Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-12-2005, 05:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Boredom eating

Well, as some of you who have read my profile and my intro, today is day one for me.

See, my problem is, I'm a boredom eater. When I'm just sorta sitting around I get the urge to eat...Kinda weird I know, but common as well.

Around here, its kinda hard to go out and do something because of a few things; 1. I have no car to go to like the mall or the park that has a hiking trail across town.
2. ATM we are preparing for minimal bad to severe weather cuz of that damn storm that is just sitting out there.

So, what do yall do? I'm about to go out in the back yard and start picking up the stuff that can fly away easily.
SillyFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:49 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

What I do right now is just eat. LOL Not my advice however. But I'm about ready to deliver and can't seem to be on my feet for more than a couple hours at a time. Spend most of my day in bed now, with an hour or two on the computer. So...I eat, cause I'm bored.

But before now....I would get up and march in front of the TV for lack of anything else. No car? Get a bike and ride around or just take walks in the neighborhood...when the weather holds out that is. But whenever you feel the urge to eat out of boredom, do something to get your heart rate up and reduce your boredom. Get up and march in place, pop in an exercise video, or just call a friend/relative and pace while talking on the phone.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:57 PM   #3  

I've always eaten out of boredom too. More often than not it isn't because there aren't things I could be doing but that I don't FEEL like doing them. So, as obvious as it seems, it took me forever to figure out that if I just got up and got busy - threw in that load of laundry I'd been avoiding, swept off the deck, unloaded the dishwasher, whatever - that the urge to eat would quickly pass.

Sometimes it helps if I think about what I would get out of the kitchen if I allowed myself to give in. If nothing special comes to mind then I know for certain that it is just a case of the munchies and that it will pass. If I truly am craving something in particular then I'll log it into fitday.com and see how it will impact my overall daily calories. That alone is usually enough for me to decide that the snack isn't worth it. But, at least if I do choose to eat I know ahead of time what the consequences are going to be.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:13 AM   #4  
Collie Mommie

I eat out of boredom, especially a couple of hours after dinner, after it is too dark outside to go walking and nothing on TV (only a week or so before the new seasons of everything, though - haha), so I bought word search books and pull out one of those. If I am VERY bored, I will pick a drawer and go through it or clean one room, like the bathroom or the guestroom. I have 2 collies, and they can always use a good brushing, so I can do that. Sometimes I cross stitch or crochet. I have a lot of half finished projects around my house.
Also, if I am eating something, my husband always asks what it is, so the shame factor keeps me from eating anything that is bad for me. I try to keep fruit and veggies around for these later snacking sessions. And microwave popcorn, which I can share with my husband and the dogs.
MTHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 PM   #5  

i'm a serious, serious boredom-eater. what i sometimes do is drink water, a WHOLE lot of it. a lot of the times, i try to find something to do online. other times, i remind myself why im trying to eat less, etc, think about my progress, etc. and other times, i make random lists of things that ive always wanted to do, etc.
pimpishboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:52 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

When I'm bored, like at the moment, I come to 3FC read and get motivated.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:26 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
When I'm bored, like at the moment, I come to 3FC read and get motivated.
That would be nice to do. But I can only take about an hour at the computer, and that's alternating between a donut coushin and my body ball to sit on. Ouch.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:08 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven
That would be nice to do. But I can only take about an hour at the computer, and that's alternating between a donut coushin and my body ball to sit on. Ouch.
Oh, that IS painful , you poor thing, when is the big day?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:56 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
Oh, that IS painful , you poor thing, when is the big day?
The 23rd, if not sooner. He's sitting real low, but I've only dialated 2 cm...but that's not a real indication as a friend went from 3 cm into labor overnight.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:40 PM   #10  

Well so far, I'm happy to say I havent done any boredom eating. LOL I colored...Silly as it sounds..it relaxes me.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:35 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I actually faced this problem last night. I was home at a decent hour for the first time in forever. I took a nap until about 7:30pm, and when I woke up, I wasn't hungry, but I just wanted to EAT. I went into the kitchen and opened all the cabinets, looked in the fridge, looked in the freezer...my revelation: I don't have any foods that are easy to eat! All of my fruits and vegetables are frozen (not to mention that everything in my freezer is meticulously arranged to actually fit everything and would require a major puzzle time to find and remove just one item), I don't have any snack foods (pretzels, chips, crackers, cookies, ice cream...), and I don't have any meats that are already cooked. If I wanted to eat something, I would have actually had to take the time to thaw, cook, and/or prepare it, so I ended up not eating anything at all, because even though I was bored, I am just as lazy, and I wasn't about to cook anything and have to clean up after myself
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:17 AM   #12  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like the same plan as freezing your credit cards in ice so you have to think about it before you use them...EXCELLENT...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg excellentkitty.jpg (18.9 KB, 40 views)
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #13  

chick_in_the_hat- That picture is awesome LOL
Old 09-16-2005, 11:30 AM   #14  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

It cracked me up, too...Mr Burns - the kitten version...a friend made it.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #15  

My favorite boredom eating trick is the mint tea with splenda. It works both ways - as a satisfying sweet alternative and because it fills you up a bit, so that you feel full.
NinaV is offline   Reply With Quote