UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:55 AM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default Diabetic Denial

I was diagnosed a diabetic in September, but I am in a complete denial with it, my diet is worse than ever.... help send me something to get me going!

I need more than ever to get my diet in some kind of control and to make a effort to lose weight!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:00 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, it's now nearly November and it's time to get on with life! Sorry for the tough love but I know what you are going through. I am a Type II and decided the diagnosis was wrong. However, it can be controlled!
After two years of careful eating (mainly South Beach Diet), my HA1C is just great and so is my cholesterol.
You are young and CAN do this. Time to get over it!
Has your physician made any recommendations? PM me if you need to talk.
Big hugs to you.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:05 AM   #3  

Thanx Ruth, I read so much on it so I know what I am dealing with, my HA1C was 8.2 that was the first one, it's due to be done again in December and then they'll decide on medication. Everyone according to my GP tries diet control first in the UK.

When I first had the scare in April, I changed my eating habits like crazy and I did so well, I dropped 22lbs and thought there is no way I'll be diabetic. Then the GTT in August confirmed I was with me being told a week later in September from my GP. From then on my diet and exercise was out the window....

But no I am me, I can do this, I can control this and I will get myself back on track!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:15 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Here in Canada, we try diet control first. I did and it dropped it a bit. However, my doc finally put me on Metformin/Glucophage which dropped it to a safe level. I've slowly been reducing that dosage and I am still below 6 on HA1C. FAsting levels are almost always 5 or less unless I've eaten something really dumb for dinner the night before!

Sounds like you are over your denial!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:08 AM   #5  

Let's find a plan and stick to it Alison we both need help I think! Don't ignore it you could end up with all sorts of problems.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 01:01 PM   #6  

Both my parents have Type II, and both went through denial, it seems part of the diagnosis!! My dad was terrible at accepting it, and he's still not brilliant - his only concession was to grill his bacon instead of frying it!!! My mum took a while to get used to her diagnosis too, dad was diagnosed in around 1998 and my mum only last year.

I am not diabetic.........yet, their dual diagnosis made me get my but into gear and get this weight off, to give me the best chance of either not getting it, or being a well controlled diabetic. I want a long and happy life, I don't want my only excursions when I am old and crusty to be to the hospital or the doctor's surgery.

If you need support, I am only up the road and round the corner!!! I'll event ake you out for lunch, but not at MacDOnalds!!!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 02:08 PM   #7  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

I'm in Kylie's position - when my dad was diagnosed with type 2 earlier this year, it was the wake-up call I needed to do something about my own weight and health situation.

I didn't want to wait until I already HAD diabetes to try and improve my weight and food choices, and given that my dad, brother and three of my uncles were diabetic, the chances of me developing it were (are) high - especially since I also have insulin resistance and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)

You're a strong-minded woman, Alison, and you CAN get to grips with this and overcome it. You too, Veggie !

All the best, Janey
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:28 PM   #8  

Thanx guys..... today is a new start, I clear out the crap food and went shopping this afternoon to stock up on good things!

I can do this, time to take the bull by the horns and pull myself togeather!

Yay!

I like November 1st, it's 4 weeks till my holidays!