PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-16-2005, 03:22 PM   #1  

Default help with PCOS and weight loss

I was just diagnosed with PCOS 10 days ago, and would like any info. for help with weight loss! I went from 135# to 225# in 6 years! finally found out the reason why...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
jesaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #2  

Hello Jesaleigh!!

I too have P.C.O.S. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago, and I eventually maxxed out at 402 lbs. But, have faith because since that day I have lost 160+ pounds. It is very hard, and you have to watch eveything you eat, but you can do it! I started by counting each and every calorie that I ate, working out, and in the beggining I pretty much ate like a diabetic should. It won't be easy but, if you need any support I am here for you!!!

Debbie
LuvdBy3Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 309/309/220

Height: 5'2"

Hey gals...I have PCOS too. I have known for about 4 years and my weight has gone up and down since then due to dieting and lack of dieting. Right now I weight 242 and am hoping to lose a minimum of 40 pounds by October to start trying to have baby. I am looking at healthy low carb diets (not no carb)....considering the 1800 cal/day diabetic diet. What diet have you been doing to lose all your weight Debbie? Good luck to all and see you around.
mandi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:19 AM   #4  

Hi Mandi!

To answer your question, I basically just counted my calories and worked out atleast 6 days a week. I try to keep my calories at around 1200 to 1400 a day, rotating each day to keep up my metabolism so I do not hit any plateaus. I personally tried to go low carb for about 2 weeks, but it caused my blood sugar to drop dramtically. So, I went to see a nutritionist and she recommended that I start low in calories (no less than 1200, ever) and no higher than 1600. So far it has worked wonders for me. I still eat my goodies but only one recommended serving (gotta measure it!) Just like a diabetic, they are still allowed to eat it, but they just cannot have as much and within moderation. Hey, it is sorta funny we were both diagnosed four years ago, and we both have about 40 more pounds to lose! I too want a baby, but I want to be the healthiest me that I can be first and foremost. Heck, we deserve it! But, whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the luck, and I am here if you ever need to vent.

Debbie

Last edited by LuvdBy3Angels; 05-20-2005 at 09:40 AM.
LuvdBy3Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 09:09 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Jesaleigh and Debbie, welcome!

There's actually a support group here for people with PCOS. It's ummm... here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70
I hope you find it helpful.

Mandi, I'm a moderator for the South Beach forum here. I'm sure you've heard of the diet. It's NOT low carb, but it's GOOD carb! A lot of people (including myself, in the past) have had good success on it.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote