Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 01:06 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - Wk of August 15, 2005

Good afternoon ladies! It's a beautiful day here...the humidity has broken for the time being so I took advantage and went out for a walk over the lunch hour. It's refreshing to not go outside and sweat!

The weekend was pretty dismal here--humid & overcast on Saturday and Sunday it was rainy so I didn't get to do any outdoor work.

I did make some ratatouille in the crockpot on Saturday and it turned out really good. I used the recipe from the Turnaround Cookbook and put it in the crockpot rather than cooking it on the stove.

So how was everyone's weekend??
Old 08-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #2  
si, si signora

Hi Melissa.

We're still eating the ratatouille DP made last week. It can make a lot when you are not in the mood for it.

Glad to see the weather is changing a bit.

Things here are okay. Ate too much, stressed out a bit, went to a good celtic fiddling concert on Saturday night, went blueberry picking on sunday, tried to stay out of the heat which was partially successful.

Even though I am pushing myself at the gym, I can't seem to get the food thing under control.

I have a busy work week, busy life week, concert on Wednesday, dinner out on Thursday, early morning flight to London on Friday and a weekend about gardening 8 time zones away and trying to get some stuff taken care of.

What is everyone else up to this week?

lala
Old 08-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #3  

Height: 6'0"

The weekend was pretty nice. Played golf with DH (and I beat him by 2 strokes--didn't rub it in). On Saturday went shopping and found some really cute clothes on sale. On Sunday, I went to a concert where a friend was singing. She did great! I also worked in the yard and finished up the 31st bag of mulch (that's it, I'm done!!!)

I ran 2 miles yesterday (yes, I walked some); I'm trying very hard, but it's tough to run. DH just seems to go and go.

I made the Taco Soup the other day and that was good. We even had leftovers. I made chicken kabobs on the grill yesterday and DH was still hungry!! That was a lot of work, too.

This week I continue to rehearse for the play. On Thursday, I'm taking a vacation to play golf with DH on a brand new golf course in our area. It's supposed to be long, so we'll get our money's worth!!

Hi, Pam, Susan, and Austingal.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:27 PM   #4  

HI Ladies,

Kind of a dreary Monday. Rainy and overcast and still really hot. We didn't do much over the weekend. Saw the movie Must Love Dogs which was OK. Stayed away from the malls since it was "No sales tax weekend" here in MA and I figured the stores were going to be mobbed. We had no large purchases to make so we didn't shop. Finalized our plans for a November trip to Miami. We're also going to see the Dolphins play the Patriots which will be fun. Other than that not too much.

Lisa you're beginning to beat your DH regularly golfing. You go Girl! I've heard of Taco soup but don't have a recipe.. would you mind posting it for me? I'm always looking for something different to make.

Lala You've really got a lot going on. Hope the stress is under control. I know when I'm stressed I tend to make some pretty dismal choices foodwise. How long will you be in Londaon?

Melissa I hope your pleasant weather is headed our way. Are your son's back to school yet or still enjoying summer vacation? This summer really seemed to go by quickly.

Hi to Susan hope you are enjoying your vacation and Hi to Austingal.

Have a good day ladies..talk to you tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:56 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi all,

Going home after 10.5 hours here. Me thinks that I'll be able to take a few vacation days soon.

Going home to make a thai cold noodle salad with chicken and coleslaw and cilantro. WIsh me luck I'm winging it.

Pam --- I love John Cusak, so I could be happy watching that movie.

lala
Old 08-16-2005, 08:00 AM   #6  

It's going to be a hot one here today--95 and heat index of 105. Yuck.

Pam, I'd be happy to post the Taco Soup recipe. DH really likes it and it's so easy--2 points a cup. I'll try to remember to bring it to work tomorrow. I had heard from others that "Must Love Dogs" was so-so.

lala, Mmmm Thai cold noodle salad with chicken sounds good. Could you post a recipe?

Play rehearsal went well last night although one of the cast members is on vacation--that makes it difficult. I have to pretend my husband is there and talk to "air." I'm going to an audition on Sunday for "Urinetown--the Musical." It's a kooky show, but has good music. I don't know how good my chances are, but I'll give it a shot.

Hi, Melissa, Austingal and Susan.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:00 PM   #7  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

My salad was pretty decent. Will post recipe when I can. I made it up, so I'll try and recreate.

Its nice and cool here now. Should only be 73 today. Yipee.

Ran/walked for 3 miles today. Using 40 minutes as my base for 3 miles. Hoping to shave a minute off every few days.

Well, off to a meeting that will drive me crazy, but its short.

more later,

lala
Old 08-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #8  

lala, that's great that you can just throw things together and make a new recipe. I'm a recipe cook; not much of an imagination I guess. 73??? That sounds wonderful; I'm envious.

I'm also envious of you running for 3 miles--that's ambitious. I ran 1/2 mile without stopping or walking and I was proud of myself and then I think of DH who runs 26 miles. Oh well.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #9  
si, si signora

Lisa -
I alternate, run/walk for one song. Usually 4 mins of each. I haven't even attempted running a full mile in a while. I'll try that when I return.

Please don't get bummed when you think of your DH. We all have our talents and hobbies. His just happens to be stranger than the average bear, especially in the FL heat.

You are doing great!

Okay, one meeting down, waiting for boss to review changes to the 19th iteration of the same map. After that, I'm going to start on my office again. It is still a pit.

lala
Old 08-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #10  

Pam,

Here is the recipe for Taco Soup:

1 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch dressing

Brown meat in large saucepan, drain grease, and sprinkle the two packets on it.

Add the following (do not drain the liquid from beans and corn):
1 15 oz. can pinto beans
1 15 oz. can black beans
1 11 oz. can corn
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 c. water

Mix together. Bring to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

2 pts. a cup.

Had a good rehearsal last night. I'm going tonight to help paint the set. We open Labor Day weekend.

Today is meeting city--I have meetings almost all day.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:53 AM   #11  
si, si signora

Hi everyone.

I only have one meeting today. I am happy.

Off to the gym. It rained last night, so the lawn and my beds are happy. I'm not sure it is so good for my tomatoes. We're starting to see some blight. However, it feels like fall and its both good and bad.

We went to Target last night (first time in months) to get stuff for my aunt in London (ziplock bags and underwear - don't ask) and I was overwhelmed by the school supplies and the number of kids milling about around 9:30pm. We were in bed earlier than that, even in the summer. Anyhoo, it was nice to see all the new stuff and get some school supplies to donate to a shelter.

Other than that, chugging away. I can't believe Labor Day is a little over two weeks away.

Yikes.

Hi to Melissa, Pam, Susan, Austin and everyone else lurking.

lala
Old 08-17-2005, 12:32 PM   #12  

Hi Ladies,

Lisa thanks so much for posting the Taco Soup recipe. I think I may try it this weekend. Some people at the company I work for went to see Urinetown on Broadway last year. DH and I were considering going, but then decided to pass. A friend of mine went and really enjoyed it. Good luck with all the meetings today.

Lala I think Lauren and I will be doing some back to school shopping this weekend. Fall is definitely in the air. I'm also a John Cusack fan...have been since I saw him years ago in "Say Anything".

Hi to Melissa and Susan. Hope your both well. I may be back later today.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Lisa: Thanks for the recipe! Good job on your running I have no desire to start running any distance--I'm happy walking and I figure I'm saving my knees. It's hard to not compare ourselves to others and what they're doing. DH is back to working out/running and I get a little envious that he is so committed to it.

Lala: I noticed a lot of harried parents in the stores over the weekend getting school supplies/clothes. I'm thankful DS #2 wears a uniform--less stress all the way around!

Pam: Yes, fall is definitely in the air. We've been experiencing cool mornings/evenings and warm days, although the forecast is calling for the return of hot/humid weather beginning on Friday.

I went to my meeting today at noon and I was down .8--the weight is slowly coming off. I'm still a little frustrated that it comes off so slow but yet goes on quick! I'll keep plugging away. I'm really working on getting my milk in and those 8 habits--it's a lot of work! Anyway, life is moving along. The tomatoes in the garden are slowly beginning to ripen; we could use some more rain to keep them happy.

Hi to [b]Austingal, Susan:/b]!! Hope you're having a good week.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #14  
si, si signora

Hiya everyone.

Lisa -- I forgot to ask, what is urinetown about? I guess I can google it. It just sounds, so, well, stinky.

Melissa - congrats on your loss. It will come off. Do you like cottage cheese? I am eating a cup a day with a peach (fresh) and it is quite lovely. Glad to hear that DH is back to working out. I am all for school uniforms, makes life easier.

Pam -- I love say anything and lloyd dobbler was/is a dreamboat. That movie was shot in Seattle, ya know?

Susan- Hope all is going well with you.

Hi Austin!

I'm off to the gym to do weights with trainer. I had a very stressful day at work that made me late for my cowboy junkies concert and when I got home I realized I made a stupid mistake on a map that we needed, so I went into work to fix it. Started on something that I need to finish today and figured since no one was around to bug me, I could work better. So, I stayed a few more hours. I am paying for it now.

However, since I have a meeting, a seminar and I'm sure more distractions, it was good to get the majority of it done early so that my boss can tell me what he wants changed. I swear I was hired into my new job to do data management and consulting, not to make maps!

sigh.

Have a calcium filled, stretchy and good choices day.

lala
Old 08-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #15  
Ready to Offer Support!

Default Busy week!

Hi, all! Thanks to all the "hellos" as I lurked earlier this week.

Well, the kids are back to school. DD started middle school without too much trouble. She is within walking distance from our house, which is nice. Except that she has to walk home in 95-degree heat. Not sure what the heat index is, but it has been pretty humid.

DS has started high school, and has about a 40-minute bus ride. The buses are not air conditioned, so he is pretty sweaty when he finally gets home.

I have tried to make myself a cheat sheet from this week's posts, and have surmised names. If I got it wrong, let me know.

Lala - your noodle salad sounds great. I make a similar one that I got from Cooking Light - with shrimp instead of chicken, but either will do. In fact, I sometimes leave out the protein altogether. On those days, we just eat it with a side of cottage cheese - yum! The whole family likes this one -- see recipe at end of post. Have a safe trip to London. Am impressed with your 3 mile run/walk -- see coments to Lisa, below. Like Lisa, I am soooo envious of your weather.

Lisa (Domina) - Sounds like Austin and your part of Florida are having the same kind of sweltering heat. Yuck! I am impressed with your two miles of walk/run. Half a mile without stopping -- you go girl! Hopefully, that will be me someday (soon!) I agree that it is tough to run. My DH and DS each run about 3 miles per day. Even 11-year-old DD can jog a mile. I am up to 1 3/4 mi. walking (am working back up after a bout of bursitis in my hip), but try to jog a few paces every now and then. Would love to get up to 3 mi jogging, so that I could actually complete a 5K. Right now, though, am taking baby steps. Am now in my 40's and my hip and knee joints definitely don't like this extra weight I am carrying around. Good luck at the audition on Sunday. And, yes, Lala can just throw together things that end up tasting amazing. I still make for my family a yummy salad with apples and goat cheese that she turned me onto a couple of years ago.

Melissa - Congrats! On your weight loss and the fact that you are experiencing cool evenings. Very envious on both counts!

Pam (McHoney) - I love John Cusack. Maybe I can get my DD to go to the movie with me this weekend. What is the movie rated?

Soba and Slaw Salad with Peanut Dressing

6 oz. (dry weight) soba noodles, cooked
6 C. shredded red cabbage
2 C. grated carrot
3/4 C. thinly sliced scallions, divided
1/2 lb. coarsely chopped cooked shrimp

Dressing:

3 T. low sodium soy sauce
3T. rice vinegar
1 T. canola oil
2.5 T. creamy peanut butter
2 t. Thai chile paste with garlic

Combine noodles, cabbage, carrot, 1/2 c. green onions and shrimp in a large bowl. Combine dressing ingredients with a whisk. Toss noodle mixture with dressing to coat. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and 2 T. chopped dry-roasted peanuts. 4 (huge!) servings (2.5 C. salad & 1.5 t. peanuts): 393 Cal., 12.9 g. fat, 24.6 g protein, 47 g. fiber. Haven't been to any meetings in a long while -- not sure how many points this would be.
Closed Thread