Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:38 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 8/22 - 8/28

Starting the thread - be right back
Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #2  

Carla - I hope your meeting with the dietician goes well today. I definitely think the decrease in discomfort in walking will be a good motivator. My .02 would be to mix it up. I really think variety is important. Too many people do the same thing over and over and again - it's no surprise that it gets boring and who wants to stick with something that's boring? Do you get FitTV on your cable? Even with all the videos I have at home, I've been taping and doing some of their exercise shows for the variety. Junie B. Jones is wonderful and BIG YUCK on MaryKate and Ashley! You are right - lack of desire is a big part of Anthony's problem - and I don't think he sees reading as something that is worthwhile and even fun for the adults in his home. Sigh - I still plan on doing what I can but as you said before, it's a thin line I'm walking and I know that I'm limited in what I can do and say. Hey, great job at the Polish buffet!!

Welcome Cindy! The summer time can be very tough to stay on program - add stress to that and well, there we are. Still, I think you'll find this is a great place with great people and lots of support!

Rachel - sorry to hear that you've been sick - I hope you are feeling better. Hey, don't worry about the gym - I really believe that when you are sick your body needs its energy to heal - the gym will be there and you'll be back to it. Good for you for counting the cookies - and don';t feel bad - we all slip - the key is to count 'em, forget 'em and get right back on program.

Sorry I've been AWOL. I decided that I needed to buckle down the last few days and get ALL my school work done by the end of the weekend so that a) I could go to my parent's pool today (my sister is going too) and b) so that even though I have to go to class Tues, Wed and Thurs I will be DONE for the summer! So that's what I did - pretty much non-stop work, except for a quick trip to the vet on Friday. Thursday night I felt a lump on my cat Smokey's back - definitely contained in the skin but he had a basal cell removed from under his chin a couple of years ago so I was concerned - enough so that I hardly slept on Thursday night. Long story short - the vet is taking it off tomorrow (she's not in Mon and he had already eaten) and basically told me not to be concerned - she'd take it off and send it off to the lab - and she agreed that it's all on the skin. I was totally exhausted Friday - really walking around like a zombie so I decided not to set my clock on Sat morning and, no surprise. slept through my meeting. I've been so-so on the weekend - no real challenges (except the Goobers Tony brought home on Friday - but he promised me not to bring any junk into the house this week) just a bit too much snacking in the evenings. My exercise has been good and I'm DETERMINED to stick with a cutoff time tonight (I sound like a broken record, don't I?). I decided I have to deal with that one night at a time. I can't wait to get away - we leave Sunday for 5 nights at the beach.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 08-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #3  
Back on Program!

Default Monday weigh-in

Well guys, I weigh exactly to the ounce the same as I did last week!
That's better than a gain, and I'm really not too surprised considering I was feeling sick all week and didn't exercise except one day. Even though I didnt' go over my points allowance for the week, I didn't exactly make good choices. I had a lot of junk food and pizza too. Not as many veggies as I should have and not enough water (my lips are even chapped! your body really does need plenty of fluid when you are sick!). So this week I am back on track. The cold is still lingering but I feel much better, so I went to the gym this morning. I tell you I had NO motivation and didn't really want to go at all, but I feel much better now that I did!
Here's to a week of healthy foods, water and exercise!!

Carla, let us know how things go, okay?
Judy, I am crossing my fingers for your battle with the cutoff time! 5 days at the beach will be just what you need!!
Kelly Jo, I am waiting to hear the news of your latest success at the scale!
And looking forward to hearing from you too Cindy!

Everyone take care!
Old 08-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #4  
kellyjoiii

S/C/G: 225/225/165

Height: 5'7"

Ok Ladies I have a few mins to weigh in and I am happy to report a loss. I am now in the hundreds. 198 to be exact. I am so stoked. I have NOT been in the hundreds for over 6 yrs now at least. I bought some 18s the other day (on vacation) and now I know they could be put in the dryer. That is a feat all in itself.

Carla, Good luck at he dietician. I hope you get what you need. Let us know how it goes.

Judy, HAVE AN AWESOME time at the beach. You deserve it.

Rachel, Good for you sticking with the exercise. I know what it is like when you are sick...heck I didn't exercise last week when I was sick. Good going girl. As for the weight, I only lost some because I was pukin. It will happen too (think of all that muscle you are making.)

Cindy, welcome to the group. You have picked a great group to join! They have and do every day ...help me greatly!

Here's to a great OP WEEK! (Yeah, I caught that catch 22, yes, I weigh less but have dropped to the next bracket for points and lost 2!! Yuck but Yeah!)
I also wanted to say that I bought some morningstar chicken patties (NOT) but it was AWESOME!!! Just like having a breaded chicken patty sandwich! Wahoooooo I am hooked!
Keep up the work ladies! I am off to Walmart and back to exercise and figure out dinner!
Old 08-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all,

Judy - First off, I'm thinking good thoughts for your Smokey - hope he recovers from the procedure quickly. Don't worry, he'll be fine. Great job on putting your nose to the grindstone and getting all that work done. You'll appreciate the beach even more. Gosh does five days at the beach sound good. I love the beach. Good luck in doing what you can with Anthony. You're a very wise step-mom. Goobers, huh? If I were you and Tony brought Goobers into the house, I'd have to kill him, just to make sure I could eat all the Goobers. As for my exercise, I think that each morning I'll just decide what seems the most tolerable that day - walking or the bike - and do that. As for FitTV - we don't get cable, so that's out. I'm wishing you luck with your cut-off time. One night at a time.

Rachel - Congrats on your maintain. To me, that's a victory when you've been sick. I bet that you've been retaining water and you'll drop a couple your next weigh-in. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. And a big pat on the back to you for getting back to the gym. A big part of this battle is just doing the things you have to do, whether you're motivated or not. As Oprah said re: exercise on one of her shows the other night: You don't have to like it. You just have to do it. Definitely words I need to live by.

Kelly - A big Atta Girl to you for your loss and for getting into the one hundreds! You must feel great. I know that one of my major milestones will be seeing that first number in my weight change to a "1". Way to go!!! Yeah, it's kind of a bummer to lose those 2 points, but you'll adjust. I love the Morningstar products. If you like buffalo wings, try their's. Also the Philly cheesesteak "burger".

My meeting with the dietician went well. Basically she devised a 1500-1600 calorie diet plan with my allowed servings of carbohydrates, meat, veggies, and fats spread out over three meals. Carbs are of course the biggies in controlling sugar levels. I'm allowed 17 servings a day (a serving being 15 grams); 4 at each meal and, get this Judy, I'm to have one serving of carbohydrates as a bed-time snack, in order to avoid the night-time dip and morning spike in sugar levels that happens. Who knew. A lot of what she went over I knew from my years on WW, but I learned some valuable things like: milk counts as a carb serving, a serving of pasta is one third cup, etc. She extolled the virtues of peanut butter and suggested that I forget the sugar-free, fat-free foods and just eat the real thing in controlled portions when I have room for it. Just as WW does, she stressed that there's nothing I can't have as long as I plan for it, although there are some choices that aren't wise to make, like table sugar. And I can deduct fiber grams from the carb counts on foods because the fiber doesn't affect sugar levels. Sound familiar? I'm glad I went, especially for the meal plan. Basically it's just going to be additional label reading and tracking (I'm still going to count points, at least for now). I have to do some grocery shopping, so I'll probably starting tracking on Wednesday when my WW week rolls over. And now to finish getting ready for tomorrow: first day of school! Yay!

Have a great evening.

Carla

Last edited by cece; 08-22-2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:27 PM   #6  
kellyjoiii

HELP HELP HELP I have FALLEN AND I CANT GET UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.
Man, that freakin step back on the wagon is too far and I will be refreshed in the morning putting my freshest step and face forward. I will not work out today (nor did I yesterday) and I will just take it one day at a time. I tried on a dress at walmart yesterday and it was a 16 then it was all down hill from there. I am holding myself accountable with points too many to actually count. I am starting over from day 1 tomorrow. I will be back tomorrow and set my sights out in the open again. Heres to ya girls! <Holding up a cheeto to ya'll><Now putting the cheeto back in the bag and steppin away from the bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!>
Until tomorrow girrrrllllllllllllllllllllls
Old 08-24-2005, 07:45 AM   #7  

Hi all.

Kelly - Here, grab my hand and I'll help pull you back up on the wagon. There you go! Getting back on track after a mis-step can be so hard. I find, too, that after I've done well for awhile, I get cocky and start eating poorly again. And that is how I find myself starting over and over and over.... I know you'll be staying on the wagon for awhile - you've done too well this far not to.

I'm happy to report a 5.8 pound loss today! Imagine, if you stay on program, the program works. I still have to get going with exercise, but yesterday I did make the walk to Ana's school and back twice, so it's a start. And now I'm off to get everyone up and fed and off to school/work. Talk to you later.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 08-24-2005, 10:09 AM   #8  

Rachel - you are right - a maintain is better than a gain. Yup, water is key - glad to hear that you are feeling better and back on track. Thanks for the encouragement - yup, 5 days at the beach will be glorious but there are eating challenges!

Kelly Jo - Huge congratulations for being in a new century - that is an awesome accomplishment. I've tried other Morningstar Farm products but not the chicken patties - I'll have to check them out - how many points are there? You are right - start from day 1 and step away from the Cheetos! Seriously, we all fall down but the important thing is not to beat yourself up (does no good, acyually makes things worse), get up, dust yourself off and get back OP. Ditto what Carla said - I do the same thing (about getting cocky - which is my story the last couple of weeks!)

Carla - Fabulous loss - that must give you a whole bunch of motivation! Great going - yup, I LOL about Tony and the Goobers. The visit with the dietician sounds like it went really well and contained some verrryyyy interesting info (including the thing about the carb snack before bedtime!) Good for you for walking back and forth to Ana's school. How did her first day go?? Yup, I know that if I stay OP it works - so how come I keep straying into the same bad habits?? Did the dietician give you any info on snacks - I mean are you allowed any (beside the one before bedtime) - just curious since you know that evening snacking is my downfall.

Well, first off things went well with Smokey. She got out what she called the tumor and said that she'll "let the pathologist tell me not to worry". Thing is, Smokey is supposed to wear one of those big collars that keep an animal from reaching the stitches. They had to take the collar off yesterday so I could put him in the carrier and after I let him out of the carrier at home and put the collar back on him, he went tearing around the house (scared the living daylights out of me) and eventually ran down to the basement, knocking the collar off in the process. He was downstairs most of the evening although he did eat first when we fed him downstairs and came upstairs later in the evening when we fed the other kitties. He did come upstairs last night, jumped up on my lap and enjoyed scratches and rubs, purring and then went back downstairs again. I haven't tried to put the collar on again because I don't want to freak him out again. He's still down in the basement, but is not hiding - he's just sitting quietly on the padding of my QVC Pilates reformer. He doesn't seem to be paying any attention whatsoever to the stitches and I think for today, I'm just going to leave him be. Of course. the fact that we are going away on Sunday makes me nervous but my cousin's brother (who adores cats and goes to the same vet as we do) will be here every day to feed them so I guess that eases my mind a bit. Tony and I are going to see what's what tomorrow - maybe we'll try the collar again or take him back to the vet (as they suggested yesterday) for a collar that he can't get off. Anyway, I was pretty upset last night but I didn't go nuts on the snacking. Most of the evening I sat and went through 4 months of bank statements that have been just sitting there and balanced the checkbooks. My sneak peak was better than the horrific one yesterday although I know I will still see a gain on Saturday. Oh well, I'm just going to try to stick with the program and try to pick up the crocheting tonight (since there are no more bank statements!). I didn't exercise yet today - I think I may do a little yoga after class this afternoon. It does feel great to be done with the school work except for going to class.

Off to get my hair cut and colored and then lunch and class.
Have a great one!
Judy
Old 08-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #9  
kellyjoiii

Carla, ummmmmmffffppphhhhhhhhhhh uhhhhh thanks for the hand up! The view sure is nicer up here on the wagon! Ok, Today is a new day and I am taking my gain with a grain of salt. I weighed in today (since it is my "day 1") and am not happy but need to deal with my own mess up. I did this and noone else can be blamed. I am fixing to get the other half of my work out in for a total of 45 mins and have started my journal again. I started a new journal (with the other within reach if I need it LOL) and have taken my measurements again. I have a goal of exercising 6 days a week now.....I am getting a treadmill on Friday and will continue walking (or should I say start walking again) and there are only three and a half more weeks for this initiation for DH so then things will be back to normal there. I think that may be a little of the problem but like I said...It is ALL me. Thanks for the support girls and Judy I hope things go well with Smokey. Have a great lunch and hair appt and If I dont talk to you have a great week at the beach!!!!

Rachel, I hope all is going well and will be happy to see what your hard work is doing next week. Hope you are feeling better.

Ok, gotta go meet up with Leslie to walk/jog and will check in tomorrow or later. Have a great day girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 01:20 PM   #10  
Back on Program!

Hi everyone!
WAAAAY TO GO CARLA with the walking to school and the weight loss!!! Very proud of you! Keep it up!
Judy, hope the kitty is not messing with the stitches and if not, I say just leave him be. That's my vote!
Kelly Jo, I know what you mean, after I weigh in if the numbers look good, the temptations seem to be easier to give in to! You will be fine. I bet all that exercising you are doing is making up for most of the cheating. And I know how hard it is when you have to be the "single mom." Don't beat yourself up!
I have been home with an entire house full of sickies, they all got my cold and the girls have sinus infections (went to the pedi yesterday). Sent one back to school today but the other is still sick, along with the hubby. I am going to sneak in a bike ride later since the gym has been out of the question, and since I ate pizza for lunch (I counted it!).
I still have 2 more challenging days ahead. Tomorrow evening I am having a party at my house (I sell Southern Living at HOME on the side, mostly to help finance my decorating habit, so it's an open house for the new catalog). We will have appetizers and drinks and I will do my best, but I want to have fun to! Then Sunday is a big family bbq with out of town relatives. However I will be hosting the bbq so I can make sure we have some healthy choices. Still, if my brother in law brings his homemade refried beans, I'm done for!! So just pray for me girls!
Talk to you soon!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #11  

Hi all,

Judy - I'm glad to hear that all went well with Smokey. I'm hoping he's healing well and leaving his stiches alone. I know neither of my guys would have tolerated that collar at all and would have been very vocal about letting us know it. As for snacking, the only snack that the dietician wrote into my meal plan was the evening one. The other two snack options, morning and mid-day, she left blank. I plan on calling her about the mid-day snack because I just cannot make it from lunch to dinner without a snack. Right now I've been doing veggies, specifically brussell sprouts, which I love, but that's going to get really old really quickly. I'm hoping that some days I can hold back a carb serving to have as a mid-day snack, so I can have a glass of milk or a piece of fruit instead. As for why we keep straying when we know staying OP works - if we had an easy answer to that, we'd be rich. You're leaving for the beach on Sunday, no? Have a great time!

Kelly - How's the view from the wagon? You have a great attitude. And it's great you're taking responsibility for the slip-up. I think that's key. Enjoy your new treadmill and hang in there until your husband's training is over and life is back to normal.

Rachel - I hope your family is feeling better. How did you do at your Southern Living party last night? I'm sure you'll do fine at your BBQ on Sunday. Enjoy some of the beans if your BIL brings them - all things in moderation.

I've had a good couple of days. I've been below or at my target. I've been doing well with getting my carb servings in when I should. Fats and meats I'm having a bit more trouble with, both getting them in and getting them in where the dietician designated. But, I have more wiggle room with moving those servings around, so I'm ok. I find that I end up distributing my points far more evenly among my three meals and that's probably a good thing. I've continued walking Ana to school and the last two days I continued on and walked to work (another 5-6 blocks). So between getting her to school and picking her up I'm getting about 40 minutes of walking in. I really need to do more continuous exercise, but this is a start. My only challenge this weekend is that we're going to the Latin music festival in the city this weekend. I think I'll be fine though.

Have a great day and a terrific weekend.

Carla
Old 08-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #12  

Kelly Jo - good for you for getting back up on that wagon. I'm sure you will love the treadmill and I'm sure it will be great for things on the homefront to get back to normal. Thanks for your kind words about Smokey! I hope you don't have any problems with the hurricane. It's fixin' to rain on my week at the beach, but no damage possibilities so I'm not complaining (well, not really).

Rachel - I hope the hurricane leaves you alone - it seems to be turning west so I think you'll be OK. Sorry to hear about the house full of sickies - I know that makes things tough and you are doing great - good luck on your challenges. I'm sure you'll do fine - it DOES help when you're the one planning the party menu. Hey, if your bil brings those homemade refried beans, allow yourself to have a taste and try to limit it to that. I find that if I totally deny myself at a "do" it ends up making me feel deprived and then I blow it.

Carla - I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well, both with the servings and with the walking!!! Hey, 40 minutes a day is nothing to sneeze at.Stop selling yourself short, girlfriend - that is a GREAT start! Are you eating raw brussel sprouts??? I love 'em cooked but have never had them raw.

Well, things with Smokey went downhill on Wed night - he started picking at the stitches and we just knew we had to bring him back into the vet Thursday morning. Also, I was so beside myself that both Tony and I were worried about leaving Smokey while we are at the beach (yes, we are leaving tomorrow). Even though Steve takes great care of the kitties, I didn't know if Smokey would even come out for him, plus I don't want to put that responsibility on him. Tony was even thinking of cancelling vacation thinking that I would just worry the whole time. Sooooo, Wed night, we did a little walking through the Yellow Pages to find a cat-only place where Smokey could spend the week (my vet's is out for a lot of reasons - we are going to change vets anyway). We called and visited a place on Thursday after taking Smokey to the vet (collar is back on, stitches are OK and he has antibiotics) and he is going there today. I know he won't be happy but I also know that he will be well taken care of and I will be able to relax knowing that he is getting that care. I was pretty ticked off at the vet - she told me the reason they freak out with the collar is that it cuts off their peripheral vision and it takes about 12 hours for them to adjust. Why she or anyone in the office didn't tell me that when I picked Smokey up on Tuesday, I don't know. It could have saved us all a lot of problems - had I known, I would have taken him right upstairs to the spare bedroom to get used to it, which is where we ended up keeping hiim on Thursday. We let him out yesterday and he has been pretty OK.

My weigh in this morning was terrible - up 2.4 pounds -expected but still disappointing. I had a long talk with my leader this morning. We talked a lot about the menopause factor and also what to try for next week. She suggested I try core for next week - there's plenty of good fresh food (and seafood) out there and it will also help me relax and focus less on the whole thing. I definitely need the relaxing and I also think (as does she) that shaking it up and eating different foods will be good all around. So, that's what I'm going to do and I'm feeling good about the change. Of course, with the hurricane related rains expected Tues & Wed (at least, maybe we can squeak out some cloudy days on Sun & Mon), the tennis will be limited but I'm taking some yoga stuff out with me. I have my crocheting and the new Harry Potter book so I plan on trying to relax, recharge and eat healthy for the week.

If I don't get back here later, have a great week everyone!
Judy
Old 08-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

Default Weigh in

My weigh in day is going to be Sunday, even though I actually started on a Monday...workdays are hectic for me.

Anyway, despite my crash and burn start I'm down 5 pounds....Go figure! I have to say though, it doesn't seem real. I actually weighed myself a couple of times to make sure there wasn't a scale snafu...
Cautiously encouraged...
Lynne
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 AM   #14  

Lynne - Way to go! See, you must have done more things right than wrong. Great motivation not to crash and burn again, right? :-)

Carla
Closed Thread