of a tradition that we go do that while DH watches supremely important college football on TV. (whatever!) I gladly leave the house when he is in the die-hard sports fanatic mode - I don't get nearly enough attention when he is like that! DD's birthday was the week of Thanksgiving, so she had some birthday money to spend. We spent most of our time in the Build-A-Bear store.

Susan - I am also having trouble getting into the spirit of the holidays - probably the warm weather. Or, maybe I am just already tired of hearing Christmas carols over the loudspeaker at the grocery store every time I go in there. It isn't even December yet ... it gets kind of tedious, I think, when they start things so early. Like, for instance, having all the Christmas decorations and displays up before Halloween (when it is still 80 degrees outside). Bah Humbug!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 PM   #8  

Hi Ladies,

The weather is warm in Massachusetts too...60 today which is a very nice change!
Thanksgiving was nice, the whole family was together for the first time in quite awhile. My son went back to school yesterday and I already miss him ( I think he may miss me too, since he already called this morning just to talk).
I have not even begun Christmas shopping or decorating other than hanging a wreath on the front door. It's just too early. Seems like people forget about Thanksgiving and jump from Halloween right into Christmas.

Hey Austingal nice to have you back! Glad to hear your brother is done with Chemo and feeling better. I'll keep my fingers crossed too. I'm also hoping my car problems are done for a little while. Still debating whether or not to replace DH's car..just not sure what we're looking for.

Lisa Glad your family liked your brothers new friend. My eating was OK over the holiday. Since it's TOM time I have not even bothered to weigh in yet, I'll wait until Friday. Hoping to at least stay the same.

Lala Is anyone actually satisfied after eating only a powerbar?? Certainly not me. I admire your dedication going to the gym.

Susan you sound like you're doing better. A little at a time things will fall into place. I'm glad you and M had a good discussion. I also am not yet ready for the holiday season...as I mentioned above it seems like everyone is rushing the season. Take it one day at a time...I hope they accept your offer on the condo!

Melissa glad your Dads tests were moved up. When you posted earlier you had said Dec. 21st and that did seem like a long time to wait. I hope all goes well for him. Well if the coldfront is headed your way I guess we're next so I'll enjoy my 60 temps while I can.

Oh..I forgot to mention DH and I went to see "Walk the Line" on Saturday night. This was an excellent movie..I enjoyed it much more than I thought. Joaquin Phoenix deserves an Oscar for this one. Well ladies I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:17 PM   #9  

Hi, just breezing through between meetings. It is so hectic here. I think the customers are trying to clear out their in-boxes before 31 December!!

Susan, I am also glad that you and M are talking. It is probably good for you to have your own place. Christmas wouldn't be much fun when things are going as they are for you. Yes, I went out the day after Thanksgiving and I finished my shopping. Now I need to tackle the baking. I also had a run-in with chocolate last night. I wonder what that means?

lala, keep plugging, something will click for you.

Pam, Is Walk the Line the one about Johnny Cash? I don't really like country western music, so I don't know if I'll see that one, but I heard that Phoenix did well.

Melissa, I'm also glad your father's tests were moved up. That is scary.

Well, the expenses keep happening. Today the A/C repairman was at the house--there goes $500. It always happens around the holidays. Next week, my car goes in for a brake job. Whooppee!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:47 AM   #10  
Ready to Offer Support!

Morning, all! Happy to report that the scale showed a smaller number this morning. Slightly smaller, but I will happily take any downward movement these days!

Lala - I can relate to the concept of heavier- but fitter-than ever. Not sure what to do about it either, except that journaling seems to be the key for me. Will be happy to try on-line journaling again if you care to join me. Only four on-line gifts? Truly admirable. I buy almost all my gifts online, just to avoid parking issues at the mall!

Pam - DH also needs a new car, but we are waiting to see what happens with EOY inventor sales. Haven't seen "Walk the Line" but heard it was good. Am trying to schedule out a time during the next few weeks to take DD (12 yrs) to see "Pride and Prejudice" - my all-time favorite book. DD and I sometimes snuggle into my bed and pop in one of the DVD's to watch part of the BBC mini-series, but it lasts too long to watch in a single sitting. Can't wait to see the new 2-hour version!

Last night I made a really yummy Thai beef salad - a new recipe from Cooking Light. Made with flank steak, veggies, lime juice and fish sauce. So easy. No added fat. So yummy!

Must finish up a project today in order to avoid going into December in "catch-up" mode. What has happened to my motivation at work? Seems to have flown out the window since the week of Thanksgiving. Sigh. Must push onward.

Hi to Susan, Lisa, Melissa and anybody else I left hout. Have a great Wednesday!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #11  

g'day folks. Sun shining brightly outside and it's supposed to get into the balmy teens (celsius). I'm going for a run with my running group tonight; it will be so excellent to be outside with people instead of inside on a treadmill.

I had a good day yesterday. Productive meeting with the realtor, even more productive one with counsellor, and one supremely satisfying one with M. It's amazing how much we receive when we stop demanding. We are in a good place right now. I am so grateful for that.

The condo purchase isn't going so well. There are all sorts of hidden costs in the contract, and the whole experience is becoming negative. I don't know why they didn't just ask for the amount of money they wanted. Instead, they advertise an attractive asking price, then fill the contract will all sorts of clauses that add up to a significant amount of money. I seem to remember, Austingal that you are a lawyer. Why is there so much smoke and mirrors involved in purchasing a home? Anyway, I am in a zone where I'm ready to walk away if this gets too frustrating. My sister's spare room is comfortable and maybe I can live there for the next year

Lisa: Walk the Line is about the life of Johnny Cash. I've heard good things. It also helps that I liked his music, even though much of the country and western stuff doesn't appeal to me. I will take it in sometime this month.

Pam: Yes, the Christmas music - much as I love it from about Dec. 15th onward - is getting on my nerves. I'm purposely staying away from malls where the commercial cheerfulness is just too much for me to take right now.

Austin: Is that the build-a-bear store that was featured on Oprah? That would be such fun to do with a little person.

Melissa: Happy to hear that the tests were going ahead today. That's too long a wait. My doctor ordered a bone density test for me about a month ago. At the time, they said there'd be a ONE-YEAR wait. That's if I wanted the test here. If I drive about 80 km, they'll do it in January. So, that's what the plan is. I didn't fully understand all of the hype about health care in Canada until I had to use the system. Ugh - some triage is in order!

lala: I have the same dilemma with morning workouts. I don't really like power/breakfast bars. I'm lucky there's a little cafe in this building where I can get something healthy.

Can you believe we are in the middle of a federal election campaign? I pity the poor candidate who has the misfortune to knock on my door this time around. I have had it with politicians who get in it "to give back" and who end up taking for themselves and their friends. Don't know what happens on the journey from Nova Scotia to Ottawa, but they leave as decent people and come back as near criminals. This only begins to describe my current feelings re our political system. The only trouble is, the alternatives are not an option.

GRRRRRR.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:42 PM   #12  

Susan, good to hear from you. I'm glad you and M had a productive talk. If you are getting bad vibes about the real estate deal, walk away. That's not right to add in a bunch of stuff later. Politicians are the same no matter where we live (sigh).

Austin, the Thai beef salad sounds good--could you share the recipe? Congrats on the loss--I'm with you, any loss is good.

I did pretty good yesterday. Need to go to WI next week or the week after. This time of the year gets so hectic, but I do enjoy it. This year has the added shows with my musical group. We are in demand!

Hi Melissa, Pam and lala.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #13  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

I'm super down so I don't want to be a wet blanket. I am doing the program and exercising, but something (unknown) is dragging me down, so all I can say is keep on keeping on.

I hope to be back by tomorrow in my normal cheeky self.

lala
Old 11-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #14  
Ready to Offer Support!

Susan - I agree with Lisa. If they are tacking on a lot of extras that you aren't comfortable with, I would walk away. That, however, is personal advice and not based on anything remotely resembling a legal opinion! I am also baffled by the whole home-buying process - that type of law is miles away from anything that I know about. DH and I didn't venture into home ownership until we had already been married for 15 years, and even then we definitely used a realtor and a real estate attorney for advice. Sorry I can't be more help on that one! I don't watch Oprah, so I'm not sure if she covered the Build-A-Bear workshops or not. It is very cute - you go into the store and pick the shell of your stuffed animal and they stuff it right there. The stuffing machine kind of looks like a big popcorn machine with little fluffs of batting circulating on air currents inside. They stuff it to your order - soft, medium or "huggable". Then, you buy all kinds of clothes, glasses, shoes, purses, etc. to outfit the animal. DD has a bunny, bear, frog, and monkey. Wish I had come up with this idea - I'd be a millionaire!

Lala - Sorry to hear that you are down. Hope you feel better soon.

Lisa - Thai Salad (Yam Nuea Yang) recipe is as follows. Note that I added a head of Napa cabbage, sliced, and dumped all ingredients into a pan and heated the mixture until the cabbage slightly wilted. Don't know how many calories to add for the cabbage, but not very much, I'm sure. Also, I prefer the tomotoes sliced intead of quartered. Enjoy!

Yam Nuea Yang (Spicy Beef Salad)

1 (1-pound) flank steak, trimmed
Cooking spray
1/3 cup sliced shallots
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 teaspoons sliced Thai red chiles or serrano chiles
2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges (about 3/4 pound)

Prepare grill or broiler.
Place steak on a grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.

Cut the steak diagonally across grain into thin slices; cut each slice into 2-inch pieces.

Combine the steak, shallots, and remaining ingredients, and toss gently.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 214(39% from fat); FAT 9.2g (sat 3.9g,mono 3.6g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 25g; CHOLESTEROL 59mg; CALCIUM 17mg; SODIUM 407mg; FIBER 1.1g; IRON 2.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 7.6g
Old 12-01-2005, 08:15 AM   #15  

lala, c'mon girl, chin up. There's so much happening this time of year, but look at it positively. You have your cooky party coming up--that sounds like fun! DP is getting her PhD--wow! You're exercising--good for you. I'm rooting for ya!

Austin, thanks for the recipe. It sounds yummy. DH will like it. I believe Cabbage is 0 points and very good for you besides. : )
Closed Thread