View Poll Results: How did you meet your spouse?
Through family/friends 8 14.29%
In a bar 3 5.36%
In school 9 16.07%
At work 5 8.93%
Online 20 35.71%
At church 3 5.36%
Random ie. in a line up / at a park 1 1.79%
Other 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default How did you meet your spouse?

Just wondering how we all met our spouses. On another thread "where are you from" I noticed a lot of people moving countries or states to be with their spouse. Jim and I met online in late 1997 - which is pretty much back in the stone age for the internet!!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

I met Kyle online in 1999. Love at first chat! I have had several friends date/marry men from online sources. It is so mainstream now and a great tool to meet others of similar interests you may never encounter in your normal daily routine.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #3  
In over my head

My husband and I met through a computer game we both played online. We never intended for anything more than friendship but, well, we're soulmates. He proposed after a few visits and I moved here from the States to be with him after we married.
miranoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #4  

Online in 1999 and married the same year.. i was 17..(i am 23 now)
we talk about how we met a LOT of things were going on with me around that age and well.. i KNOW someone had a hand in the situation we just know it!.. to many things happened.. so i came to england at 17..when i tell people they said i am brave for coming over but ya know what it felt right..and i wasnt scared... many people thought my mom was crazy for letting me go and SHE could had stopped me but she told me in her hearts of hearts something told her to let me go..all the while everyone was praying against us..goes to show when things are ment to be there ment to be...end of..
some1shy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #5  
Looking for Thin

Talking Ironic

I found this poll kind of ironic. I first saw my husband at McDonald's. I met him later at a friend's house though. The reason I find this thread ironic is because my wedding anniversary is tomorrow (July 4th). I've been married for ten years. .
squiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #6  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I met my husband at 16 at the alternate school we both attended.
We were so young...he was 18

Sweet?...yes...easy?...no
Quite the challenge..but I still believe...
We've made it this far..
Our 9th anniversary will be on Aug. 25th
Will have been together 11 years in Oct.

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:19 PM   #7  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Talking

Lorraine answered my personal ad a little over 7 years ago. I'd placed it in a gay/les newspaper where it appeared in print and also could be accessed by phone/voice. She responded to the latter because she liked how I sounded and what I said. We talked on the phone a number of times before meeting, I invited her over to my home for a home-cooked, romantic meal. She arrived with a bouquet and a bottle of VERY good quality Chardonnay....and the rest, as they say, is history! Destiny? Or was it the salmon w/dill?

Last edited by lessofsarahtolove; 07-03-2005 at 05:10 PM.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #8  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

My husband was the boyfriend of my roommate at college. A few months after they broke up we started seeing each other. We have been married for 28 years now.

It is neat how many have met through the internet. Two of my kids haven't found that "special someone" yet, and we have suggested the internet, but they think we are nutty.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #9  
maintainer wannabe

My bestfriend moved away. She introduced me to her new neighbor saying he's be a good bf for me. Turns out we knew each other from school but not well. We were in different grades and didn't hang out in the same crowds. We became good friends but then I moved away. We bumped into each other 3 years later and got married 8 months after that. This Dec will be our 20th anniversary.

My teens first boyfriends and girlfriends have been online ones. My closest friends are online ones. Most I have met IRL.

Catherine mom to 11
mabear's homepage
Restarted Jan 17 '05 at 243.
mabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #10  

I was dating his best friend. He would come over to visit his friend and we would spend hours talking while his friend went to bed. I ended up breaking up with his friend and started dating someone else (old boyfriend). That did'nt work out and I asked dh out on a date and we have been together ever since. 17 years altogether.
momX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #11  

Online at 17yrs old (now 21) with two beautiful children
mom2nicolenmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:28 AM   #12  
Crazy Canuck

I see you're only allowed one vote ... what if you've been married more than once?

I met my ex-husband when I was a mere slip of a girl; just 16 and working part-time after school in the shoe section of a department store. He was a 21 year old college student from out of town working at the same store (in sporting goods). It was so exciting to be dating a cute older "man" and very cool to be picked up after school and driven away on the back of his motorcycle. We were engaged by my high school graduation (my parents did everything short of shipping me overseas to prevent it) and married during my second year of college. Two years after the wedding, my daughter was born (the one good thing to come out of it all). I've put the rest of the ten year marriage pretty much out of my mind and try not to be bitter about wasting my youth on him.

I was introduced to G by friends who thought we had the same sense of humour (yes, he's also rather warped). I was only interested in friendship, having just ended a relationship with a man who had become increasingly dictatorial (I used to call him "Saddam" under my breath) and was enjoying my freedom. Having successfully raised my daughter, I was responsible only for myself and rather horrified to be told G had joint custody of 3 small children (one being a special needs child). Also, quite frankly, I wasn't interested in becoming emotionally involved because he was in the midst of a fight for his life. Yes, it was all too much drama for this mama and I didn't expect anything much to come of the meeting. It wasn't love at first sight...I'd say it was at least 10 minutes before I decided I'd be spending the rest of my life with him, at which point I insisted he not die and deny me that pleasure! He acquiesced to my demands and we're living happily ever after. As a bonus, the 3 girls turned out to be charming creatures and we all get along famously!

Now, Sandiiiii?? I'm daring you to come and tell the circumstances of how you seduced your husband!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:20 AM   #13  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Smile

I for one am interested to know how Gardenwife and Howie met. Come on you 2-inquiring minds want to know.

Charles and I met while I was dating an aquaintance of his. My very first memory of him is this skinny guy with shoulder length reddish hair flashing his freshly pierced nipple at me while he said, "Look what I did last nite!" I'd never met this guy before and now he's showing me his nipple!
A few months later, Ken (my bf at the time), Charles and myself drove to Madison for some Magic the Gathering/role playing related shindig. Afterwards, we stopped to get something to eat. Found out that Charles is a HUGE Dr. Who fan, I also love Dr. Who, but he is a far bigger fan than I am, anyway. We proceeded to annoy Ken by talking about Dr. Who most of the evening while ignoring him-LOL.
Fast forward 5 months: Ken breaks up with me to be with his old girlfriend and I move out of his apartment. Charles and his friend Paul start hanging out with my room mate and me alot. One night in November, Charles and I hang out and listen to The Cure while talking all night for like 8 hours straight! He was at my place almost every night after that, 10 months later we were offically living together in an apartment of our own. Now we have 3 kids and next November will be 9 years we've been happily living in sin.
The goofy thing is how I would grin ear to ear everytime he would show up at the apartment; still grin like that whenever he's around.
P.S. He's still got that nipple pierced
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:08 AM   #14  
Laura

My husband and I also met online through a personal on Yahoo. I didn't intend to respond to any of them - I was just looking, but I saw his and it was so sincere and he just wanted a pen pal! (He lived in the Bahamas and I lived in Seattle - but he was from here). We emailed back and forth everyday several times a day and started talking on the phone after about a month...he moved to San Fran (Coast Guard) 6 months after we first met online. He had a month's leave and we spent as much of that month together here in Washington as we could. Then we had a long distance relationship for several months. We married exactly one year to the day of our first email! We've been married 6 1/2 years now and have two incredible children.
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #15  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

my husband and I were the original high school sweethearts. chemistry class if you can imagine. The morning class was too full so they asked for some people to move to the afternoon class and as I had a free class then I moved and when I came to the class I sat at the same desk as my now husband. We started flirting and playing footsie and he asked me out about a month later. We've been together ever since.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote