South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 08:43 AM   #1  

Default weight-loss patterns

I know this is clearly not something to complain about, but I find it a little bizarre.

Ok, been on SBD since mid-May - - so, it's almost six months. It is the only diet that has ever worked for me, I went from 166 to 121.5 pounds (a size 14 to a size 2), and it's changed my entire outlook on food and eating.

I've noticed though a trend. Most people I know on diets will lose at a somewhat steady rate. I dont'. I'll lose nothing for like 3 weeks, and then lose 2-3 pounds overnight. (Except of course during phase one, when I had the typical bulk loss the first two weeks.)

I thought that sort of bulk loss was over though, since I was getting pretty close to my goal. I've been around 125 for over a month now. Sometimes it'll go down to 124, sometimes as high as 127 on bloated days, but it's been at that weight since early September.

Anyway, I weigh myself this morning, and I weighed 121.5 -- I weighed 124 yesterday. That means I lost 2 and a half pounds since yesterday? (Not to mention, oddly enough, yesterday was my mother's birthday, and I had probably a half of pound of cocktail shrimp AND a small piece of bday cake...it was definetly a treat day, not a day you expect to lose.)

I've been under a tremendous amount of stress lately (i got laid off last week for the second time in 2 years). Do you think it's possible that sorta revved up my metabolism? I'm really awful about exercise, beyond taking long walks a few times a week, so it's not that.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Could be. Why not just relax and enjoy it? You've done well!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:15 PM   #3  
Who needs sleep?

As long as you are healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. Of course, prolonged periods of stress isn't very healthy - maybe try something for relaxation, such as yoga? That might help keep you focused and centered, too (thinking of your job search, not your diet).

I'm sorry you got laid off. I can relate - my DH was laid off for most of the year, and it was hard and scary, especially as I'm a SAHM so he was the sole wage-earner. I hope you find something great real soon!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:18 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

alyeditrix, it can sure be confusing when your weight loss happens that way...but I've gotta say that it's pretty common from what I've heard.

What might be true for you, if you start noticing a pattern of your losses happening after treat days, is that you aren't getting enough calories, and your body's holding on to your fat in response. When you eat more calories on the treat day, your body feels okay about letting go of that fat. If that's the case, just up your calories using healthy, good food.

Congrats on the loss and on figuring out what's going on...just try to keep track of what you are eating and what's going on when you lose, but know that you may never figure it out. In the meantime, enjoy your success!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 AM   #5  
Kyemom

My body does the same thing. I never thought that I was not eating enough calories!! WOw, I will try that!
Old 11-08-2005, 12:05 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Kyemom, you can track your calories through www.fitday.com, but very soon, you may be able to check your calorie counts here at 3FC, too! We'll let you know as soon as that is available. In the meantime, check out fitday. You want to make sure you're eating at LEAST 1200 calories each day. If you eat less than that, you are more than likely to stall.
Closed Thread