Old 09-13-2005, 02:16 PM   #1  
Living the Laguna life...

Default working long hours AND working out?!?!

hey guys!
i need some advice...i just graduated from college in june, and i am starting my first real full time job this week. i am worried because my job involves lonngg hours (8 to 8 type of days), and working out at lunch is frowned upon (you have to be available to come back into the office asap if you are out at lunch). in college, i would go for a run or go to the gym whenever i had a free hour, before dinner, after morning classes, etc. now i am worried that i won't ever have time to workout. i am also living in a city where running it isn't very smart to be out running after dark, and my gym is far away from my apartment how do you balance working loonnngg hours and still finding time to workout? thanks!!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #2  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

That's tough! I workout early in the morning before I have to leave. I am taking 14 credit hours plus work about 30 hours a week. The only time I have (that I trust I will actually do it) is before I leave in the morning. You don't have to go to the gym or run outside to get a workout, get some videos, get some simple gym equipment for your house (they don't have to be expensive). Don't let your thought process fall into the mentality that you won't really be able to do it! Join a closer gym if possible. If you really want to fit it in, you'll find a way, no matter how busy you are!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Ouch, that sounds rough! I manage to fit in working out best first thing in the morning, before coming in to school/work.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Yes that schedule is tough for working out. Like the others said I would aim for a morning work out, because after a 12-hour day I couldn't make myself go. Also you could try walking at lunch. If you have to go back to the office one day no big deal, and you maybe you won't be so sweaty that you need to change.

Also could try shorter workouts on weekdays and longer on the weekends maybe?
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:30 PM   #5  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I agree with everyone so far. Morning work outs are the best way to insure you get your workout in your day. You have to make it a priority and it usually involves changing somethings and giving up somethings (like staying out really late or drinking during the week..) but it is worth it!!
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Ditto! Mornings are the best and everyone gave really good advice. Try setting your alarm just a little bit earlier each day and do a short DVD or jump rope session until you are awake for a longer cardio/weights routine.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:26 PM   #7  
Totally motivated!!

I'm pretty much opposite of what everyone just said! I have to get up at 4:45AM as it is now to get to work/school on time so morning workouts are totally out for me!! I just make sure that on the way home I grab a snack (fruit, etc) and I get on the treadmill as soon as I get home. I think you just have to make it a part of your daily routine. I know that's easier said than done. Like some of the other girls mentioned, since your gym is far away try finding some DVDs/videos that you can do at home. Hope it works out for you!
gammagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:05 AM   #8  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

You live in an apartment... do you have room for a mini-exercise bike and some small weights? I know Sharper Image sells wee little exercise equipment, like steppers and bikes, that can fit into a corner of a room.

Back before I joined a gym, I did exercise bike 4 x a week, and weights, push-ups, and sit-ups three times a week. Not as great as running, but cheap and convenient.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm in the same boat, I can't figure out where to fit it in. I tell my self to get up early but I still can't seem to get up early enough and still get my son to school and me to work on time. I'm in the middle of moving and I just switched jobs at work so I still not in a steady schedule. I hope I will be able to figure out a time slot soon. Will you work 8-8 everyday? I hope if you are you only have to work 4 days a week or somthing. that is a rough schedule.
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree with Gamma--as it is, I get up before the sun (4:30am), work full-time form 6am-2pm, then part-time from 4pm-whenever (sometimes I don't get home till midnight!). I joined agym that is close to my job(s) so that I would be able to work out in between (40 minutes on the elliptical is all I ever have time for, but it's better than nothing!). Is your gym a chain? Could you transfer to a gym closer to home? Or I also like the idea of workout videos at home at night. However, I refuse to do them because I live on the second floor of my apartment building, and I'm always afraid the people downstairs are like watching pictures fall off the walls and stuff while I'm bouncing around to my tapes upstairs There are more, err, less bouncy exercises you could do at home, though. You could just do some crunches, lunges, push-ups, and such when you get home at night (and stretching--that will help you calm down from a stressful day, too ). Good luck!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #11  
Living the Laguna life...

hey guys!
thanks for all the wonderful advice...jennie, i am in almost the exact same situation you are in...just started a new job, just moved to a new apartment, haven't gotten my first assignment (i travel with my work), so i am stuck in limbo...i talked to my boyfriend last night and he reminded me that life is all about taking one step at a time. so for now i am going to set my sights on getting through each day with at least one successful workout, whether it is in the morning or at night. though as soon as i can get on a regular schedule, i am going to definitely start working out in the morning! thanks again, i hope everyone is having a wonderful day!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:02 AM   #12  

I just graduated from college in May, and my work schedule sucks too. My recommendation would be to invest in a couple good work out videos. Work out videos are the most convenient things to squeeze in whenever. Working 8-8, you could do one at 6:00 in the morning so you can relax when you get home from your busy day. Great videos that I love! include Tae Bo, Billy's Boot Camp, the Firm, and (surprisingly) Carmen Electra's fit to strip (it is volume 2 of her series). The Firm requires the most equipment.
caitietee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #13  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I am totally with everyone on the morning exercising! I usually workout after work cos I get home at 5:40 so there's plenty of time to workout before "him indoors" gets back! But I have scheduled in an extra training session late tonight so I moved my usual weights to this morning and I'm loving it! Because I only had so much time to do it in as well I really upped the pace and was sweating like a pig by the time I'd finished! So far I'm not feeling too tired either!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:42 PM   #14  
Sara G.

I also work 12 hour shifts. But luckily my gym is at my work. I work a variation of 7:30a-7:30p and 11a-11p, so when I work the 11:00 shifts I usually take that day off from working out... or if I had a bad work out week I will go work out before work. It's really easy for me to work out at 7:30pm though. Good luck on figuring out a solution.
Laila_girl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #15  

As previously mentioned, videos sound perfect for you.

Amazon.com is great- you can get used videos/DVDs for next to nothing. I buy a bunch at a time, try them out, and stop watching them if I don't get into it after a time or two.

The trick is finding a video (or a bunch of them) that don't feel like working out- you'll actually look forward to getting home from a long day and popping in the tape.
jennab0benna is offline   Reply With Quote