Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Default Monday Chat ~ 7/18

good morning gang!

It's getting close to noon here. I've just been at work a little while. Had a doctor's appointment check up on my thyroid stuff. I am doing GREAT! and I have a great doc!

where is everybody at this morning?

whassssssssssup?

hugs,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:22 PM   #2  
prepare for the BEST time

we've been patiently waiting for you to start up the thread! congrats on the good news and additional weight loss! you've been working so hard!
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:36 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Afternoon !!

Marble you can start the thread any time you'd like please don't wait for one of us LOL.

Congrats Cathy !!!!

I just wanted to pop in and say hello

HUGS & KISSES
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:56 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi Girls
First day on South Beach so far so good Just Monday here
Over the weekend we went to my Moms on The way DH fought a car fire on Rt 80W near Parsippany we just pulled over and he helped. then we and 2 other cars followed this woman trying to get a cop to puller her over (we thought she was drunk) and it took 40 miles into PA to get it done
eeesh rest of the weeekend was relaxing

Cathy YAHOOOOOO
bbiab
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #5  

Good morning everyone

We have some sun today & blue sky....the last at least 3 weeks the weather hasn't been good....lots of rain, clouds & overcast days....hopefully we will have some summer now.

DH & I were up early....went to Tim Horton's for coffee with friends....not sure what I am doing today yet.

I have lost 22 lbs. now....just love Core....I have learned to be patient with weight loss....the weight took a while to come on....so it will take time to lose it.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #6  
CIN

Hi Gals
April.22 pounds.you go girl.......................I love Core too but since my surgery I have been on the See-FOOD and eat it diet! Ha!

Today I drove for the first time in 5 weeks.I visited one of my WW meetings.............until time for the mtg to start.It was great to see everyone! I went to the grocery afterwards and came home & took a nap!
I may visit another mtg of mine tonight.hubby said he would take me!(if I am not too tired)

It feels good to stay dressed today too.I even completely made the bed!
A sign for myself not to get in it! I can nap on top of it! Ha!

Later taters
Cin
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

Good afternoon everyone,
CIN - glad to hear that you are feeling better and improving everyday, just don't overdo things
Cathy - congrats on the great docs appointment.
KO - sounds like you had a busy weekend, wow.
April - congrats on the 22 pounds, that must feel great. Is your hubby still following your program with you? It makes it easier if everyone in the household is eating the same. I find that a challenge in our house as my hubby and two girls are naturally slender and then there are two of us that should be carefull. Oh well one day I'll get it. Or the kids may grow up and leave home, who knows
And a big hello to everyone else

Had a nice weekend. Finally some sunshine yesterday so I got some of the "lawn" cut, and the girls and I built a fire and had a hot dog roast. Plus burnt some of the paper garbage from when they cleaned out their binders from school. Watched the northern nights last night. Boy were they pretty. I haven't seen pink ones that bright before. To bad there were clouds, but I'm glad I went out in time to see what I did.
Hubby should be home today. He's talking about quitting so I know he needs a few days off at home getting harassed by us.
Want to get some sheets washed and on the line today so I best get motoring here.
Have a great day everyone!
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:22 PM   #8  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone. CIN, congrats on the adventure out. I bet it was great to see your group. I love the See Food diet; it just doesn't love me...

Leenie, I'm glad DD is doing okay. Hopefully the cut will close and stay closed. I take it you can't get her to be quiet... Also, I have a website for my stained glass (www.stainedglassbymarie.com) it you want to take a look. I haven't updated it in a while so the two wolf pieces I've made aren't on there. I did start working on a piece yesterday. It was fun.

SueMarie, that is so great that you're the first in your family to get to graduation. That's quite an accomplishment. Have fun this weekend at your part.

April, you are doing so great. With all the stress you've had in the past couple months, it's amazing how you've stayed on track.

Kierie, sounds like you had quite an adventurous weekend. Glad that it still turned out to be relaxing. I love weekends.

Cathy, great news on the thyroid. I love when the test come back normal. Then the drs. won't put me on anymore medicine.

Last night I researched bipolar and weight gain and meds. It was quite informative. Baiscally they all said exercise was the key to not gaining weight on the meds and to be able to lose, exercise at least 15 minutes a day. There didn't look like there was a lot of hope on finding a med combination that will help me lose weight. C'est la vie. I'm so much happier and better off than I was without meds that I can live with slow or no loss. I just can't gain anymore weight. I'm comfortable where I am (but I'd be so much more pleased with a loss - I can admit that).

Talk to you all later.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:18 PM   #9  

Hi again everyone

K & Cin & MMarie....thanks about the weight loss....I am feeling better now...have gone down 3 pant sizes since April....just started wearing underwear that is 1 size smaller....I must habe stretched out the old ones.....lol

K....DH is eating what I cook now....if he doesn't want it...he has to make his own....he is even eating the whole wheat pasta now.
I notice you are from Northern B.C also.....we couldn't be from the same city....could we?

Cin....I don't know exactly what kind of surgery you had...if I remember right....you had a portion of your colon removed....I am glad you are feeling good.
My Dh had colon cancer 11 years ago....he had surgery & has had a colostomy ever since...he is doing good these days.

MMarie...I have had a lot of stress the last few months....with DH's stroke...DD-in-L has placenta previa & is on bed rest in bed....we are hoping she can keep the baby long enough until the baby gets bigger....before giving birth....also all this cloudy...rainy weather we have had for at least 3 weeks has affected my mood on & off.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:19 PM   #10  

MMarie - I will check out your stained glass as soon as I get some time - I'm rushing to fix supper.

But just wanted to explain - for the record - docs have been saying my blood work was "normal" for the past 20 years - that is why I could not get proper treatment for my low thyroid problems. They were simply running the TSH which is very unreliable. There are more accurate tests that can be run - the Free T3 and Free T4 and antibodies tests - a lot of people find their thyroid problem when all the right tests are done, but unfortunately a lot of docs don't run all these tests unless they are asked specifically to do so.

So we didn't check my blood work today - my doc is treating my low thyroid symptoms - last time he did blood work was a year ago - a lot of times blood work looks good or ok and that doesn't really mean someone is taking enough thyroid meds -actually when docs treat only by the blood work, most people do not get proper treatment for their thyroid - there is just no way to measure the amount of thyroid hormone in your tissues or how your tissues absorb it and that is what matters - so anytime someone can find a doc that will treat their low thyroid symptoms - well people are gonna feel better when that happens.

I was on 2 grains of Armour a year ago at my last appt, and since then I have increased to 4 grains - so my dosage doubled - but I don't mind at all - I feel better than I have in 20 years and I am finally losing weight. I will take Armour til the day I die.

Also wanted to mention that I know you take other meds along with your thyroid meds (I mean I think that's what I remember anyway) but synthroid and/or levoyxl (if that is the thyroid med you are taking) can cause weight gain and high blood pressure. I realize you have other meds affecting your weight also - but just wanted to mention it.

ok I'll get off my now - just wanted to explain why I was feeling so good that is.... bec I have a great doc that is willing to treat my symptoms and realizes that I am not a lab number!

oh hey mmarie - sometimes when you are doing a search - do one on bipolar + thyroid and see what all comes up! it is very interesting stuff!

hugs,
cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 07-18-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:21 PM   #11  

ok - now I'll post to everyone

Marbles - thanks! and I figured everybody was waiting on me this morning - sorry I was late ;-)

Leenie - how is dd? you were at work today? still busy there huh?

Kierie - hope your first day on SBD went well. what did you eat today? how very nice of your dh to stop and help like that! we all hope someone like that is around when we need help!

Hey April - congrats on the 22 lb loss! that is awesome! you must really be liking Core! hope your dh is getting around and feeling better!

Wow Cin - I'm sure you did need a nap after all of that! and wow - you stayed dressed all day! I take it your clothes don't bother the stitches that are healing? did you go back to the meeting tonight or were you too tired? sounds like you had a full day! hugs!

Hey buddly - what ages are your girls? I have 2 boys and they are now 21 and 17. Do kids ever move out? I've heard that rumor too! your hot dog roast sounds fun!

wonder where the rest of our gang is today?

hugs,
cathy
Old 07-18-2005, 09:25 PM   #12  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hi everyone!

I went to water aerobics today. I looked at my diet program that I use to keep track of my calories…. It told me that 20 minutes of water aerobics can burn 213 calories. I did 40 mintues for water aerobics today. That seems like so much burnt off for such a little amount of exercise. Or at least it seemed like little amount… so instead of 40 minutes I put in 30 minutes just to kinda keep a buffer. I dunno I guess I’m strange like that.

It was a really HOT day today. We hit 103. Thank goodness it didn’t get as high as they had predicted… 107+ Unless I missed that while in class but my car’s temperature center told me it was 103 outside. It’s pretty accurate…. Icky feeling tho, humid and hot.

I have a quiz tudy for… I shall catch everyone later…

Sue…
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:43 PM   #13  

HI everyone

I am here........busy day and now laying down for a nap as I am starting a long stretch of nights................. say a prayer for me...........I can't tell you exactly what it is for but just understand it means I will never have to work another night in my life.

I'll be in touch!

Liz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 PM   #14  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Liz, my prayers are with you. That would be so awesome if you didn't have to work anymore nights. My sister is a nurse and fluctuating between days and evening shifts is hard on her.

Cathy, I'm on synthroid and other bipolar meds. My dr. is pretty good about looking past the numbers too. I test in the low normal range but he's treating me with synthroid because my psychiatrist wants it treated. It's sort of nice to know that they talk to each other. I'm really happy that you have your dr - that's pretty rare to have one that will look beyond the numbers.

Buddly, I am so jealous. I love northern lights. I haven't seen any since we moved away from Minnesoty 5 years ago. Aren't they the most moving spectacles? Talk about a light show - Vegas has nothing on a sky filled with northern lights. You are very lucky.

SueMarie - way to go on the exercise. Water aerobics is a blast. I think the reason it doesn't seem like you're using as much calories is because the water keeps you cooled and refreshed. Same with swimming. I never feel like I've exercised very hard in the pool. Have you ever tried the water aerobics with the foam weights? The provide a lot of resistance and I can feel them working the muscles.

April, you do have a lot of stress but you're being good to yourself. That is just so cool. Keep up the great work.

See you all tomorrow.

Last edited by Marie; 07-18-2005 at 10:54 PM.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:52 PM   #15  

hey liz - I will be praying for you! how awesome to think you might not have to work nights anymore! woooooooooohoooooooooooo

SueMarie - It was really hot over here today too. Like a steam oven really. I hope you finish up those tests soon. And good for you getting in the water aerobics! go girl!

MMarie - I just sent you a pm with some info. I'm really glad to hear that your doc looks past the numbers too! what is your weather like? hot there too?

nitey nite gang