Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs down scared to drink water!

I know you are going to think that this is pretty silly, but here it goes! I am afraid to drink water! You see, I am a scale watcher. If there are 16 ounces in a pound and I have to drink........................ well- alot, won't that add several pounds to my weight? Or does it really encourage weight loss? I told you it was silly........ I don't have any problem drinking the amount of water that I am supposed to, but I just don't like seeing the added weight on the scale.
I work three 12 hour shift (3rd shift) and tonight is the beginning of my stretch............I am going to drink the water, but could someone please tell me what I want to hear?!LOL

Jennifer
Chamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:10 PM   #2  
gotta lose it!

I think initially you will gain because your body isn't use to the amount of water, but after about a month, this stop. I would pay more attention to health & not water weight, you want to lose your fat, not water!!! Drink up!
soon2Bfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #3  

Gladly!! The water helps flush out fat and actually helps keep you from retaining water.. Also.. feeling hungry?? Drink a glass of water first.. sometimes our bodies think we are hungry when we are really just thirsty.. If you drink that water and your still hungry the water still took up some space in your stomuch so you won't eat as much.. I know there is a ton more I'm forgetting to tell you.. but it's a start!
dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #4  
Alis Volat Propriis

Oh, Jennifer, trust us on this. Drinking the right amount of water is good for you all around. In addition to the weight-loss benefits, its makes your skin look fabulous and you just feel lighter and cleansed. At least, I do. And believe me, once you start drinking it, you'll pee a lot more. That will remove not only the water, but built up toxins. Plus you'll get plenty of exercise running to the bathroom! I doubt you'll see water weight gain unless you drink a ton and then step on the scale immediately. Like if you eat three pounds of food before you go to bed, then get weighed first thing in the morning, you might see a three pound gain. But if you drink water at night, you'll either be up at night peeing, or first thing in the morning. Water moves through you pretty fast. Good luck!
Quite-a-Handful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:24 PM   #5  
Haley

I was worried about this too, but I said oh well it's worth it, and actually notice MORE of a loss when I drink at least 8 cups of water a day.
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #6  
prepare for the BEST time

Water is the key to fat metabolism....YOUR KIDNEYS CANNOT FUNCTION PROPERLY WITHOUT ENOUGH WATER!!!! one of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But if the liver has to do some of the kidneys work, it can't operate at full throttle. as a result, it metabolises fat; more fat remains stored and weight loss stops.

water helps rid the body of waste, during weight loss, there is a whole lot more waste to get rid of....

drink, drink, drink......(I like water with lemon or a shot of cranberry juice)
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #7  
LOSING TO LIVE LONGER!

Everyone here is right. DRINK the water. It flushes your system and helps get rid of the excess fluids (waste) you don't need. I drink 144oz a day and I have had no prob losing. DRINK UP! I hated water too before I started my new way of eating. Now I love it.

Kim
KIMMIFIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:21 AM   #8  

I agree with what folks have already said... I'd just add, pee before you weigh in Unless you are weighing in on a full bladder it shouldn't make a difference. Even then, there's only so much water your bladder can hold.
The only way it will make you gain is if you are retaining water, in which case extra water helps flush you out so you don't retain as much.

Finally, even if you do see a small gain when you hop on the scale, it's not just about numbers. Focus on the fact that you are making healthier life choices and you'll see it's well worth it!

It is recommended that you drink an extra 8 oz of water per every 20 lbs you are overweight (that's on top of the 8-10 servings per day). So guzzle on!

Personally, I drink obscene amounts of water most days (over 110 ounces) and I think I should wear a pedometer just to track my daily trips to the potty!
BellaLumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:11 AM   #9  

Dear Jennifer,

I have talked to a nutrisonist last week about water, and she sad, that an average person sould drink 8-10 serving of water in an average day. It means if you overwaight then you heve to drink more, and if its hot out there you have to drink even more.
I think the only time you can retain water if you eat salty food. If you gained some weight it might be because of that, or it maybe because you didn't drink enough water.
Think about it Jennifer!
Good Luck!
Julianna

Julianna150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #10  
I CAN do this!

I agree with all that has been said, but want to add something!

Tomorrow is the start of my 3rd week on my new "lifestyle". 2 weeks ago I drank nothing but soda, no water intake what-so-ever, and averaged 3500 calories a day. Sunday July 3, I gave up soda and anything other than water (and the occasional glass of 100% juice) and went to eating 1500-2000 calories a day) I drink water CONSTANTLY since giving up soda and last week I lost 3 pounds, I'm not sure about this week but I'm really, really hoping I did similar!

Water has made me feel much better! I already feel like my system is being cleansed! And I feel hungry less often (the whole, you're really thursty when you're hungry is true!)
LegallyBrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 02:19 PM   #11  
No more tears!

i try to drink atleast 5 cups of water a day. i was like most ppl here before my lifestyle change i never drunk water, only drinks and juices. Now i drink nothing but water or maybe kool-aid or tea with sweeten low. Water made me lose 18 lbs in the last month and a half and i lost 8 inches off of my waist line. Listen to them jennifer, drink all the water you want hun.
BBWonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #12  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Drinking 64+ oz of water will NOT make you gain 64+ oz on the scale! You pee out the water so quickly that it should not affect your scale at all. In fact, by drinking enough water regularly, youwill LOSE more weight because your body will stop retaining water. If you don't drink enough wate,r your body hods onto the water you do drink for dear life, for it doesn't know whenit might get more! Drinking more water will help you to flush out the excess water you've been storing, for your body knows more water will be coming in as needed. Thisnk about it--you eat multiple pounds worth of food every day, but you don't gain it all back on the scale because your body uses what you eat. Same with water--you will use what you need and flush out what you don't. Drink up, chickie--it will absolutely not cause you to gain weight! After all, it all basically boils down to calories in vs. calories out, and water has no calories, so how could it make you gain weight?!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 08:48 PM   #13  

it will not make you gain weight. water is good for you. you pee most of it out. sue
samanthajosmom_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:18 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Agreement with all said here! Drinking too little water will actually work the opposite way ... it'll make you retain water as the body tries to hold on to every drop. You don't have to go totally overboard (contrary to popular belief, it IS possible to drink too much water, which can even result in death, but that's extremely rare and only takes places under certain circumstances). If you are concerned about a weigh-in, you could just hold off a little on that particular morning, but most of the time, remember that there's a huge connection between weight loss and water consumption ...
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

WTF??!! Drink water!! Forget the scale!
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote