South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #1  
Unzipping my new self!

Height: 5' 5"

Default Oh goodness ~ going on vacation and scared silly

I became a beacher on May 26th ~ our vacation is scheduled for June 7-10 and we are going to the beach...sun, sand, mexican food, seafood, junk food city. HELP....I will be finishing up phase 1 by then...but am scared silly that I will "lose" it and all of my hard efforts the past 2 weeks will be ruined.
Oh and I forgot to mention the Continential Breakfast we will be having at the hotel.........OMG....they make the most awesome cinnamon rolls.............oh gosh darn!

Any advice??

We have had this vacation planned for months ~ we are going with another family....so it's not like I can say "postpone" and that wouldn't be fair to my hubby and son.

Again...any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Country, it's your call, hon. Personally, after the hard work of P1, I wouldn't want to blow it. I'd use the internet to figure out what's on the menus of restaurants and find some things you can eat. Ask the people you are with to go to places where there is food for you. Avoid the continental breakfast...instead, go to the gym, or lounge on the sand with a decaf skinny latte with SF syrup. Bring food with you and request a fridge in your room, or go shopping when you're there if you know you can find SBD safe food. Bring food for your breakfast or locate a place there that has food you can have. Make this vacation about the location, the friends, and the experience rather than about the food. Remove yourself from temptation when you can, ask your friends and family to support you by not eating stuff in front of you when they can avoid it, and not sabotaging your weight loss efforts by saying things like "oh, one little bite won't hurt (yes it will!)". You can get through and have a great time without the food that will only make you sad.

If you do decide to just eat whatever, know that you'll need to do P1 for a week to get back off it. I'm not sure what it will do to your body to do P1 so close together with a week of bingeing in between. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #3  
Unzipping my new self!

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks Laurie ~

You have given me some GREAT advice and really something to consider and think about.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #4  

I have the same fears. We are going the first week of July.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I know for me that eating and resterauants are part of the "vacation" expereince. Splurging on different foods and such. So vacations are tricky for me.

I've had to reprogram myself into thinking that food is just fuel and I need to be eating the highest quality fuel for my body to be at its best. I know, sounds corny, but it has helped some.

When we go on vacation now, for the plane, I pack a healthy lunch with a ww turkey/ham/ cheese wrap and lots of veggie sticks with some healthy dipping stuff like hummus. My bag always has snacks so I won't get too hungry in between and the shopping idea mentioned earlier is wonderful. It saves so much money and you actually feel better too.

I try to concentrate on the other things about the vacation-sites, sun, pool.

Good luck
Sarah
Old 06-02-2005, 01:53 PM   #6  

There's always ways to stick to the diet. Just remember to restrict your simple carbs and sugars. You can have mexican, just avoid too many tortillas, chips, and rice. Stick to meats and load up on veggies when you can. If the buns are truly THAT SPECIAL Have half of one. Still get in your 'treats', but remind yourself of the hard work you've done over the last two weeks. If you play your cards right, you may even break even on weight. Drink plenty 'o water too.

A key technique that I used while on the road was always mixing "bad" foods (bad to SBD) with something that will slow digestion and fill me up, so I wouldn't go nuts. Veggies, cheeses and nuts will help you there.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #7  

Hi all--that was really good advice thank you for it. The vacation advice I read on the SBD website was that it would be unlikely to stick to a diet; they advised to drink Metamucil & go on Phase 1 upon return. I would exercise daily if I followed this advice, just to minimize weight gain.
Closed Thread