Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #1  

Default Several questions

Are lamb shanks core? I wasn't sure.

Are triscuits or wheat thins core? If not, what brand of crackers would be considered core?

The limitations on brown rice and puffed rice/cereals. Can I have both in the same day, but only at one meal each or just one of those at one meal a day?

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:33 PM   #2  

I'm not sure about the lamb shanks. I've never used them, but they look fairly lean, which is what determines whether they are Core or not.

Technically, there aren't any crackers that are Core, but I've found some Triscuit-type crackers that only contain whole wheat and salt. I consider this to be the equivalent of shredded wheat cereal, as long as the crackers are eaten with cheese or another protein and the portion is reasonable. There are also some Ryvita-type crackers that are considered 0 points for a sensible portion.

You can have brown rice and a serving of Core cereal (w/milk or yogurt) in the same day. You are just not supposed to have more than one serving of either rice, potatoes, or pasta in the same day, and you have to choose only one of those types of food. That is, you can't have rice and potatoes in the same day, unless you count the points for one of them.

That said, I was told that you needn't count the potatos in, for example, a Core vegetable soup, unless they are a main ingredient. Also, if you had some dish that contained both brown rice and potatoes, it would be okay to eat a reasonable serving of that and consider it Core.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:26 PM   #3  

Cher- I'm so glad you mentioned the potatoes in soup. I have some soups in the pantry with potatoes and I have been afraid to have them because I thought they would no longer be core. Now I can use them up. What is the cracker you found?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:43 PM   #4  

I can't remember the brand name, but I got them at our local co-op and I've also seen them at other "health food" stores around here. (I'm in San Diego.)

I'll try to remember to post the brand next time I get some.
Closed Thread