South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #1  
Who needs sleep?

Default Phase 1 foods

I read over the food list (several times now!), but I have a couple of questions.

First, I read that vegetable juice is allowed - but what about V8? It has carrot and beet as well as spinach etc, but the Avoid list doesn't say to avoid any beverages except alcohol, sugary drinks, fruit juice, and fatty milk. So is the amount of sugar in V8 from the carrots and beets minute enough that it's okay?

Second, I downloaded flagirl's SBD recipe collection, and there is a yummy beef stirfry recipe that is supposed to be ph1 - except it calls for a little cornstarch. Now I know that SBD is flexible, and ph1 recipes often use a small amount of a forbidden ingredient such as wine or lime juice, but I thought I'd better check and see. I remember Ruthxxx telling Weezle she had to wait on her sf pudding because it had cornstarch, so I wasn't sure about it.

The last question - I saw that cool whip lite and free are okay on phase 1, but when I was looking at the cool whips, the ones I looked at both had corn syrup (not high fructose, just plain). I thought those were cw free and cw lite, but maybe not? Did I have the wrong items?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:02 AM   #2  

Smile

i think it's more about how much of each you're taking in. you aren't gonna have a relapse if you drink a small glass of V8 or have a dabble of whipped cream on something.. like a spoon, would be great!! LOL but, i Googled fructose and that's what i've gathered so far. lol maybe someone with more knowledge can better assist you.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:23 AM   #3  

v8 is fine and the free cool whip is good too
Old 08-19-2005, 04:19 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Don't sweat the tiny stuff or you'll go nuts.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #5  

I don't worry about using a little cornstarch in phase 2 but you might try to use arrowroot instead on phase 1. It is more expensive but it works just as well and is totally approved for phase 1.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #6  

6 oz. of V-8 a day is fine. Corn starch used as a thickner in Phase 1 is fine also, but pudding is for Phase 2. Not sure why. 2 T. of cool whip a day is fine. Reddi-Whip would probably be a better choice, but both are fine.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:54 PM   #7  
Who needs sleep?

Thanks for the info, everyone! DH will be happy he can have V8 - he doesn't like tomato juice nearly so well!
Closed Thread