Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #65

I thought today is a good day to start a new tread. And to tell you all that my Kids are fine and will be on their way to Minnesota Monday or Tuesday. They were reunited yesterday. DS is doing well They also found a cracked vertebrae in his back. DIL has a head cold but very happy to be back.

Our weather is changing as you know we are watching Hurricane Wilma. And hoping she stays south. We will get the car ready tomorrow in case we have to flee the place. They are saying that it is a fast moving storm so we won't be going far. Just out of reach if we have to. If Wilma stays south we will be dealing with winds of 30 to 40 mph we can handle that. Also rain 1 to 3 inches at last report. We can also use the rain. I am thinking positive and praying that we will not have to deal with Wilma. Ann how about you??

We finally found a pet carrier for Sprout for our trip north next month. We are happy tp be going but I'm not crazy about the idea of flying. We got our ticket several weeks ago before the airlines raised the price. I've heard of people checking to go now and the price is 3 times higher than we paid. Glad we are locked in. Now hoping the airline doesn't go belly up before we go and return.

Today the humidity has return to our part of Florida. We got spoiled this last week with little or no humidity. DH and I did our 2 miles this morning early. Sprout goes for the first mile then we drop him off and we go around again. We may go again this evening if not too bad out.

Ann was talking the other day about the October Fest we also had that here in our park. Had a polka band and all. It was fun. We have tickets Friday for a show called The Clearwater Connection. It is supposed to be very good . Songs from 40's 50' 60' &70's . I'll let you know.

I have some new neighbors. They are in our age range. They seem to be very nice. Again I'll let you know. That makes 4 couples in our neighborhood in our age group. There have been many houses sold this summer. Most to younger people(our age). My other neighbors have been for 10 to 20 years so are very much older than we are. But wonderful neighbors they are.

Slavika and you too Peggy, Do remember a few years ago peolple were taking store bought sweatshirts and cuting down the middle to make jackets . Then embellishing them with trim. Do you have any ideas on what kind of trim to
use. You know I have this hot and cold thing going on.(personal season change ) And a pullover is to much trouble . I did one and am using a daisy string to go around the neck line and down the front. I am going to do another and maybe put in a zipper and have a couple of applique' to put on it. I want to make a couple more so I don't have to use the same one all the time. If any one else has some ideas please don't be shy.

Well I guess it's time to get up from here and get cleaned up still sweaty from the walk.

Have enjoyed all the Emails and jokes. sometimes you just need to laugh out loud!

Bye Bye Now
Karen
Old 10-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #2  
Member Florida Chick

Hi All:

Yes, Karen, we too are waiting. If we have any sort of mandatory evacuation, we will go to our church gymnasium as we did before. It worked out well, but we too hope that it will stay clear of us. They just don't really know, and I do wish they wouldn't use all the scare tactics that the news people find necessary to do. We all know the seriousness of big storms and what we need to do, but I sometimes wonder if it is really necessary to just try to strike fear into everyone. Glad your kids are home and all is well.

Lily: These are all forwards that I am sending. It is so funny, because as i put the address in, the symbol for attachment shows in the proper window, but as soon as I hit send the attachment window is empty, and people say there is nothing there when they open. I use Outlook Express and Pop3 server. Very frustrating for sure. Out internet connection is Road runner, but it will soon be Verizon and we will have a new address. I will soon be sending it to all of you. Maybe that will make a difference.

We have been having trouble with our caller ID unit. The telephone co. can't seem to find what the problem is, so we may just have to buy a new unit.

Not much newsworthy stuff happening here. Talk to you later. Ann
Old 10-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #3  
Life Time 2001

Karen: So glad the Kids were reunited and on thier way back home Glad your son is doing well. Glad you finally found the carrier for Sprout. Airfares will scare you now for sure. We are going to My sisters on thanksgiving. So Glad I got mine booked as they did jump shortly after that.

Ann: Maybe its Roadrunner. Because it shouldnt happen when its a forward. See if it changes when you get the new ISP.

Both of you be safe with Wilma! All these Hurricanes are so bad. Hope this is the last of it.

Nothing new with me. We havent even done anything fun on weekends Lately.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:09 PM   #4  
Fun Blonde

All, this is such a boring day! Nothing going on. I am, of course, at work and it is fall break in the public schools today and tomorrow and very few people are here. The phone hasn't rung--nobody has come in. Yuck! I am about to go to sleep right here at my desk. Need one of those scarey emails to open.

It has turned cold overnight here. You would think I would be used to Oklahoma by now. Have you all gotten your flu shots yet? I don't think they are supposed to be scarce this year.

Hope I can lose weight eventually. Just kind of distressing. And remember, I am hungry too. Darn! Getting older is so much fun.

Hoping Wilma totally bypasses all land. When will it end?
Glenda
Old 10-20-2005, 04:54 PM   #5  
Super Surfer

Talking Hi everyone..

Glenda I got my flu shot on Monday. I am sure it was HITLER'S sister who gave it to me.... my God did it hurt. Today is the first day that my arm isn't sore. I also have a head cold, so you can just imagine all the whining that has been going on here. I had to laugh, you sound quite bored today. I wish I had something funny to send you. We baby-sat on Tue and are booked again for Monday the 24th. Lots of fun for us.
Ann & Karen I hope that Wilma doesn't come anywhere near you on its move north. I agree with you Ann about the media. They can scare the dickens out of you with all the coverage.
Karen What a good time for your kids to be out of Iraq. Looks like things are going to get worse with the trial. I am glad they are home safe and sound. What will they do for the cracked vertebrae?
Lily Nothing exciting going on in my life either. We did get a call from DH's sister. They are in the city for a couple of days, we will see them tomorrow.... this does not qualify as exciting though.

What are all of your thoughts on the impending Pandemic? Talk about scare tactic. Wish they would just get busy and find drug and then let us know we all need to be immunized.

The dessert choice question was tricky. I could have picked them all.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:29 PM   #6  
Web Nana

Nothing too exciting going on here either. DH, however, did make a decision on what to do about his knee. He set up a date for the Arthroscopy for Jan. 6/06 then had to change his heart dr. appt. to Dec. 21/05 because he needs an ok within 30 days for insurance purposes. He also has pre op scheduled for Dec. 20. He is also getting a disability placard for the car and we hope we can get it before we go to Disney. He has agreed that it will be wise for him to rent a wheel chair for our forays around the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. If possible we will try for the electric one so I don't have to push. There are days when he is really limping and others when it is not so bad. I am very happy that he has made this decision without any pressure from me.

Trudy: Ugh! Flu shots, we don't get them and knock on wood it has been OK for us.

Glenda: Let life be boring it is better that some kinds of excitement!

Lily: Just living in CA would be fun for me.

Ann & Karen: Our thoughts are with you both with the impending hurricane. Wilma may even impact on us here in the NE....at least that is what the weathermen are saying.

Hope Marie is not tiring herself out with the moving she is involved in.

Slavika, Peggy hope all is well with you.

Gloria
Old 10-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #7  
Life Time 2001

Glenda: I had one of those boring days Yesterday. Rarely Happens so I was really bored! Make the day go slow to.

Trudy: ROFL At HITLER'S sister. Must of hurt!
Dont know what to think on the Pandemic. Sometimes I just get so sick of listening to all the News.

Gloria: Think its a good Idea he does get the wheel chair when you go to Disney. That is alot of walking and it wouldnt be fun for hi. Glad he went and Made some desicions. Sometimes men are so strange when it comes to thier health. I know mine is.

Well Best get back to work
Old 10-21-2005, 07:46 PM   #8  

G'day all,

We are back
If I had known what I was going to be in for I probably would not have agreed to help.
Just to make you ALL tired this is what we achieved....
Arrived Friday night, up Saturday morning to be at the new house by 6.30 am to have a rubbish skip delivered. Skip was huge but we filled it within the day! Son-in-law had to work so it was just dh, dd and myself. We ripped out all the carpets and underlays, chucked out 1001 old pot plants, started to wash down walls in readiness to paint. Sunday started the painting, cleaned all the kitchen cupboards and linen press and relined it all with fresh lining. Sunday went to to the house with two more carloads and a trailer full of stuff, ripped out an old wardrobe, cleaned a laundry that had not been used for some time, more washing down of walls and more painting. DH changed ALL the powerpoints to more modern ones and fixed any dodge wiring. Monday more of the same, Tuesday more of the same. Son-in-law was able to get very little time off and our dd was a little embarrassed that it was all left to the three of us. He was then told he had to go to Adelaide (of all places for his work) and would not be able to shift the remainder on the weekend. We decided to stay an extra day and finished the lot.
Yesterday I awoke at 4.45am and thought we may as well get going, annoyed dh until he agreed that there was no point in staying in bed and we left Melbourne at a little after 5 am to arrive back in Adelaide at 2 pm.
What an exhausting week.
To top it all off, ds is in the middle of selling and buying and was temporarily short of $10 000, could we help out...so thank goodness for the internet, transferred that into his account.
Late yesterday afternoon we get a call from ds to ask if we could be guarantor for the new house, mortgage insurance is $13 000, with a guarantor he would avoid having to pay this.
Does any of this ever end for those of you with older children

I am sure you have heard enough of my week

Good to read all the emails and read the posts. Great news Karen about your children being home safe from Iraq. Trudy you made me laugh about the injection you got from 'Hitler's' sister, LilyI hope by now you are taking those lunch breaks Ann I noted your new email adress, I will be changing as well by the end of the year. Gloria I hope your daughters homes have dried out by now and your dh's health sounds like it is a bit of a concern Glenda when do you start to get busy again? Nothing worse than being bored at work, you could always plan a nice trip on the net rather than keeping yourself from falling asleep. Peggy hope all is well with you and also with Slavika and her dh.

We had quite a bit of warm weather and rain whilst we were away, all my roses are blooming and the weeds have also sprouted

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 10-21-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:03 PM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

Talking

Hi All:
gee Glenda: Had i known that you needed something scary, I had just the thing, but now it is gone. Hope next week will liven up a bit for you.

gloria: I'm sure you can rent an electric cart. When we went to Seaworld my friend rented one for her daughter. We were there about when the place opened up and she was the first one to get a cart, so she had a choice. later in the day we saw many people using them. It is very smart, and you get to go in ahead of the line many times. :

Maria: Reading about all you did made me tired. And why is it that weeds grow so much faster than anything else in the garden. I'm glad our grown kids are well established so we don't get calls like that anymore. My DH philosphy is that if you loan money to your kids, you better be prepared to consider it a gift, since somehow children don't seem to be too swift to pay back Mom and Dad. Not the same pressure as the bank.

Tomorrow is weigh in day again. I haven't been in two weeks, and I feel that I have probably gained. Won't know for sure until the moment of truth.
Glenda-We just haave to keep at it. We will have success.

Trudy: We have had our flu shots. While sitting in line, the person next to me traded numbers with his wife, so he wouldn't have to go to a certain nurse. It was a color thing. I said, what's the difference. Either one will give you the shot. He said oh a big difference. So I left the situation alone, but then he had to qualify himself, by saying, when he came in she was coughing and he didn't want anyone to cough on his arm. I just wanted to say 'get real' I had never happened to run into that situation, so openly, as that day.

Lily: I'll see now that we are set with our new isp what happens with any attachments i want to send. Did any of you get the one I sent with the subject matter -'the police'? It was so funny but I didn't get any response from anyone, so just suspected that it didn't go through.

Karen: The suspense is maddening wondering what Wilma is going to do. Are you still considering on leaving? If we had to evacuate we would just go to our church which acts as a shelter. I pray that won't happen. Poor Cozumel.That is going to affect their tourist business a whole lot.

Peggy: How many of the 'bra' purses have you made? My friend here hasn't done one yet, but she is planning on trying it.

Slavika: How are things with you and also with those granddogs. have you been doing anymore dog sitting?

I'll be in touch after my weigh-in with either a thumbs up or down.

Ann
Old 10-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #10  

Ann what are doing with Smokey if you go to a shelter?? We will just take Sprout and go up to north Florida. The weather men seem to think this will be a fast moving storm when it hits so I figure we'll just need to hang out for a day some where. I won't be leaving Sprout behind and it is hard to find nmotel who will allow animals. I figure if their not good enough for Sprout then not good enough for me either. But The track seems to stay the same and going to South Florida. And all we should have is wind and rain. Fingers crossed.

Maria, You made me want to take a nap. That was some week you put in. And I agree wonder if there will ever be a time when we won't have to rescue the kids. As to the weeds I know what you mean.

Haven't got the flu shot yet. Trudy that hitler sister shot giver was very funny. i sometime think they use square needles.

Well have to run. DH wants breakfast and i promised to cook

Bye
Karen
Old 10-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Karen: We could take Smokey in a carrier to our church gym. We took our dog last year, but I don't anticipate that we will have to do anything but stay home. During evacuations many motels will take a dog, when they don't regularly. but I expect you might have to pay a higher rate. If worse came to worse, we could leave her in the house. With a dog you can't do that, since they need to take outdoor trips. Smokey has her own potty, so she would probably be okay. I think she probably went through the hurricanes last year and that is how we got her.

I was so sure I had gained this week, and she told me down .4 As long as the direction is down, I'll be happy. All for now. Ann So a 'thumbs up.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #12  

Good job Ann. You are right any weight loss is a good thing.

I really don't think we will have to leave either. But we are prepared to go if the need comes about.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #13  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
My goodness it's been a long time since I posted or even stopped by to read the posts. Well I have read them all now, but of course once again I am not sure which person goes with which post. hee hee
DH is doing just super great and even his hair is making a come back......it's grown about 1/4". He said the other day that this is the best he has felt in 18 months. It will be a year next month that we got the news that he had cancer, but remember his back was sore way before that. Can you believe that almost a year has passed? Today is DAY 65 since his transplant.
Our DIL is suffering so much with allergies from the pups, (which I tried to tell them BEFORE they got puppies)....but nobody listened to me. She was allergic to our little Bichon, who did not shed and who I gave a bath to every week to keep the dander under control (so that she could "breathe" when she came to visit) and the dog lived in my house not her's and still when she would visit she would have a reaction. The situation is not good. She is taking medication and it's not helping, her doctor told her the pups must go, and she can't continue on like this for 10 - 15 years. Her heart is breaking because she doesn't want to hurt the children, yet even the children are aware that she sick with allergies. I feel so bad for them all, that I could just cry. Our son was here today and he said that it looks like they will have to find a good home for the pups and he is sad for the children and for his wife and of course they have all become attached to these little "hounds". ........including DH and me. I made them a special bed out of a new laundry basket so that when they visit they have someplace to go, and bought toys and treats and just love when they come over, but would not want a dog of our own now. Yikes......
I'll let you all know how the situation works out.
KAREN: I did make a couple of those cardigan type sweatshirts a few years ago. Because sweatshirt fabric does not fray you can simply cut down the centre of the shirt and then sew on a wider type binding right from the ribbing at the neck to the ribbing on the bottom. If you wanted to, you could put interfacing in between the binding to make it sturdier and make button holes on one side and sew buttons on the other, or simply just wear it open, or put in a zipper. The other option is those thingees, I think that are called "frogs" where you sew a loop on one side and the frog thing on the other side. You can buy such wonderful buttons, and things at Michaels Craft Store now to decorate with.
GLORIA, I like to wear jeans and sweatshirts in the winter too. I find that to be the most comfortable.
Although I still have the pretty swimsuit hanging on my TV room door, I am no longer stressed that I might not be able to wear it this winter. Maui has lots and lots of swimsuits(you're right PEGGY), I could just buy one in a size that I will be when the time comes. I saw the doctor on Thursday and he was not pleased with the weight I gained as I am diabetic, and my sugar levels are up. I have to see him in two months and he would like to see 10# less of me at that time. I didn't go to WW last week as I went to the hospital with DH but although DH has a blood test and has to see the doctor again this Tuesday, I am hoping I am back in time to go to WW. I will just have to try harder to get this weight off. DH is feeling so much better that I sure don't want to end up sick. I got my flu shot on Thursday too. DH can't get one this year because enough time has not passed since the transplant. The best way to protect him is for everybody else who is around him a lot to get the shot......and our whole family does.
KAREN, I am so pleased your son is doing well and that your DIL is back. YIPPEE!!!
MARIA, sorry to hear that you have been so sick, but it sure looks like you got a lot of work done. I think our kids need us and it it doesn't matter how old they are. Goodness I needed my parents right up to the time they passed away. I always knew I could count on them just like our kids know they can count on us.
Hi LILY, I am happy that you still get the chance to post but you sure are a busy gal.
ANN and KAREN I hope that "Wilma" stays away from you gals.
TRUDY..sorry you were sick with that cold and the boo boo arm. I was lucky that I did not have Hilter's wife giving me my flu shot. hee hee
GLENDA, my emails to you the last couple of days have been returned......do you know why??
Bye for now, talk to you all soon, and I loved all the fun emails you gals have been sending.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:02 PM   #14  

G'day all,

Well done Ann I gladly would take ANY loss Because of everyone being so tired we ate very little 'good' stuff last week. DH lost weight but I haven't even bothered to go on the scales, I doubt if I would have lost
New beginning next week.
Our philosophy is a little along the lines of your dh Ann however we have helped out both kids with substantial amounts of money and have always received it back albeit a little later then initially agreed at times.

KAren and Ann I will be watching the progress of Wilma with interest, I heard this morning that the hurricane has been downgraded but is still very destructive. Hopefully you came out of it all unscathed.

Slavika I just noticed you were posting at the same time....you know what they say So good to hear that your dh is feeling so well and that he is already at day 65!! Very sorry to hear of your d-i-l and the allergy. Our son in law suffers badly with allergies, it must be awful for her but at the same time to be on medication for the lifespan of the hounds wouldn't be such a good idea either. It must be awful for everyone to have to make the decision to find a good home for these puppies.

I looked after Matilda last night, she is becoming such a little cutie, giggles and laughs a lot of the time. I was not aware that she now rolls etc. in bed. She is still swaddled and I do that quite tightly, I had a bit of a shock when I went to check on her and she is sideways in the cot on her tummy...and still swaddled DS said that they could find her anywhere in the cot now

Off to a 60th birthday celebration today and then to ds to sign some papers for their house.

Cheers
Maria
Old 10-22-2005, 09:49 PM   #15  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone..

I had my MRI today. I was very, VERY nervous. On the weekends they don't have anyone there administering drugs, but they said I could take a Lorazapam/Ativan 1 hour before, so I did that. The tube is 8 ft long and the body part being scanned has to be at the 4 ft spot, so my feet were in the tube and my chest & head were outside. It took 45 min, and was very noisy. My DH was able to stay in the room with me, but we couldn't talk to each other. I had to wear ear plugs and he had on ear phones because of the noise. I am glad it is over. I felt somewhat ashamed for being so nervous, they give a lot of children MRI's, toys and little cots were in another room They sedate the children completely. I am not sure I would be brave enough to have my head or upper body done without sedation as I am claustrophobic.

On the way there we went through the Exchange District (an old business area filled with historic buildings that are still used), they were getting ready to shoot Brad Pitt's latest movie about Jessie James. They had a whole row of buggies, no horses. Lots of people were walking over to watch the movie being made. There was some talk about Anjelina Jolie showing up too...but who knows. I am not interested in standing there and watching.

So far, I have only purchased jeans and a jean jacket to replace the 3 bags of clothing that is going to Salvation Army. Today I saw a cute dark forest green suit at Slavika's favorite store. If I keep it, I will have to shorten the pants and take in the waist. I am a pear shape.

Maria I got tired just reading about the amount of work you did. We too, bend over backwards for our DD and SIL. They need something, they get it the next day.... we need something, we might see it a month later... my 'puter still isn't right... I cope.

Glenda my e-mails to you are coming back undeliverable too.... what's up?

Slavika I am so sorry to hear about the hounds. It is a situation that would have been avioded if they had only listened to "Baba's Words of Wisdom". I hope that something will work out for everyone concerned.

Karen & Ann I am always thinking about you two concerning WILMA. Did you hear another hurricaine ALPHA is on its way too? When is this season over?

We visited with DH's sister yesterday. They live in Alberta and come this way a couple of times a year. They have spent a lot of time in our 2 big casinos this trip. We knew they would want to go there and sure enough we ended up sitting in front of a slot machine. It took us about 3/4 hr to lose $20.00 and in that time his sister won $300.00. We left around 6:00, we had been there long enough. They stayed though, wonder what they were left with, probably lost it all.

Tomorrow we go to my brother's for his anniversary. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.... bye bye.

Last edited by Trudy; 10-24-2005 at 12:29 AM.
Closed Thread