Old 10-17-2005, 01:35 AM   #1  
I'm a Loser!

Thumbs up Belly Dancing Videos

Hello everyone, I just bought Flex Appeal: A Belly Dancing Workout, and LOVE IT!! I was wondering if anyone has used any other belly dancing videos geared towards weight-loss? I don't just want to buy any 'ole video out there, but would love some feedback from other belly dancers. Also, I am still new to the dance, but am up to a challenge. Thanks!

-Lynn
LoserLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:54 AM   #2  

I've also been looking into belly dancing, its such a beautiful form of dance, and I have to admit my gazzell is getting dull. I'm going to check that video out, looking for recommendations too.
Testament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:02 AM   #3  

Hi all. I have veena and neena bellydance for weightloss. It's OK, but I prefer Bellydance fitness for weightloss with Raina. You really feel it in your stomach the next day. HTH
guapa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I just bought the Goddess Workout 3 dvd set (19.99 at best buy!). I've only done the introduction video but I LOVE it. It feels so good on your back and abdominals. I can't wait to work my way up to the more intricate stuff. The one dvd uses veils and finger cymbals. I watched through them all and the dances are so beautiful!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have tried all of the videos above mentioned, and I also have about 35 more-both workout oriented, and ACTUAL Middle Eastern dance instructionals.

I am a performing Middle Eastern dancer, and I have been training as a professional for the past few years from various instructors. I currently am in a performing company, and I teach classes myself.

I guess whether or not I can recommend them and "like" them depends on what you are looking for. Some of the videos mentioned are "workouts" and not proper Middle Eastern dance instruction. The Kathy Smith Flex Appeal workout is an okay "workout" for instance, and is good if you are just wanting to do exercise that is different from the average treadmill or yoga video.

If you are actually wanting to learn to belly dance properly though, I don't recommend that one at all-because Kathy isn't a belly dancer, and her form and rhythm are terrible. If you plan on just dancing in your living room then it will be just fine, but if you plan on taking any actual classes in the future, I don't recommend it, because you will have to undo some bad habits/bad form later on.

The Veena and Neena videos, and the Rania videos are also "workouts" for the most part, and geared for a mainstream audience and not professional instruction-BUT-they are actual belly dancers, so their rhythm, form, and other things are more correct. So, I would recommend Rania and Veena and Neena instead of the Kathy Smith one.

The Dolphina video is okay for a workout as well, but my only issue with that is that the camera work sometimes is focusing in one spot on her body, and you can't always see what you need to. (Like in a hip move, it focuses on her hips, and you can't see what her feet are doing.)

If anyone is insterested in a HARD, and awesome belly dance inspired workout though-I recommend "The Woman Power Workout". It is a long workout, and is partial strength training and cardio, then a belly dance cardio (done by the members of the Fat Chance Belly Dance performing company) followed by Indian flavored cool down and stretching. It has a very earthy drummy music along with it. It isn't available in stores though, you would need to order it from Fat Chance's website.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #6  

aphil, how are dolphina's videos as far as form and rythym? you mentioned that is was an okay workout, but not really what the dancing was like. that is the only bellydancing video I have so I have nothing to compare her to.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:27 AM   #7  

Dolphina's videos are okay as far as teaching you some of the basic moves. What most "workout" videos don't go into though, is proper dance form-such as where your feet should be, the posture-such as the alignment of your feet, hips, shoulders, and back...and other things that are important, not only for the best look when you dance, but for protection of your knees and back as well.
Of all Dolphina's videos, I think her original Goddess Workout one is the best. I have tried her Warrior Goddess advanced one, her veils, and her finger cymbals videos-and I don't recommend those three. If you have her original one, I would stick with that one from her series.

My big thing is that if you are only wanting to dance for exercise and enjoyment in your own living room, then do whatever videos you like and enjoy-but if you plan on taking a class in the future, there are some you should avoid, so you don't have to "undo" something that you learned and retrain yourself-which is sometimes harder than learning it the first time.

I do really like the soundtrack to Dolphina's original workout though-because it has basic rhythms that are even throughout the song-I often use it when teaching beginners, because the song rhythm doesn't "change" throughout the song.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #8  

What about Jillina?I've just bought her instructional bellydance 1? Thanks Aphil
guapa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:28 PM   #9  

Jillina is a wonderful dancer, and I like how in her mainstream videos, how she teaches a choreography, and breaks it down into small combinations. I think these videos are nice, if you start with some "basic moves" type videos at first. They are a nice addition once you are comfortable with the moves, and want to learn a "dance".
Old 10-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #10  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

aphil, this may be a goofy question, but is it also good as a strength/flexibility exercise for a weak back and abdominals? I'm assuming it is but I wanted to check with you before buying a dvd.

I don't feel that I necessarily need more cardio, but it would be nice to have another way to move around a bit on my non-cardio days, plus I'd really like to strength my lower back.

Would this be a good choice for that?

I'm also what you might call "kinesthetically-challenged." I have a hard time watching someone do a movement and then repeating it. Once I GET it, I'm fine, but it's the learning that's tough. Which of the videos you mentioned really does a lot of basic movements first (kind of like a pre-beginner thing) -- or do they all teach with equal detail at the start?

Thanks

Last edited by LovesBassets; 10-19-2005 at 05:00 PM.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 01:21 AM   #11  

Another question for Aphil! I just found what sounds like a cool DVD: My Personal Trainer - Bellydance Fitness with Rania. Do you know anything about the instructor or the DVD itself?
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2005, 01:35 AM   #12  

Aphil, I just noticed you mentioned Rania already so that is answered. Anyone try this dvd?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:30 AM   #13  

Rania "technically" is a good belly dancer-meaning she is good at it, and executes the movements well, but I think she is "cold" as a performer, so I have a hard time watching her dance after a while. She doesn't seem (at least on her videos) to be enjoying it, and she doesn't have any stage presence in all of the videos that I have watched. It is almost like she is stiff in front of the camera, and you are watching a mannequin dance.

Once again, if you are just doing it at home, then Rania's videos are okay. If anyone is actually wanting to further their education in it, and actually learn to dance, then I have other videos to recommend.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:50 AM   #14  

i have belly dancing hip hop hip drop it like a belly dancing mixed with hip hop for a more faster and for effective workout i love it i plan to but more
skinnylivinin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:30 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesBassets
aphil, this may be a goofy question, but is it also good as a strength/flexibility exercise for a weak back and abdominals? I'm assuming it is but I wanted to check with you before buying a dvd.

I don't feel that I necessarily need more cardio, but it would be nice to have another way to move around a bit on my non-cardio days, plus I'd really like to strength my lower back.

Would this be a good choice for that?

I'm also what you might call "kinesthetically-challenged." I have a hard time watching someone do a movement and then repeating it. Once I GET it, I'm fine, but it's the learning that's tough. Which of the videos you mentioned really does a lot of basic movements first (kind of like a pre-beginner thing) -- or do they all teach with equal detail at the start?

Thanks
What I think is important to understand, is that belly dance strengthens and works your body differently than any traditional forms of exercise, such as strength training with weights, aerobics, walking, and the like.
As far as it training your body "differently", I mean sort of how yoga lengthens and aligns you, and improves your flexibility like no other forms of exercise do.

Whether or not belly dance strengthens your core depends on what aspects of the dance you are doing. The belly dancing that "I" do strengthens my core and back-but I do a lot of Turkish Folds, or what they call the "belly dance backbend". I also do a lot of belly rolls and other movements that really take a lot of back and abdominal strength.

Everything in belly dance does something different-if you are trained by an actual instructor and dance "in posture" you will gain a lot of strength in your quadriceps (front thighs) because of the position you dance in. (We dance tail tucked, feet pretty close together-about the space of a third foot in between them, shoulders down and back, chest lifted slightly, and knees BENT. Almost in a semi-squat. We are in this position about 85% of the time!!!

If you do a lot of veilwork, shoulder shimmies, and arm movements-you are going to gain strength in your arms and shoulders. If you do a lot of hip work-hip drops, lifts, figure 8's and such-you are going to get your oblique muscles (side abdominals/waistline) a lot. If you do a lot of zils/finger cymbals-you gain strength in your wrists and forearms. If you do a lot of moves in semi-tip toe like in Tunisian or Egyptian-you are going to strengthen your ankles and calves. There are so many movements, and so many aspects of the dance that the possibilities are endless where strength is concerned.

You CAN shape up almost any area of the body through Middle Eastern dance, and it is very good for the body, but if you are wanting to shape and strengthen something in particular, you have to hone in on an aspect of the dance that does that.