Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #1  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Any feedback on vitamin B12?

Hi everyone,

I really don't believe in a miracle pill, but I recently read in Men's Health magazine that taking Vitamin B12 (I think it was at least 35mcg) can speed up your metabolism. They did a study and people that took it lost more weight than people that didn't.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this/has heard anything about it?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Haven't heard that one, Chris, but B12 is a good overall vitamin. Congrats on your weight loss, you rock!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:49 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

You know...I would bet that ANY study done on people who took daily vitamins vs people who didn't would probably find that the people who DID take a daily vitamin supplement in general lost more weight than the group that did not.

I don't think that's due to any possible weight-loss element in the vitamin itself or whether it increases your metabolism or whatever...I think it might be due more to the fact that people who make sure to take their vitamins daily are, perhaps, more health-oriented and living healthier lifestyles than those who do not...of course I'm not an MD or a scientist but somehow that makes sense to me.

Also, the SupplementWatch article on B12 mentions NOTHING about weight loss. Of course they aren't the be-all end-all, but I'd put more trust in them than Men's Health, personally.

Just my two cents!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #4  
Future Wonder Woman

Domina, thanks a lot! Now, if I can keep it off and keep going.

Mrs. Jim...that's a good point: people that take vitamins are probably more health conscious. I see a bunch of studies that say one thing and I think, "Yeah, but that may be because..." and it could be something else they are experiencing. They should get more in depth than they do in their studies. Well, I bought some the other day and I am going to give them a shot BUT...I just started trying to eat healthier again + work out better, so if I have any results, it might be from my changes!

Thanks girls.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooworld
Domina, thanks a lot! Now, if I can keep it off and keep going.

Mrs. Jim...that's a good point: people that take vitamins are probably more health conscious. I see a bunch of studies that say one thing and I think, "Yeah, but that may be because..." and it could be something else they are experiencing. They should get more in depth than they do in their studies. Well, I bought some the other day and I am going to give them a shot BUT...I just started trying to eat healthier again + work out better, so if I have any results, it might be from my changes!

Thanks girls.
Yah...it kind of reminds me of all those articles back in the 80's and 90's I read about the "French Paradox" - remember them - wondering how the French could eat rich cheeses and foods and drink wine and not have the weight problems that we had here in America. The consensus (back then), as I recall, was that it was the red wine that was keeping them so fit and healthy

Of course NOW we know that it's mostly because your typical French person (not the ones who have adopted American fast-food eating habits!) eat SMALLER PORTIONS. They're not eating a quarter-pound of Brie cheese or huge sugary pastries (what we here in the States think of as "French Pastries" - if you want a shock go to France or pretty much anywhere in Europe and you'll see first off that their dessert items are MUCH smaller in size - bite into most of them and you'll find that they're a LOT less sweet as well!).

So to me...it's the same thing. Generally speaking, I'd say that people who make sure to take their vitamins each day are probably healthier than your average non-vitamin-taker! Aha!!!
Old 03-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #6  
Future Wonder Woman

Perhaps I should start taking vitamins then...kind of like investing in an investment: I have an idea I believe in and I believe in it so much that I will put money (actually, vitamins) down on it...the investment being that I will be a healthier person...hopefully that includes losing weight!
Closed Thread