Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #1  

Default WW and a disability?

My mother wants to join me on my diet {I'm doing WW}, however she is wheelchair bound and has very little use, if any, of her limbs due to diabetic damage.

Any ideas or suggestions for helping her to lose the weight? Is WW effective without exercising?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #2  

My diabetic Dad and I were comparing notes yesterday, and the diet his doctor has given him is strikingly similar to the WW Core program. She should check with her doctor, but I would guess he or she would approve. It's a pretty healthy way of eating, if you actually follow the plans as they were meant to be followed.

Exercise is strongly encouraged, of course, but if you can't, you can't.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Anyone can lose weight without exercise. Losing weight is a matter of 'calories in' vs 'calories out.' I lost most of my weight without exercise with no problem.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #4  
MRSKMS

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'4"

I think WW for anyone is a great plan to follow. As with anyone with any health problems it is good to check with a doctor but I amoagine most would be overjoyed to find their patient trying to follow a healthy way of eating.

Weight loss without exercise can be a little slower but it still happens. My daughter is in a wheelchair and doesn;t get alot of exercise for the most part but this time of year she starts to wheel around more outside so has managed to lose weight every summer
she is not a big eater but finds she puts a little bit of weight during the winter months.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #5  
Round & Soft

I agree that WW is a great plan. I have Osteoarthritis, in my knees and find it very hard to do alot of walking, bending or anything that uses the legs and knees. This is however one of the reason I joned WW, I couldn't see myself in a wheelchair within the next 5 years. I see WW as my way to a new and healthier life, I'm sure that your mom would do great at it even without exercising. Good luck to your mom.
Closed Thread