Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 11:25 AM   #1  

Question My oh my am I having a hard time ..!

Hello there ,
I am as new as can be in this forum and I love it love it...
Like many of you guys ,I am trying to lose weight (not much ,15 lbs would be nice ).I have lost and gained those darn 15lbs a good 20 times I would guess and I am getting soooo tired of it .
I believe I am well educated as far as good nutrition and exercise go but somehow, I always end up with a candy bar (or 2 or 5...) in my mouth.
I understand that 15 lbs is not that much but I am getting very tired of having to struggle w/ them .
The best way to discribe me would be compulsive eater with a dash of bulimic ...
I also have a lot of stretch marks due to a very rapid growth(even though I am only 5'3) and sometimes I think that no matter how much I lose and how good I look in clothes , as soon as I take them off,... I hate myself .
I suppose I am writing here today because I need someone to tell me they are in the same situation and a few pieces of advice would be nice as well.
Thanks for your time
Old 06-04-2001, 11:32 AM   #2  
Parrothead

Default Hi there!

Welcome to the forum!
Don't get discouraged! Are you on WW now? If not how are you trying to lose the weight? 15 pounds is a significant amount to lose, so it won't come off overnight (although I wish it would) I have found that patience and control are my keys to losing weight. WW has been great at helping me take control of portion sizes, water, and exercise. Once you find the root of why you want to lose weight, it is much easier to become committed to changing your life. Weight Watchers isn't only about losing weight, but about finding happiness in other things besides eating. The bottom line is that you CAN do it and we are here to support you. If you have any questions feel free to ask! Join us over on the daily thread if you'd like!

Good Luck!
Kay
Old 06-04-2001, 11:33 AM   #3  
Shopper Extraordinaire

I definitely reccomend this message board. You are not alone! We all struggle with weight, whether it be 15, 50 or 100 pds the struggle is going to be similar. Come to the daily thread and you will hear plenty of stories regarding weight loss issues. I have to ask though. Are you currently bulimic? If you struggle withthis you should see a counselor. I find that therapy regarding body image and good health is crucial before you just decide to lose the weight b/c like you said happens with you, it will continue to come back if the underlying problem isn't taken care of ! Well hope this isn't too personal but I thought Iwould offer some options
Becky
Old 06-04-2001, 12:17 PM   #4  

Thanks you guys..(that was faaast...)
I really appreciate your support .To answer one of your questions, no I am not a Bulimic anymore(thank god) ..however I cannot seem to be able to control myself sometimes.I also noticed that I tend to be very restrictive in my eating why I decide to eat well...too restrictive .That's probably the main reason why I end up binging !I need a new mind set ,a new attitude toward how I regard myself and we all know that it is harder choosing between a piece of cheesecake and a chocolat eclaire!
Anyway ,I would love to keep writing and getting your encouragement as well as giving it ..hihihi
I had a very very bad week end but am determined to eat well and exercise a little starting now...no starting now..now!
Just as an exemple ,It is now 11:30 and I have not had breakfast yet ..I know I should but ...don't want to pack up the calories if I don't have to ...
do you guys exercise ...how much ?
Old 06-04-2001, 12:25 PM   #5  
Scotland's finest export

Angry hi bea

hi there,
thought i'd try and answer some of your questions if i can! firstly, don't worry too much about stretch marks. everyone has them! make sure you moisturise like a demon and that should help a bit. best thing to do is to forget about them. usually you are the only one that notices them. if you have a positive mental image of your body everyone else does too. mind over matter. however, the secret to looking good naked is EXERCISE! you've got to tone up to look good, esp after weight loss. and of course, it will help you (a) lose weight and (b) be able to eat more! at the moment i'm training for a 5k race so i'm trying to do 30 mins running 2/3 times a week as well as 2 aerobics classes (legs, bums and tums is my favourite). don't feel you have to do a lot of exercise, start off slow and build up gradually. but it is definitely the key to success.
and you should ALWAYS have breakfast! stops the hunger pangs later on and it starts up your metabolism for the day meaning you burn off the food more effectively. personally i find that if i eat a decent sized breakfast and lunch i'm not tempted to snack.
anyhow. that's enough from me. welcome to the board!
kirsty
Old 06-05-2001, 03:47 AM   #6  
flibbertobbergenie!

Welcome, Bea! I second everything everyone has said so far, ESPECIALLY about eating breakfast - it really is true, if you give your body breakfast it stokes up your metabolism. If you don't eat breakfast, your body panics and thinks it isn't going to be fed, so it slows down the metabolism to hang onto what it has. In WW point terms, I usually spend about 5pts (out of 24) on breakfast - ie about 20% of my total for the day. And I hear you about restrictive eating - I really had to learn my way out of that one. One thing I tried was having 2/3 different coloured fruits/veggies with every meal. It was fun finding them, and got me into the habit of eating them too ...

Why don't you come and join us on the daily thread? (It's the one with the day of the week in the title and, hopefully , lots of replies...)

Lolly
xxx
Closed Thread