PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:48 PM   #1  

Default I have a couple of questions, can you help?

A friend of mine recently suggested that I get tested for PCOS, because I have tremendous difficulty losing weight. I do not have any of the other symptoms (hirsuitism, hypothyroidism) so I was dismissive. I've been poking around on information boards, however, and now I have questions.

I have read that heavy, long, irregular periods are typical, but I caught one mention of "very light" periods, too. I've always been regular, and always very, very light--a day or two, and a light day or two at that. I'm also very "clotty" (sorry if that's TMI). I have completely missed periods, too, and not been pregnant. One year I went for 10 months and didn't cycle at all. I've also been on the pill for a very long time--nearly 12 years (a month or two break here and there, but pretty consistently otherwise). I do not want children, so BCP has been my birth control of choice. Can BCPs mask PCOS and make it have NO symptoms?

I also have exercised consistently for the last 15 years. Depending on the time of my life, I've exercised anywhere from 3-12 hours a week. Exercise helps with IR, I know, but does it also contribute to masking PCOS?

I lose weight very slowly: less than a pound a week, certainly. I also gain ridiculously easy. I have to be very very strict, mostly veggies and meats and oatmeal/whole grains. If I have any sugar at all I almost always see a gain on the scale that week, no matter how little I have! What food I don't cook for myself I try to buy from Trader Joe's (unprocessed stuff). In the last 4 years I've gained 120 pounds (which yeah, I've panicked the whole time about). Some of it I will admit I earned (emotional stuff was happening) but not ALL of it! Is that related, possibly?

Last question: would being diagnosed with PCOS help in my weight loss efforts? I'm trying to avoid following my father to heart disease and diabetes type II so I would really like to take the weight off, but since I don't want kids anyway should I even get tested?

Thank you anyone and everyone for your help.
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:30 AM   #2  

Hi Mousie, My name is Tober. I was diagnosed with PCOS after I lost my first baby. I have always been over weight no matter what dumb thing I did to lose weight. I got to the point of saying to heck with it I'll just be fat. I have never had a normal period. I have between 4 and 5 cycles in a year. I tried for 19 months to have a baby. I lost my first as I said. That is when my dr. asked if I had ever been tested. It was an easy blood test and I got the results in a few days. I found out that PCOS is the reason for my weight. They Dr. suggested a low carb (not no carb) diet. Not only did the weight come off for the first time I got pregnant without clomid! I did take metformin to help keep from miscarring again.
I also have no other symtoms from PCOS beside having trouble get knocked up and the weight. Finding out about the PCOS was a God sent for me. I know what I have to do to lose weight now and it's been going well.
I lost 67 lbs in about 4 months before I got pregnant. I gained 50 and have lost 20 of it so far.

You should just bring it up to your doc. It's worth a shot.
Tober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 06:08 PM   #3  
angst and eyeliner

S/C/G: 230/230/150

Height: 5' 3"

mousie, you may or may not have pcos. there are many symptoms, and not all women with pcos have the classic ones (cysts, irregular cycles, excess hair, etc.) having said that, i think it is worth going to your doctor for a full work up. you mentioned you have a family history of diabetes; it is very possible that you are insulin-resistant. a fasting glucose tolerance test is one of the tests your md should order. if you are, there are meds which help the sugars and with weight loss.

keep us posted and good luck!
isenephthys is offline   Reply With Quote