UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:45 AM   #1  

Default A very long shot - Fat Units

Hi I hope someone can help me.

I know this is a very long shot but here goes.

I have been on a diet all my life (and who says diets don't work). I had a huge amount of success following a diet by Slimmimg Magazine some years ago. I can't exactly remember what it was called but it was based around counting fat units.

They published a small book about the diet apart from reviewing it in one of the mags. The book explained the diet and gave equivalent fat units for things that did not contain fat like fruit juice and vegetables so you could stay within a certain amount of units per day.

I found it really good and lost loads. However have also lost the book and cannot get it anywhere. I thought some seasoned slimmer may just have a copy.

I have contacted the mag, they cannot or will not help.

I know I can count fat now as in the magazine, for instance up to 42 gramms per day but don't know what to count for fruit juices and the like which contain no fat but lots of calories.

Jan
jano4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:35 AM   #2  

Hello Is this our old Jano or a new one?

Have you tried ebay for the book?
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #3  
Queen of Chaos!

Smile

I have a copy of Slimming Magazine's "your greatest guide to Fats & Fibre" which was part of their "Dieting Revolution" which was produced in 1986 it has a list of foods with fat units and fibre grams. Is this it?
Regardless, you are welcome to it if you want it! PM me your address and I'll bung it in the post!
mysticvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #4  

Default HI and thanks

Hi Veggie..... yes it is me, a very old Jano.

I haven't visited for a while, my weight as you can see is still a real problem to me and that is why I am asking for details of a diet I did years ago that really worked for me (yes I know, they all really work if you stick to 'em).

Well it looks as if mysticvix may have the answer to my question. I have sent her my details so I look forward to receiving the guide.

I just feel that I need something new/or old to get me going again. I can remember a diet to do with Dieting Revolution but surfing all I could find was Atkins. I think this one is by Professor John Yudkin? - I am so pleased.

Thanks to you all.I will pop in again
(PS Veggie what happened to Sarah?)
Old 10-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #5  

Yay I thought it was you

Weren't you about when Sarah disappeared? She had a bit of bad news in real life, took a break from the net and didn't come back.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:57 AM   #6  

Default Thank you

Hi all

I cannot believe that this time last week I was just thinking of searching for this book and with the help of this site, today I have it which is amazing when you think just how old it it.

Once again I want to thank mysticvix for taking the trouble to not only answer my post but for sending me the book in lightening time.

I have started the diet today and I know that there will be a time when I have to look at portion sizes but for now, lets just get back into healthy eating. Gosh reading this book takes me back 20 years!

Many Thanks again

Jano
Old 10-26-2005, 12:51 PM   #7  

3 cheers for Mysticvix
Old 10-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #8  
Queen of Chaos!

Red face

aw shucks LOL

Happy to help, I'm a bit embarrassed that I still had it! And even worse that I knew where it was
I've no idea why I kept it so long considering I never even tried it (It was originally my mum's, if I remember rightly)
I hope it does the trick Jano, and of course you realise I will be keeping a beady eye on your progress from now on!!!
mysticvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:35 PM   #9  

Hi all

Well this book takes me back a bit but I remember it well. I did this diet in the 80's. The book I have now is the revised one but I also had the original one. The revised was simply more extensive with more foods added. I just don't know why they don't update this, I feel it may be popular, I know of at least one other person searching for it.

It is to some extent a "free" diet where it says that you can eat as much as you wish of items with a '0' listing and maybe at 20 something, I could get away with that, but I know that I now have to be sensible about portion sizes but it does mean that I only have to count up to 10 per day and not slog over counting hundreds of calories or even WW Points. However, of course, some of the manufactured foods in there no longer exist so there is going to be a little guess work there. It is quite strict on fats, for instance a chocky biscuit is 1.1/2 points and if you are allowed 8 points per day (you can have between 8 and 10) you can see how they can be used if you are not sensible. Well i'm willing to give it another go!

I ned to shift some weight before Christmas.

Jano
Old 10-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #10  
Pending Email Confirmation

Welcome Jano, glad you got it sorted!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote