Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-22-2005, 10:14 AM   #1  

Default Breaking the crazy cycle...how???????

I am a 29 yo mom of 2, happily married, a little stressed out but nothing too extreme. I have a history of eating disorder back 6-7 years ago which I have now partly under control. BY that I mean I don't have full blown bulimia/anorexia anymore but it is still in the back of my mind sometimes, especially after a big meal.
Anyway, the reason for my post is the following:
After the birth of my 2nd child 7 months ago, I managed to lose about 50 pounds which put me at 5 lbs from my goal and that was 2 months ago.
Well, I have gained 10 of it back within 2 months and I am ready to go ahead and lose the 15lbs and be at goal for christmas but I can't seem to control my nightime eating, no matter what.

I have tried to plan things, do some work etc etc but I still pig out and feel crappy the next morning so I don't eat breakfast and am ravenous by dinnertime (but hunger is not the problem here )

I need support and guidance in getting back on track.
I do exercise about 4 times/week running for 4 miles or 45 minutes but all it does it make up a little bit for the huge amount of food I eat after the kids are in bed.

HELP!!! I seriously need HELP!

Thanks for reading .
ellasmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #2  

One thing that would definitely help break the cycle physically is to eat the way you know you should the next day after a binge. By not eating all day, you are setting yourself up for binging, and you are also encouraging your metabolism to slow down. Even though you feel physical hunger isn't the root of the problem, you are still doing things that cause your body to scream for food. It's a completely normal, hard-wired survival response. Add to that the strength of the habits you've formed, and you've got some pretty powerful urges. You've convinced your body all day that there is no food to be had, so when you do finally eat it screams, "Food! Eat! Eat more! We don't care if you're hungry, there may be another famine tomorrow! So load up!" In addition, you are giving yourself huge blood sugar spikes and troughs, which contribute to your feeling bad. What you're doing, while not intentional, is still a binge/starve cycle, which can certainly be an ED manifestation, even if no purging is involved.

So, regardless of what you eat tonight, tomorrow start the day with a healthy breakfast and eat a real, healthy lunch, etc. Try to have something to eat every 3 to 4 hours, even if it's just a piece of fruit for snacks. The model of 3 meals and 3 snacks per day for whatever calorie level you are on is an excellent way to boost metabolism, keep your blood sugar on an even keel, and keep you from being so very physically -- and mentally -- hungry when you do eat. You won't break the cycle in one day, but if you are very diligent and consistent about eating according to this pattern, you should find that those night eating urges lessen. They may not ever go away completely, but they won't be as strong and they'll be easier to fight.

Also, if you pay really close attention to your body, you'll start picking up on more subtle signals about when you need food and when you don't. A lot of overweight people get used to "full" being absolutely crammed to the gills, and "hungry" being ravenous. We get this feeling that only eating when we're faint from hunger is somehow "right" or virtuous -- look how strong we are! We can ignore our hunger for a long time! The problem is that that is abusing our bodies and keeping us from being in tune with them. One thing that's really hard to learn -- and it CAN be learned to SOME degree, I'm proof of that -- is that we usually need a little fuel before our stomachs start rumbling, and our bodies are satisfied long before we feel "full." It's a more narrow range than we are used to dealing with. That's not to say that the voices of habit and compulsion will shut up, mine are still pretty loud and want me to eat regardless of how ... satisfied ... I am. Still, by feeding our bodies at regular intervals and giving it what it truly needs, we can help things along immensely.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #3  

I followed your advice and had breakfast this morning after having a regular dinner and not pigging out last night. So I just finished a banana and I am now drinking my 3 cups of coffee (I know I know).
I am going to "punch pizza" with a friend for lunch and I'll be sure to make a healthy choice.
I am hoping to be back on track as of today.
I have to change my tracker as I weighed in at 133lbs this morning so 13lbs to go to be where I wanna be.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my post, it did help greatly.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasmom2
I followed your advice and had breakfast this morning after having a regular dinner and not pigging out last night. So I just finished a banana and I am now drinking my 3 cups of coffee (I know I know).
I am going to "punch pizza" with a friend for lunch and I'll be sure to make a healthy choice.
I am hoping to be back on track as of today.
I have to change my tracker as I weighed in at 133lbs this morning so 13lbs to go to be where I wanna be.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my post, it did help greatly.
Hey, I just went to Punch a week ago...and I live in CA usually! Go for one of the salads--they're HUGE, but not heavy on the dressing. Watch out for the foccaccia that comes with it, though! It's got salt on it, and that'll make you bloat up (if you're sensitive to that).
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:17 PM   #5  

Well, I had the pizza but I am not a crust eater and I had the margerita one so its not tooooo bad I think.
It looks like I am back on track. I have not pigged out in 2 days and I went for a walk today so that's a good sign.
Thanks for your encouragement.