Old 10-16-2005, 01:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/175/145

Height: 5' 3"

Question Calcium supplement

I wasn't sure where to post this so I'll give this a go. I love milk, but where I live it is pretty yucky. I do eat diet yogurt, but not every day (the grocery store only has it sometimes and if they do you have to be there on that day or they are gone-overseas living-gotta love it!) I think I should start taking a calcium supplement. What should I be looking for in one? Do I need one if I am already taking a multi? Can you take too much?
Thanks a bunch.
Pools
pools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 04:32 AM   #2  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Cool

A multi usually does not contain enough calcium to fulfill dietary requirements (most people need 1000mg a day, adolescents need 1300mg) - so unless your diet has enough dairy and other calcium rich foods (certain legumes, fish & shellfish, and veggies) supplementation may be the way to go (I don't have dairy often so I take it.)

Be sure not to go above 2500mg a day tho (upper tolerance limit for most)

Now, as to what to look for in Calcium Supplement:

1. Vitamin D & Magnesium - particularly the former (both help absorb calcium, and recent studies show that many people with supposed calcium deficiency are actually getting enough calcium, but not getting/making enough Vitamin D to help it get absorbed.)

2. Multiple sources are best - a blend of different calcium complexes is best for easier absorption by body. (Calcium Carbonate, in particular, is harder to absorb--particularly on an empty stomach)

3. Should not be more than 500-600mg (half your dietary intake)per "serving" - your body cannot absorb much more than about 50% of your DV in calcium in one sitting, so any pills lauding extra calcium will merely just go wasted and unabsorbed (I personally take a serving in the morning, and a serving in the evening)

4. Also, best taken with food to help absorption.

5. Of course, as with any other dietary supplements, be sure to consult with your doctor about this to avoid drug-nutrient interactions and side effects.

My personal calcium supplement is Nature Made's Advanced Calcium--the pills aren't enormous and each only provide 25% DV of Calcium (which makes it easy to adjust how much I take in through supplementation, if I happen to have a lot of dairy that day, I can reduce my intake at night or the next morning) It also has all the other stuff to help make the calcium easy to absorb too.

Hope that helps!
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote