Old 10-13-2005, 08:38 PM   #1  

Default How do you handle your weigh-ins?

Tomorrow will mark 2 weeks since I joined LAWL and 11 days on program. Due to my DD school schedule, we weigh in on Mondays and Thursdays right after school and Saturday mornings.

I understand that there will be fluctuations. I expect that. So, I determined that our "real" weigh-in, the one that counted would be the Saturday morning one since that would be more consistant.

Okay, I know all that. However, we both showed a gain Monday night and then a loss tonight. But, I keep thinking "not enough time to be down 2 pounds by Saturday morning" over and over.

How do you keep the frequency of the weigh-ins and the resultant fluctuations from doing a number on your head - even when you already know that they are only fluctuations due to food/fluid during the day?

Andi
wtxchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:50 PM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

As a former WW too, I know it feels odd to WI three times a week. Even when I have a small fluctuation, despite knowing the reality of the slight gain and why it occurs, I still sometimes get annoyed and worry that next time there might not be a loss at all. Its a head game every single time. I wear the same clothes (the WI pants are now hanging off and I change into them in the bathroom when I get there!) and never eat before WI and go when they first open in the am- NEUROTICALLY, cos if I change a thing, who knows, I might be up an OUNCE! Anyway, try to put it out of your head cos from my experience in 8 weeks, it all evens out and the loss WILL BE amazing if you stick to the program. I was up 4/10ths on Wednesday, but you know what? WHO CARES..I know my size 6's are very loose and when I started, I was in 8's, so thats good enough for me, LOL!! Youre doing awesome, keep going
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:01 AM   #3  

Andi don't know if this would be to much for you, but I weigh myself at home in the morning when I wake up (after my morning bathroom break) and use that as my weight. By the time I put on clothes and eat and drink it always says more at the center, but I have started to train myself to only count the weight I get at home and to just go in there to go get the "counseling". I tell them often when they say I went down or up that by my calculation I went up, or I went down and I ask for help based on my scale at home, so even when they say I went down a pound, (becaus i had on jeans and a sweater the time before) I will tell them, no I am up 1/10th, here is my diary what is going on?

I don't necessarily weigh every morning, because sometimes I am too busy, but I don't really worry about anything that is not a first thing in the morning weigh, because if you read back far enough you will see that when i first started, I weighed myself about 20 times in one day and almost went crazy
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #4  

Andi - I understand what you mean - for me weight loss is never an even 2 pounds a week even when I'm POP. Some weeks more, some weeks less. I think that if we go thru a period of little change, the counselors will recommend a shift in what you eat by looking at your diary. If that STILL doesn't work, then they will check with the nutrionist.

LAWL does focus lots on the scale. They do take measurements - supposed to be once a month, but I've had to remind them -

When you did WW, did you lose 2 pounds each week? I always did Sunday WI's, which kept me honest on Saturday -

Truthfully, I think that one of the things that more often WI's have done for me is to get out of the focus that weekly changes are important. (I've just realized this) It's really recognizing the change in the scale over time and celebrating each loss. I do weigh myself each morning at home - it's how I start the day in a POP frame of mind. It starts me focused on plan. But this is me - it drives other people crazy. I know that when I'm on plan I do lose. Eventually.

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:20 PM   #5  

Shennie, I feel sort of like you! I have become scale obsessed - and I do know better! I even moved mine into the kitchen to aide in the obsessive behavior!

As for WW, no, while I did lose every week, I lost in a "spurt-like" pattern. One week, I might be down .8 and then the next week lose 3. I am wondering whether they pattern will happen again on this program. Of course, I was very conscious of eating foods that cause water retention 2 days before my Wednesday weigh-in - no pickles, saurkraut, hotdogs or Chinese food!

My problem, I suppose, is my tendancy to use all those "stupid weigh-in tricks" at every single weigh-in and I am already driving myself up the wall.

I did think last night after I posted this that I might ask them to weigh me on Mondays and Thursdays and not ring the bell or tell me what I weigh. Then, I can focus on my Saturday weigh-in. Does that sound okay or am I just wigging out again?

Andi
wtxchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:26 PM   #6  

Andi~ if you think that is what works for you then go for it!
shennie_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:36 PM   #7  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Andi-

They should be more than happy to do that for you-it's even a suggestion at my center if you are worried about becoming obsessed. You can just turn around on the scale and they won't tell you your weight. Of course-you'd probably have to remind them each time!
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:34 PM   #8  
Marching To Her Own Beat

Since weight fluctuates on a daily basis, I normally take the amount lost from one week to another. Sometimes I go up a bit for a couple of my weigh-ins, but then I have a bigger loss the following week. That keeps me from driving myself crazy...LOL
herownbeat is offline   Reply With Quote