South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #1  
One Smart Cookie

S/C/G: 253/196/137

Height: 5'8"

Default off to Trader Joes...

I'm planning a little shopping trip to Trader Joe's tomorrow...but every time I walk into the store there is so much new stuff that I get a little overwhelmed...any reccommendations of good South Beach stuff to buy there?? anyone else familiar with this cool food store?? Thanks in advance,

Nicki
Old 05-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Holy crap, Nicki, I am SO jealous that you are going to my version of Mecca on earth!

Trader Joe's is fantastic! Okay, one thing I found last time I was there that is marvelous is their Whole Wheat Naan bread. Great with curries! You can't go wrong with most of their food, just read labels.

Have a blast!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #3  

A lot of there food is great for P2. I am not on that phase right now because of cheating, but I just bought some great jam there that is just strawberries pureed basically. There isn't really any added sugar. They also have it in blueberry. I think its labeled Lower Sugar or something like that. I get my peanut butter there because you get a choice of salted or unsalted, great for people watching BP.

What else... We get some of their condiments, mainly the mexican ones are great for chicken. I also buy my EVOO there because its really cheap and very good.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:55 PM   #4  
One Smart Cookie

S/C/G: 253/196/137

Height: 5'8"

thanks...am extremely interested in the EVOO because I have heard about how cheap it is...and I love to cook with it...
Old 05-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #5  
gotta lose it!

Wow is Trader Joes that good? I have one up the street from me & I've never been - guess I need to check it out!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:38 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2Bfab
Wow is Trader Joes that good? I have one up the street from me & I've never been - guess I need to check it out!
omg! it is fantastic! You MUST go! I was just there today and they have packages of lettuce wraps now I thought that was kinda cool! cheap too!
I love the Cabot 50/50 cheddar cheese, yummy! The frozen artichoke hearts are my favorite find these days Have a nice time!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:43 PM   #7  

We buy the asparagus tips and my DH puts them in his omelets, that he now makes in the morning instead of me. Its been 18 months and I am finally getting him trained!

We bought the lettuce wrap filling from the frozen food section Saturday, I don't think its OP, but I think I could tweak it to be. Maybe a P2 occasionaly thing.

I haven't tried that cheese yet, my Sam's sells it and I have always looked at it, maybe I will buy it next time, because they don't carry the low fat laughing cow.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #8  

Wow! I didn't see the wrap filling, just the lettuce wraps themselves. I'll have to check them out Thanks!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Well depends on which phase you are in, I'll tell you what I buy or have bought. One thing to remember is that if you don't like the taste of something you've bought, you can take it back. That's one way they decide on which items the stock and which get removed.

Low fat cheeses, they have a wonderful selection of low fat cheeses.
Shredded mozzerella/chedder soy cheese that taste pretty good and it melts like real cheese. Fresh salsa, hummus,

Soy bacon, soy sausage-ok, but kind of spicy. Tempeh, tofu, smoked salmon, diced puschito (sp) ham-not really sb friendly, but so flavorful that a small amount added to eggs is great.

They have a wonderful bread that is whole wheat and contains 5g of fiber per slice. Next time I buy it, I'm putting it in the freezer, it has no preservatives and it molds easily, even when I put in the fridge- after a week the corners were moldy.

nuts, peanut butter, other types of nut butters, spices, soy milk sometimes, If I think of what else, I'll add it.

edited to add:
teas green & herbal, they also have a chai tea in a tea bag that is sugar free, very tastey; olive oil, frozen vegetables, meatless sausage patties-again a little on the spicy side-I think it's because it doesn't have the fat to sort of neutralize the spiciness.
Uncle Sam cereal, Kashi Good Friends cereal, Old fashion oat meal, sometimes flax seeds- but I tend to buy my SCO and flax seeds at Whole foods market in the bulk section, cheaper.

I wonder the aisles and check ingredients and try different canned things occasionally too.

Sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 05-03-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Soon, you are KILLING me!!! I LOVE Trader Joe's and you have one right down the street and don't go??? When you go for the first time, you are going to kick yourself for not having gone before this WOE, because there are tons of goodies that aren't OP that are beyond delicious. Maybe once in a while in Phase 3? Their aisle of chocolate covered everything is to die for...wonder how much of it is dark choc?

Jamie, and others buying the jam, check and see if it's made with fruit juice. If so, it's a nono. We can't have the juice. If it's just fruit, then that's fine. I recently found that Polaner (who makes All-Fruit Jam) makes a sugar free kind with no fruit juice, just fruit and splenda. It's delicious, and TJs might carry it.

I also love TJs lotions. They have one in a white bottle with a red label that is decadent and very cheap. It works wonders on my rough elbows. (I sound like a commercial! )

I also love their frozen peppers...they are tricolored and really easy to add to stir-fry.

They have a couple of canned vegetarian chilis that are delicious too.
Closed Thread