Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:41 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default National news discussion

There are times I want to mention these things and just don't know where to do it, so I thought I'd start a thread. It's not meant to incite a riot or anything! Just our opinions about the things going on.

The Natalie Holloway case. Shame, shame. What a pretty girl and I just don't have a good feeling. I keep thinking about my own blonde girlies and it scares me to think of all the dangers out there.

Those poor little boys in New Jersey. And to think they were in the trunk of that car all along, I guess? How on earth does a person go on after the death of a child?

Speaking of that, there was a "baby left in a hot car" here yesterday. A man was supposed to drop his 6-month-old daughter off at daycare, but forgot she was in the car. Instead he drove to work and left her in the back. Four hours later, I guess he remembered and when he went to the car, she was unconscious. Pronounced dead at a local hospital.

On a somewhat lighter note (but not really funny if you were a party to the story), the owner of a drycleaning business in a town north of Houston was found to be videotaping his employees in the bathroom. Ewwwww!! What a perv!!

Then the really wacky stuff: a woman in San Francisco was fired for refusing to wear makeup to work! Good thing that wasn't me!!
Old 06-25-2005, 09:55 AM   #2  
Southside White Sox Fan

Kathy, I'm ashamed to say that I try not to follow stories like these because I have horrible nightmares when children are harmed. I don't know how you Moms are brave enough to ever let your kids out of your sight.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:01 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

It's the hardest thing about being a parent. On one hand, you want them to grow up and leave and explore the world ... on the other hand, at age 18 or 20 or even older, they are so naive and think they're invincible. Nothing you say can warn them about all the dangers that are out there. Sometimes I lie awake at night wondering how I'll ever make it until I get these girls married and settled.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I can hardly read or watch these stories as well...in fact a few years ago I decided to stop watching the news as it was so horrific and frightening most of the time. I figure if something major happens I will find out about it - and my theory has proven to be correct.

I can not even imagine how these parents would feel and how they go on living! I have also found that since the death of my mother (my father predeceased her by 4 years) I am ultra sensitive about sad stories!

I always try to point out some of the unfortunate "things" that happen to kids to my own children. Like when my ds (the 19 yr old) goes out for the evening I still ask where/with whom/Timelines etc....he gives the info and usually adds "don't worry mom nothing will happen" (to confirm kathy's info that they do feel they are immortal or invincible).

So I ask ds, esp when something bad happens to someone: so do you think they thought something would happen to them today? Do you think anyone ever leaves the house thinking something bad is going to happen? And he agreed that no, obviously not, so his response to me (nothing bad will happen) is not good enuf! Be sharp, be smart and don't make foolish decisions - no one ever thinks something bad will happen to them - but it seems bad things happen!

okay - that's it for me

Frouf
Old 06-27-2005, 04:04 PM   #5  
Athlete in Training

As a childless woman trying everything I can think of to become a mother, stories of child abuse are particularly difficult. With so many people out there wanting a child, you would hope that those people who have them and don't want them or find it too difficult to care for their needs would have the decency to give them up.

Shaken babies, babies left to die in trash cans, babies left dying in hot cars -- yet there are hundreds of childless couples who'd give anything to become parents.
Closed Thread