Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #1  
Duranie forever

Default For those of you that do the elliptical

How do you beat the boredom? I moved it into my living room so that I could watch TV while I did it, and still only managed 15 minutes. Any tips?
Collgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:19 PM   #2  

It really helps to tune in to what you're doing, really listen to your body and observe what happens as you progress, speed up, increase/decrease the incline, etc. In fact, I prefer to do cardio with NO TV, book, magazine, etc., because I feel I get more out of it. I DO play music, but mostly just to help me keep a steady pace.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #3  
it's always something

I mainly use a treadmill, but also have an elliptical. I buy mp3s that are fast and that I enjoy. I only listen to them when I'm exercising. When I'm tired, I'll often find myself thinking "just one more song". It really helps the time to go faster for me.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #4  

I watch tv.

You say you had to give up after fifteen minutes of doing this. Let me ask, can you watch tv more than fifteen minutes at a time when you are not exercising? If the answer is yes, then maybe boredom isn't really the problem here. Is it possible that you're getting tired and discouraged?

If it is in fact the case that you can't watch tv for more than fifteen minutes at a time, or even if it a case of you getting tired, still no problem really. Do fifteen minutes on the elliptical two or three times a day. Another option is that you might want to try reading on the machine instead of watching tv.

If everything fails though, you can always ask yourself a question. Is it worth a little boredom now to get healtier and thinner later? For me, losing weight is hard. I get hungry alot. I don't always feel like exercising. I find myself making excuses to stop doing things I ought be to doing. But I hate being fat and unfit more than I hate the processes that will change that. Ya, sometimes exercise is boring. It's worth doing anyways.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:28 PM   #5  

I'm just the opposite Funniegrrl, I like to get involved in something else so I can lose track of the time and I'm not constantly thinking of how much longer I have. One thing I do is tape shows I'm really interested in and only watch them while on my Gazelle. Also, something I used to do all the time when I used a treadmill was to check out books on tape from the library and only listen while I walked. There's nothing like letting yourself get lost in a great book! I highly recommend it!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:58 PM   #6  

While it is very convenient having exercise equipment at home I would still suggest that it not be your ONLY form of exercise. If you are bored on the elliptical save it for a rainy day or one when it is too hot or cold to exercise outside. Walk, jog, do jumping jacks - whatever - sometimes too. Try a video instead, something, ANYTHING different.

Personally, I exercise at the gym and I went through a phase with the elliptical. It was my favorite thing and I did it every day - day in and day out. I swear, I walk into the gym now and can't stand to look at the things. Since you've invested money and space to purchase one don't let yourself get to that point. Otherwise you are going to end up with a very expensive clothes hanger.

I will add that any exercise goes by faster with good music. And I am a magazine reader - trashy tabloids are the best for me because they don't require a whole lot of thought or attention. It is just enough to keep me occupied during my workout but not so engrossing that I slow down without noticing. I think if I tried to read a book I'd get lost in the words and end up just standing there!

But, when I exercise outside (walking, jogging, bike riding, or roller blading) I do what funniegrrl suggests. I consider that my opportunity to really pay attention to my body and marvel at how far I've come. It encourages me to push myself a little further each day.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #7  
Cynical RedHead

I have a home elliptical - and i will watch tv or put in a dvd - but i currently use it only if the weather is too extreme to go outside and walk or run, and I do at least 30 minutes.

I originally bought it when i was in school so I could cancel my gym membership and save money. At that time, i went for 45-60 minutes at a time, 4 or 5 days a week. And I just refused to get off until i had done at least 45 minutes.

When I go to the gym, I typically use the elliptical - but my gym has flat screen monitors on all the equipment - I put my headphones on and jack into the music channel (there is usually a decent mix of videos) and again, don't get off until i have done at least 30 minutes, whether I am bored or not.

Jawsmom - i agree completely that it should not be your only form of exercise. We just joined blockbuster online, and I have been ordering exercise dvds to try out. FishMan keeps bumping his war movies ahead of my exercise dvds, but I have done two different videos now, and copied one of them because I enjoyed it so much.
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:24 PM   #8  
bouncin' along

I had a really hard time doing more than 15-20 minutes when I first started. So I just started increasing the time I was on by a minute every day or so. Now I am doing 30 minutes twice a day. I also do jumping jacks and sit ups and some stuff like that.

I usually watch a movie or listen to some fun music (from the 80's)
beachball_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #9  

When I do the elliptical at the gym, I wear my iPod and play my "hard workout" playlist. It has songs by Metallica, Godsmack, Rob Zombie--all heavy, driving, fast songs. I change tempo and resistance with each song. The playlist is also on "shuffle" so there's no way to predict which song I'll get next. It keeps it interesting.

On the treadmill at home, I am set up behind the couch (which is in front of the tv). Instead of just "walking-walking-walking-BORED NOW!" I do 10 minutes on the treadmill, then a round of upper body/ab exercises, then 10 more minutes, then another round, etc. I'll do that while 'watching' shows like Celebrity Fit Club 2 (which sadly has finished now), The Biggest Loser 2 (just started!), and House (medical drama).

Sometimes if the treadmill is truly a revolting concept (hey, it happens) I'll just go ride my bike or wander around my neighborhood. The key is to have options, and to explore different things that work for you. I've been exercising consistently for 15 years (yeah, I'm one of those 'fat but fit' people) and you really do get to the point where it's something your body craves. Patience and options are the keys.
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:20 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishWoman
I have done two different videos now, and copied one of them because I enjoyed it so much.
You know that's not only unethical, but also illegal, right? If you want a copy of a video you need to purchase it, even if you purchase a used copy.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #11  

yep funniegrll if the police arrested all the people who did that we would have to let out all the rapist and murderers just to lock the video, copiers up. I agree though but lets start with the people who go over the speed limit, then the jaywalkers. In fact I feel every home in America could be checked daily to make sure they dont have any illegally copied videos. but I don't think they should get the death pentally that would
a little harsh maybe. oh sorry for being off topic Collgall music works for me
flipafart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #12  

This isn't something that I'm going to continue to comment on, but I'll respond this way:

First, where did I say ANYTHING about the violation of copyright law being equal to or worse than rape, murder, etc? And where did I say anything about enforcement, etc.? Please apply a little logic and common sense if you're going to present a contrary opinion, and don't go off the deep end in hyperbole.

Second, I take that, based on what you said, you consider theft OK as long as no one was physically harmed? If I walked into a store and just picked up a candy bar and walked out with it, that's OK because it's no big deal compared to murder?

Or, is it just OK if you don't get caught, and no one should ever look to catch such transgressions? I'm sorry, but that doesn't fly. As with everything, if people only did the right thing when they knew they would get caught otherwise, it'd be a pretty sorry world. The chances of being punished for stealing copyrighted content and the priorities of law enforcement aren't the point here -- ethics and the intent and fact of the law are.

If you don't think copyright laws are ethical, then please do write to your legislators and ask to have them repealed. Until then, don't imply that I'm some sort of irrational tyrant because I point out that a behavior is not ethical according to current standards of Western society, nor is it legal.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #13  

Funniegrll, my intent was not to attack you personally. If you think so then I deeply
apologize. I was poking fun at the system. nor am I advocating that anyone do anything illegal. It was a joke thats all and the only reason I directed it at you was because of your name.( I am so sorry if I have in anyway offended you) I promise to be more thoughtful in the future. and once again I am sorry if I have upset or offended you personally. I would never want to do that to a fellow human being.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #14  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

now what kind of chick fight is that?
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:51 PM   #15  

Thumbs up good job Gina

The only thing I fight Gina is fat. but look at you. You have lost over 80 pounds dang woman. It looks like you are a fighter and you are doing a dang
good job. You keep up the good work.