Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #1  

Default What Would You Suggest To Do?

I realize this question rightly belongs in the Exercise section, but I've come to know a few regulars that hang out in this section that are on top of the exercise and diet game, so I'm going to ask it here. I should point out that I have a background in weight-training, having previously worked in large national gym chains and competed myself, but this question really puzzles me.

I was asked recently by a female for advice. I gave the standard reply about diet, cardio and resistance. But the more I thought about her question, the more I scratched my head. I've run across the same situation with males, and was wondering what advice anyone here would give to a female asking the question. Basically the situation is an otherwise slim person that has a huge "pot belly".

The person I'm talking about gave me this personal information. There's no names mentioned, so I don't see any harm in sharing it to get her a qualified answer to her question. Here's what she asked: "I am 25 years old and have a 7 year old daughter. After she was born I went back to my normal weight of 115. Since then my weight has gone up consistantly and I now weigh 145 (I'm 5'3). The huge issue is my huge belly. I have no clue where it came from. It went from 28" 4 years ago to 41" now! 41 inches! I cut my calories from 2100 to 1300, I exercise, I drink lots of water. It just keeps growing. People think I'm pregnant! I'm 100% positive I'm not (My boyfriend and I broke up 3 years ago and I haven't been sexually active since). Does anyone else deal with this? Is it ever going to get better?"

She even shared a photo on her web page to indicate what she's talking about. Again, as she placed it on the net, and it's not a personal photo, I don't see any harm in sharing the link. Here it is: Photo.

Can someone take a look and suggest what advice you would give this individual regarding her question? Thanks! It really has me puzzled and I'm curious to see what the predominately female users in this section would suggest to this female!
chefbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #2  

i don't have any diet/exercise advice to offer, but i'd go in for a medical checkup if i were her. my mother noticed something similar a few years back, and it turned out that she had a large (luckily benign) tumor. the chances of this are super slim, but i think it's worth asking a doctor's opinion since she's tried so many other solutions.
redchinamarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:56 PM   #3  
Mel

I'd definitely tell her to see a doctor. She should start with her GP or internist, but I suspect will end up at at endocrinologist or gynecologist. That's not a "normal" fat distribution pattern. Notice that her arms and legs are disproportionately slender, and all her excess fat is stored in her abdomen. Diet and exercise may help, but I doubt that's her problem.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:30 AM   #4  

Hi,
I agree strongly with Mel here that she consults a doctor. This potbelly does not look normal, also the people in her environment thinks she is pregnant rather than obese, so they also notice this is not the normal fat distribution for a weight problem.

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:49 AM   #5  

Having a huge bloated belly is the #1 symptom of ovarian cancer. She should see her obgyn immediately.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #6  
Mel

It's also a symptom of some less drastic diseases and symptoms. I agree she should get to a doc, but let's not scare her to death! If this has been going on for a few years, I doubt it's ovarian cancer.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:45 PM   #7  

Sorry, didn't mean to sound alarmist...I have 3 friends who have been through ovarian cancer. While it is unlikely that this individual has cancer, all 3 of my friends had a huge bloated belly as a symptom to their problem. They looked 7 months pregnant.
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #8  

Yes, I was going to suggest the ovarian problem as well . That does not look like normal 'fat' to me, so she needs to see a doctor just to make sure.
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote