Old 06-10-2005, 12:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

Default healthy eating for an eternal snacker

I am a snacker through and through. Anyone else? I have been contemplating posting my daily food diaries here for accountability but I feel embarassed because the only real "meal" I eat is dinner. I started thinking about this today while logging my "lunch" (yogurt with cinnamon) into fitday and realized I can't remember a time when I'd actually sit down and eat a MEAL three times a day. Even in high school, I'd have soda for breakfast (I know, I know), a bagel as a mid-morning snack, another snack during lunch break, another after school, and dinner. I'm not a meal person. I was going to blame that on my kids (one toddler, one preschooler) but this was going on when I was pregnant, when we were newlyweds, when we were engaged, and way before that too. I think that's part of the reason I got so heavy. Mindless eating, eternal snacking on fattening foods.

I'm trying to use that to my advantage though. I did our grocery shopping for the week today and stocked up on fruits and veggies, fat free yogurt, low-fat crackers, etc. Things I know I'll snack on, that are good for me, instead of chocolate or sweets.

Am I bizarre or is this more common than it seems, to eat only one real "meal" a day or none at all?
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:22 AM   #2  
Battling the Inches

S/C/G: 185/162/142

Height: 5'7

im kinda stuck in that rut...for other reasons though... Its hard for me to cook a meal or have one if i have no food >_< (Hopefully that will all change soon). But ,like you said, I try to snack on healthy things. Yogurt....its....so nice at times I also like oatmeal as a snack. well, maybe i like snacks that are almost meals :P

Sounds like you have the problemy mother has. She used to be a real estate broker and never had time for a decent meal. She'd just snack all day and then claim she only eats one time a day (And wondering wwhy shes gaining instead of loosing).

I'd say, log your food jurnal into something like fitday...see if your getting your proper nutrients... maybe take a multivitamin.
LunaValkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #3  

hello...I am exactly like you, i mean i feel like I eat all the time....i am curious actually to see what exactly you are eating (because i feel the same way with posting my food diary...) i think it fine to eat this way, in fact a new sort of fad idea about nutrition is to eat about every 3 hours (to keep blood sugar stabalized and to keep metabolism pumping...i will look around for a better description for you if you like...)

just to make you feel better here is my food diary for yesterday (i am also a control freak,once manifesting as anorexia...now more healthy turned to keeping meticulous food entries and eating at the same time every day...healthier? i have no idea)

7:30-oatmeal, soy milk, protien powder

10:00 1/2 yogurt

12:30 raw veg and hummus

2:00 raw spinach with 1/2 can of tuna and vinagar

4:00 apple with slice of laughing cow cheese

6:00 slice of tofu with spinach, mushrooms, and broc. and olive oil

7:30 kiwi with 1/2 yogurt

thats a pretty typical day..not really any meal, i just kind of eat allllll day
yume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

Thanks Luna I really don't even have the time to sit down for a meal most days anyway, but even if I did I have to admit that it doesn't really appeal to me all that much. I do use fitday and take a multivitamin every day already, and it has helped a lot to log every little bit during the day. I was eating so much food! Not any more though, I'm so happy to see the scale moving down.

Yume:

Well, here's what I've had so far today:

6 oz fat free yogurt with 1/2 tsp cinnamon around 9

2 carrots and a cup of skim milk around 11.

1 cup of grapes, an ounce of cheddar cheese, and a serving of whole-grain crackers around 1:30

I went to the gym at 3 and got home at 4:30. Now I'm about to go and have a piece of toast with peanut butter and some applesauce. I'll have dinner (grilled salmon) around 8, most likely, and probably some tea or juice before bed.
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I see nothing wrong in eating 5-6 mini meals/day, it's actually recommended, especially if you eat healthy mini meals. Eating often keeps my metabolism running evenly and I never have any sugar lows or highs. Today I had an atrocious eating day but my day is usually like this:

M1 - oatmeal with eggwhite omelette
M2 - 1/3c cottage cheese with strawberries and Splenda
M3 - 4 oz tuna or chicken with either salad or veggies sometimes a slice of bread
M4 - protein powder made with soy milk and strawberries
M5 - 4 oz steak, salmon, shrimp or whatever protein with a salad or veggies sometimes some rice...
M6 - If I'm hungry I may have oatmeal, I could live on oatmeal I love it...

This day of food will average about 1500 to 1700 cals when I put it on Fitday.com ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote