South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 07:09 PM   #1  
I will be-SEXY mom of 6!

Default How important would you say goals are?

I'm talking monthly, weekly, yearly??? I don't even know if I am being unrealistic or what to put as my goals this month. I just started SB on the 2nd and I have made no goals yet and I am wondering what I should do as far as goals? I promised my dh that by the end of April 2006 I will have dropped 50 pounds. Am I crazy? I think that is realistic. Especially with SB. I started at 203 pounds and am now 201. I usually loose it fast in the begining.... any insight would be so appriciative! TIA!!
Old 08-04-2005, 07:18 PM   #2  

I think it can be discouraging if you are too set on making a certain loss by a certain date. I started out losing fairly quickly (check my signature) but the loss certainly slows down as you get closer to goal. And that is fine with me. I try not to get as set on losing a particular amount of weight as much as becoming more fit.

Now, if having a goal motivates you and doesn't set you back if you don't lose as fast as you expect then goals can be great!

You are looking at 50 pounds in 9 months which is certainly possible.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:00 PM   #3  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome to the beach, I agree with Barb. For myself I try to set little goals and when I achieve them it make me feel good and feel like I am getting somewhere. You could set mini goals along with your big one. I also have a big goal as well.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:15 AM   #4  

I do much better with short term goals than long term...I can't think about next year or even 6 mos from now...I have to think in terms of weeks to a month!! Sounds like a great goal to go for!!! But I would also try to internalize it and make it a goal you want to meet for your sake!! And than it will also keep the promise to your DH!!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #5  

I agree with Barb too even though I do set goals for myself. I am currently just trying to see the 1 on the scale and then go from there!
Old 08-05-2005, 08:34 AM   #6  

I plan on leaving the date on my long term goal open, then setting mini goals along the way according to what I weigh at the time. I don't think it will upset me too much if I miss a mini goal as long as I know I am headed in the right direction.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:38 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I set mini-goals, rather than long term. I have been overweight for so long that I realize any move downward on the scale is progress. Right now I seem to be stuck just under 200 but it sure was a big deal to finally get into ONEderland after 15 years well above that!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:55 AM   #8  

I think goals are important so you don't drift month by month without being aware of the time passing. Doesn't mean the goal is always achieved, but at least when it is a milestone so when it is achieved you can celebrate and pat yourself on the back.

I take a long term view of this too, as I've been overweight for a long time. I am at peace with letting go of the bikini goal, and resigned to never having '6-pack abs', but determined to achieve health and comfort in my middle-age.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Personally, I think goals need to be more general health and how you feel then a number on the scale. I have a number goal myself, but I also had several others goals-lower my blood pressure, being able to bend over and tie my shoes, walk up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath, fitting into my tight clothes in the back of the closet. Without the small little goals, I don't think I would have gotten as far as I have.

My goals now are more fitness related then weight loss-to be able to run 3 miles without stopping in less then 44 minutes... yes, I'm slow. I'm working on it. Run a 10K next April and maybe something more later next summer...if I can talk my dh into it.

Have fun making your goals personal to you and only you. Not for your husband, just you.

Sarah
Old 08-05-2005, 10:39 AM   #10  
I will be-SEXY mom of 6!

THANKS! I will make me some good short term goals. I think your right...it's so important!
Closed Thread