South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 12:56 PM   #1  

Question I Need Croutons!!!

HI there, chicks. I have been on South Beach Diet since 05/15/2005 & I am going totally insane. I love the SBD & the fact that it really focuses on whole foods & as a diabetic I have never felt more full of energy or healthier in my life.
After saying all of that, I need help. Something that has been a really big help to me is to keep a bunch of salad fixings in the fridge for a quick lunch/snack,etc. My delima however is that I am accustomed to having croutons with my salad. What can I use to replace croutons in my salad? I really miss the "crunch factor".

Old 05-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #2  
solitas...lacuna

I'm not familiar with the SB diet, but it's semi-low-carb, right? How about some nuts or seeds, like sunflower seeds? I use them in my salad. They have fat in them, but the GOOD fat that you need.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #3  

I use nuts all the time for the crunch, usually almonds, but really anything would work. Also, if its the crunch I am looking for, crumbled up crisp turkey bacon, snap pea, things like that really help me when searching for the texture and crunch like crutons. Depending on what phase you are on...if you are in phase 2, you could always fry up some whole wheat tortilla strips, or try your hand at making your own crutons for phase two with whole wheat bread. i wouldn't know how to go about that, but i'm sure there is a way.
GOOD LUCK
Old 05-22-2005, 03:46 PM   #4  
5yrs later/70 lbs thinner

Crunchy? Peppers or Celery. Or you can try almonds or walnuts. Nuts aren't unlimited, but they might be worth it for a splurge.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

roasted chickpeas are a great crunchy addition to salads.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:22 AM   #6  
Michael Ann 1973

You can also make some crunchy cheese (low-fat of course) or crunchy pepperoni (turkey of course) croutons. They are fabulous!

Pre-heat oven to 475 and put parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Cut cheese into 1 inch squares and place on the parchment. Bake for about 7 minutes, just check it to make sure it does not burn. The cheese will spread out and make these delicious little cheese crunchy cracker-like things. Do the same with the pepperoni! They both make a great snack and keep very well.

To keep the pepperoni, just put in baggies or airtight containers and do the same with the cheese. Both should be refrigerated, but stay crunchy. You can also pop them in the microwave for about 10 seconds to revive them to warm!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Sarah, I can't get the roasted chickpeas crunchy. They end up soft. Am I not cooking them long enough?

Nweisha, welcome! I'm glad you like SBD that much! I do too. What I've found that works really well is tossing some roasted soy nuts on my salad. Since they aren't actually nuts (they are beans), they don't cut into my daily nut ration, but they add a perfect crunch to salads and are full of protein! They really help. Of course, in Phase 2, you can make your own croutons...just cut up some WW bread into cubes, saute in a pan with a tiny bit of olive oil until crunchy, and sprinkle with seasonings. Voila!

Check out the Best Veggies thread for info on how to make your salads more nutritious. You might find that it helps to make some big casseroles or dishes on the weekend (or when you have spare time) and have them in the fridge to grab when it's time for a meal. I also find that making a side salad (like 3 bean salad, Broccoli, bacon and cheese salad, or coleslaw) and keeping it in the fridge all week helps too. I can grab some for breakfast or a snack or add it to lunch or dinner for extra veggies.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I turn on the broiler and place them under the broiler for a few minutes at the end. You really have to watch this every second and when they start to brown take them out fast. Not that I've ever burnt them to a crisp and activated the smoke alarm on while I was talking on the phone. No that could't have been me.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:48 AM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

nweisha, did any of this help you out? I hope!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:43 AM   #10  
Working for the Cruise!

I've made croutons using WW bread cut into cubes. I shake it in a bag with some seasoning (depending on the type of dressing I'm using) and olive oil and then spread in one layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400* until crisp. Works great and makes the house smell good!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:42 AM   #11  

Thanks ladies, I am once again eating salads with a smiley face (in spite of burning the chickpeas TWICE)

I certainly appreciate the help!!!
Closed Thread