General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 01:10 AM   #1  
Work in Progress

Default Starved on FX

OK, I usually hate shows like this but I have to admit l LOVE this show. It is a story about 4 people with eating disorders that all belong to a support group called Belt Tightners. It is the opposite of support groups, insulting you and telling you that you can't do it a very exaggerated obviously campy manner, After each share they all chant IT'S NOT OKAY and the characters all thank them not quite knowing why they keep showing up at these meeting...

Has anyone else seen this....I can totally see why some people would be insulted, I usually am, but for some reason this show really shows how hard it is to be overweigh and have an eating disorder. In it's humor it shows the painful part of feeling different and out of control.... it is very real...the writer is one of the charaters, the heavyset character who keeps chickening out on WLS.....

ANYONE???

Last edited by Rowan Bailey; 09-14-2005 at 10:55 AM. Reason: added some more stuff
Old 09-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #2  

Yes, I too watch this show and I must say it has become my guilty pleasure. It's smart and funny but what annoys me is that it only comes on kind of late so sometimes I have to record it
Old 09-18-2005, 05:37 PM   #3  

Yeah, I'm hooked too. At first it was like a train wreck, I was horrified yet I couldn't seem to turn away. And now I've fallen in love with the characters and crack up over the... ahem, off color humor? But it has become a little deeper in the last few episodes, so I wonder if they're purposefully trying to make it a little more mainstream, as to not offend so much of the general population? I imagine they've received quite a bit of backlash over such a touchy topic.

Beverly
Old 09-20-2005, 04:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

I too love this show, but keep missing it due to the time! I think I relate most to the "main" character. (The skinny guy with the anorexia who is in love with the girl on the show. ) I thought I would hate the show, but surprisingly, it is actually compassionate. It shows the ugliness of an eating disorder, but also the humor. Surprising how realistic it is. So many people have food issues and eating problems. All of us going through this inner torture, starved for love and acceptance. I hope it gets renewed for another season.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #5  

Is this the support group for the show Starved? I like the show too and try to remember to watch it, but it's so late, I'm half asleep when it's on.
When I first saw the show, I was really taken by how well written it is and the characters are actually like people. I get such a kick out of it when they go to group, get chewed out by the leader (therapist?) and then thank her for it. The entire show is so interesting and I am so tired of reality shows.
I wish this would catch on, but I think it's on too late and just hasn't been advertised that much.
Glad I'm not the only one that likes it. It seems like I should be saying, It's not ok, to like the show, even though, I do like it and I do think it's ok
Nikki
Old 10-09-2005, 12:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I only saw a couple of them, but it was really good. I just never seem to remember when it's on. The last one I saw was when the heavy guy collapsed when he checked into the hostpital. What happened to him?
Closed Thread