South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 05:41 AM   #1  

Question To cheat or not to cheat...that is the question

Hi there, I have a question regarding South Beach Diet, IN THE REAL WORLD. Is it cheating if I have one bite of a cookie, just to satisfy my cravings & walk away? The last time I was on SBD I did really well until I his Phase 2, then all of a sudden I started having cravings again LIKE CRAZY!
Since I plan on going to Phase 2 once I have hit my short term goal, I am thinking that instead of incorporating things slowly into my diet, how would it impact me if I only had one bite of whatever it is that I am craving at the time & walk away. I know I have the self control to do it, but my issue is, do you think it would be sabotage, or should I just trust that this time I can stick to it?

Short term goal:Lose 25 lbs by August 16,2005
Long term goal:Lose 100 lbs by May 16, 2006
Old 05-31-2005, 05:49 AM   #2  
Cat Lover

Tough question...for me I'd rather say: "That is something I don't eat". Given the circumstance I know that one bite will become more than one. Depends on the item and the circumstance. If it's cake or cookies I just don't bother. We had chips yesterday and I ate about 6. I was with my health conscience cousin so it was easy to be good. However, if I was with people eating alot I might go over board if I started.

For me this is about new habits. I am trying to change the things I eat and also the way I approch food, I mean do I need someone's birthday cake? It actually doesn't taste good (aren't standard b-day cakes a bore?). I suppose if you offered me the most exquisite pastry I might say yes.

It's all in the circumstance I guess!

SANDI
Old 05-31-2005, 07:24 AM   #3  

Hi there,
I had this dilema yesterday...we were at a birthday bbq, and I was all ready to ignore the birthday cake. Until it was birthday homemade blueberry pie! OMG, it was soooo goood! But it was just one piece and I'm happily on my way again.

Julie
Old 05-31-2005, 10:08 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I don't think of it as "to cheat or not to cheat" I think in terms of "is this a treat or not?" If it is an expensive piece of chocolate that I can sit back and enjoy, then it's a treat. If it is M&M's from a co-workers candy jar, it's probably not a treat. If it's a hot dog from a $0.89 pack of hot dogs is it really a treat? If it's a Nathans or a speciality hot dog maybe. (Yes, I'm a hot dog snob. )

Think of what you are really craving. I found that if I indulge with a small amount of what I'm really craving, then one bite is enough and I'm happy and can walk away. But if I'm substituting that cookie for something like "I'm really thirsty and need some water or I haven't eaten lunch yet and I'm starving that cookie will hit the spot" Then a bite of cookie isn't enough and I tend to go back again and again or run away so I won't be tempted. And if you have emotional hangups with food, then a cookie may not be what you want, it may be to yell at DH because he's really upset you with his thoughtless remarks.

When I first started phase 2, I was very strict and didn't eat anything op. It was after about 6 months into phase 2 that I started adding my treats because I didn't want to give up all my favorite foods. I found that many didn't taste as good as I remembered and I can easily give them up for ever. And I've also found that I'm satisified with a whole lot less then before. I could easily eat half a bag of chips by myself. But now, a handful is enough. I could polish off a bag of cookies in one evening watching tv.

I also think that treats are a part of life. After we've been OP for awhile, we have to learn to live with the foods around us with out going overboard and regaining all the weight that we've lost. Do you plan on never having birthday cake ever again? But maybe not in the beginning.

My weight loss is very slow, but I find that it's staying off because I'm trying to incorporate all this in my daily life. I'm working on only eating what taste good, leaving the "clean plate club" for life. Since I've started getting picky about what I eat, I find that it's not so hard to pass up a piece of cake after a spoonful becuase it's not that exciting.

Are you planning on staying on phase 1 until you lose 25 pounds? Or am I misunderstanding your post? It's really not good to stay on for extended time. 2-3 weeks is about the limit because it's not very balanced.

Good luck,
Sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 05-31-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:43 AM   #5  
gotta lose it!

nweisha - I say if you can have 1 bite & walk away, go for it. I myself CAN NOT. I have 1 bite, then it shortly becomes a second helping, that's probably how I got here in the first place!
Everyone is different, you need to find out what is best for you! Good luck!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:49 AM   #6  
Conquering with SBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahyu
I don't think of it as "to cheat or not to cheat" I think in terms of "is this a treat or not?"

This philosophy has worked for me. When I want something like a piece of birthday cake at a party, or a cookie, I consider it a treat that I incorporate into my eating plan. That way, I don't consider it a cheat and enjoy the treat without feelings of guilt.

However, I am also careful that I do not indulge in 'treats' unless I plan in advance to have them. I just find that, if I don't plan the treat in advance, I can have a bite here, and a bite there and really don't know that I have consumed waaaaay too many bites.

Don't consider that a cheat, but do have a plan around how you will control amounts, etc. Develop a Phase 2 plan (including adding carbs and fruits and treats) that works for your weight loss plan. Each person is individual and you will need to experiment on what works for you.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:03 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

nweisha, in Phase 1, you don't want to cheat AT ALL. Not a CRUMB. It will make the whole detox useless. Truly. When you get to Phase 2, you can have a bite, or even three bites of a cheat if you can actually walk away after (I can't). If you have cravings after that, you'll have to do Phase 1 for a couple days to get back on track. If you don't have cravings, you can keep going. However, if you had such cravings in Phase 2, I'm assuming it may have been either because you did a cheat that affected you strongly or you added in carbs too fast. I have found that I have huge cravings if I eat my starch or fruit in the morning. They go away by the next day as long as I stay OP, though.

You'll figure out what works for you.
Closed Thread