Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-28-2005, 01:40 PM   #1  

Lightbulb good weight for 5'6??

Hello! im new here. i was just wondering, what is the best weight for 5'6"? i'm not sure how to set my goal.. what do you think the best looking weight is? like weight for people to comment how good u look. and what do u think the healthy weight is? for 5'6".. i want ur opinion thank u! XxX Jenn
luv_ya_all_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #2  

Well, me being 5'6", I always got compliments when I was around 130 lbs. I have weighed as little as 110 lbs and as much as 185 lbs. It really depends on your body type and bone structure though. The ideal weigh range for this height is between 125 and 155 lbs. I find that I look sick if I drop below 130 and look too chunky about 140. Personally, I am average build as far as bone structure and am "pear shaped"- which means I have a fat butt :-D . The best thing I can suggest is to determine what you'd like your measurements to be and shoot for that. Even better than that- Shoot for a healthy weight range and judge your success by how you feel rather than some number on a scale.
HamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #3  

How you look at a given weight will depend on your body composition -- how much fat you have relative to lean mass. Two people can be different sizes even if they are the same weight and height -- the one with more muscle relative to fat will be leaner than the person with less muscle. Another factor is your frame -- some people have a smaller, more delicate bone structure than others, and therefore can still look healthy and fit at a lower weight.

To give you a range to start thinking about, use the BMI calculator on this site: http://www.3fatchicks.com/diets/bmi-calculator.php. These numbers should not be taken as absolute gospel, but they will give you a range to start shooting for. As you lose fat (and, one hopes, gains more muscle through exercise), you can start narrowing down to a more specific goal. A LOT of people wind up happier at lower OR higher weights than their original goal -- it's a good idea to let your body itself guide you as you get closer.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #4  

Yes that's true too ^. But I was answering based on the fact that at 130 and below, I was quite muscular due to sports and not having a car (ie: walking ALOT- as in 5 or more miles every single day).
Old 07-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #5  

Ham we were writing our replies at the same time -- I did not see yours until I had posted mine, so it wasn't a response to you, but a direct response to the original question.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #6  

Oh I didn't think it was, but I did want to clarify my incoherent post. Sometimes, words elude me...;-)
Old 07-28-2005, 02:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I have a goal of 150 (I used to be 5'6" but I think my butt got bigger and I can't stand against the wall right when they take my height so I'm listing as 5'5"). When I start losing weight again if I feel happy and healthy at anything below 200 then that's what I plan on trying to maintain and I say throw out the charts.

I'm not sure where you are starting from but you'll notice that for those of us with a lot to lose think higher numbers would be a GREAT WEIGHT to maintain while those with not as much to lose strive for the lower numbers. I weighed 175 before my senior year and I would love to weigh that today and see pictures of me and think I looked pretty darn good at that weight.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:09 PM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm 5'4", but I set my goal based on the middle of the healthy range by BMI. For 5'6", a BMI of about 22 (healthy is 18.5 to 24.9) is 140lbs. Anyway, it's something to start with, if you are happy heavier or are not happy unless lighter, then you can decide that when you get there!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #9  

hey, i'm new here 2. i'm also 5'6''. isn't that weird? lol. i talked to my doctor and i told her my goal weight was 120, but oddly, she said that 120 was a little too skinny. i was confused when i heard that. it's weird cuz i have friends that r all 105 and 110 and they r my height. i not really sure.....but losing weight is really hard, i just went to a Law and Trial Advacocy program at Bentley, and i lost 10 pounds. which is weird cuz i thought i'd b learning about law. lol. but there, u have my opinion, hope it helped.

Loave,
Bubbles
BubblesSmileBack is offline   Reply With Quote