Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-28-2005, 05:41 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers - February 28 - March 6

Good morning! We're getting ready for a huge snowfall here, both in inches and in TIME - the weather forecast just said it's going to last for 72 hours! I have five appointments at the gym today, scattered from 8 AM to 6:30 PM tonight, so plan to pack food and stay there all day rather than trying to drive back and forth. I'll take my textbook to study and printed out a whole bunch of 'Exercises You've Never Heard Of' from one of the muscle mags and I'm working my way through those (and getting a lot of looks from other gym members). Ilene, you would LOVE this stuff!

I'm sorry that I haven't been around much lately. I caught a cold and that on top of working and studying has really limited my computer time. Hope everyone is doing well - especially our expectant mom .

And ... let's all think spring!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 06:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default I hunted unsuccessfully for a floundering recidivists thread

So I wondered if I might join you here

Somethin's gotta give here girls! Drinking wine, whining and hiding in my room has earned me ..... about 12 lbs. My family wishes I'd go to my room permanently and I'd agree but there's no fridge in there.

Today .... 1300 calories, 20 minutes of cardio and 15 minutes of resistance exercise. Honest!

For motivation I've got about four weeks of threads to read. Talk about denial!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 07:18 AM   #3  
Mel

Weclome back, SusanB. I think you didn't hunt too hard... those thread are there. Try Lapse and relapse. Most of us have been there, either briefly or for an extended stay. You're not alone. Come on out of your room, and get back on track

Meg- Hope you are feeling better. We are waiting for the snow. School is "on", but they are have already announced early closings although there's not a flake in sight. Dh is flying in this afternoon from England (he flew out in a snowstorm, so why not?), and most of my clients have canceled. Yours must be more dedicated. At this point, I only have a 10:30 and a 5 pm. I'm hoping the 5pm cancels.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 08:23 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Morning everybody,

SusanB welcome back! Sounds like you are off to a good start. Like Mel said, it happens to all of us. I think that is a characteristic of us maintainers. When life happens, we pick up and start again.

Meg, hope your cold is better. Mel, stay warm with all that snow!

I'm slogging along OK. Worried about my weight gain of course. I've gained a little bit more than I wanted to at this point, but I don't think it's too horrible. Wondering if I'll get the lecture at my next OB appt on Friday. The news of the week is that morning sickness has caught up with me. On the plus side, it's pretty mild, no actual vomitting (yet), just a lot of nausea. But on the down side, it sticks with me most of the day. Not that I'm still not hungry at the same time! Great. I can mostly tolerate fruits, yogurt, and simple sugars and starches. So aside from the fruit and yogurt, I'm eating a lot of crap. Not really happy about that, but just the thought of cauliflower or whole grain toast is enough to send me to the bathroom for a while to rethink it. Had a close call at the grocery store yesterday and am thinking of assigning that chore to DH for a while.

Was feeling a lot more energetic last week, got in all my exercise, until yesterday, when I pretty much didn't get off the couch. I suppose those days will happen. Work should be stressful thjs week, as we are preparing for a very important review, but I can't seem to get too worked up about it. I think that's probably a good thing, actually.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:05 PM   #5  

Hi,

I had a very stressful last week - on Friday day care called that my DD is sick and I went home. Had to drive back at 3PM for a bunch of meetings - who in the right state of mind does meetings on Fri afternoon? Thanks God hubby could make it home to stay with DD.

A lot of stress resulted in weight creeping up. It is now reached 134 pounds again and stays there steady. i try my best to lower it down, but seems like it is slow, o how slow!!!

Other than that, DD is back to day care today and I am back to work.

Meg ~ Don't stress out on top of beeing revocering from cold... If ti snows - how you cliens are going to make it to the gym?

SusanB - welcome back on track, you know where to find us...

Anne - gaining weight during PG is normal. Actually, food helps to sooth nausea - I used crackers - you can even choose whole wheet low fat ones... They really help, even though the last thing you think about when youo are nauseous is to eat...

Meg - hope they cancel. last time I went to my class in snow I almost ended up in a ditch... Good luck!
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:21 PM   #6  

Hi all!

What a gray and dreary Monday. Snow's on the way, but nothing like Meg and Mel are going to get. Hang in there!

Anne, as I was reading your post I was thinking that it's too bad EVERYONE can't have a baby at some point in their lives to serve as a reminder of what's really important. The humdrum of business, including reviews,evaluations, signings, deadlines, projects, and most crises, would be relegated to the attention they actually deserve. And in the for-what-it's-worth department, I can remember my mom saying that she had such awful heartburn for the 9 months she carried my brother that she didn't eat much more than cottage cheeze and poached eggs, morning, noon and night. I'd say if yogurt and fruit taste good, go for it. (Of course, I say that never having been pregnant, so take my well-intentioned but woefully inexperienced advice with a giant grain of salt )

SusanB, let me slide over on this maintenance bench and open up a seat for you Welcome back! You're not doing anything I haven't done many many times. I suppose I could say recidivists are us, but I prefer to think of it as maintainers are us. Remember the inescapable fact of (maintenance) life? Up. Down. Up. Down. The first step the hardest and you've already taken it!

Lunch salad is done; gotta get crackin' in my water. Talk to you later chickies.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #7  

Sashenka, you slipped in while I was posting. I, too, have suffered a little stress-related creep. So, all together now: let's breathe slowly, deeply and with a sense of calm. Let's eat well and wisely, if only for today. Let's try to get a little exercise in. We can do this today. We will take care of tomorrow, tomorrow.

I'm not the only one thinking along these lines: I strongly urge you all to skip over to today's Skinny Daily Post, "Loving Charlie" by Juju. Good advice for us all. http://www.skinnydailypost.com/index.html

Hugs,
Old 02-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Girls !!

SusanB welcome back!! At least you came back to the forum to discuss the problem, most don't and give up... Don't give up, we're all here to help...
Good golly shows I'm French I had NO IDEA what "recidivist" meant!! I had to look it up , now I know! and in the process found a great site wordreference.com !

My week is starting off in really odd way! Last night our new vice-principal ( a VERY good friend also ) called to see if I could babysit her son who is very sick, of course I said yes... I jogged there this morning took me 18 minutes, it felt great... He sure was a breeze to babysit he slept most of the time I was there... Now I hope I don't catch what he has...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:52 AM   #9  

Hi Maintainers,

Meg & Mel; good luck with the snow!!!

It is very cold around here as well. I have another appointment i dread as well this morning, and now I am also afraid that my car won't start because of the cold. My husband got it on this morning & ran it for a while to warm up, now I worry that this might have killed the battery altogether. However, I will know it when I have to leave.

SusanB, Sashenka: just keep hanging in there. I agree with Robin Airregirl.. keep on going, take a deep breath, and go on with life. probabely just a temporary slip-up, one cannot expect to be 100% perfect all the time.

Anne: In my experience with 2 pregnancies combined with big work pressure I can tell you please take your time and take your rest whenever you feel that you need it. It is probabely a sign that the baby needs it as well.
And while pregnancy is different for everyone, I also want to alert you to the fact that while many women apparently could function as usual during PG, I for one was NOT. I got tired much more easily, I was more easily emotionally disturbed and towards the end I got dumb. Working at that time in male oriented and male dominated surroundings this completely took me by surpise, but I later found out this is not so strange at all. Take care and enjoy that's my PG motto.

Have a good day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the encouragement folks, feels great! I gotta tell ya tho' ... I still grabbed my coffee and hunted for my ashtray (for just a split second) on my way to the computer just now.

I overshot my food yesterday by one sandwich during American Idol. A sandwich! yeesh!

My in and out were neck and neck at 1800 cals. It should have been so easy to have a deficit at that. I'll bump up the weights a bit today.

I think we're supposed to get that terrible mixed precipitation storm today so I won't likely be walk/jogging outside. We'll see ... lots of times they warn and whine about a terrible storm watch and nothing comes of it. We can hope
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:14 AM   #11  

Hi gang:
Back to snow cardio here today, dreading the roads. Its the crazy people not the snow who scare you. Oh well. Vacation trip for me next week so I am a happy camper. On meds so I am avoiding the scale. Don't need some water weight numbers to start a slip. Exercise is on a walking only basis till I feel better. Hate when life sets you back. Its bad enough when I set myself back.(LOL)

Nice to see everyone this week.
Rabbit don't let those dreaded appointments bring you down. You made it through the last one and you'll make it through all the ones to come.
Airegrrrl: Your post always calm my spirit. Thanks.

The shovel awaits.
Back from the skinnydaily post link from Airegrrrl. Great article, dont miss it.

Last edited by Reg4242; 03-01-2005 at 07:19 AM.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:35 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 145/132/115

Height: 5'2.5

Hello everyone!

I must apologize first and foremost for not posting in so long. I have just been super busy, out of town, and spending WAY too much time at school.

I have maintained steady with the weight but am getting that super motivated feeling to kick it into high gear again. I go through spurts of maintaining and losing...weird, I know lol. But I have made it a point to try and do the treadmill everyday for half an hour. I need to start adding some strength training.

I love reading the posts here because it makes me feel so much better. I just love reading about your lives and your dedication to a healthy lifestyle. I got off track just for a bit because I am so confused with my life at this point. I will be graduating university next year and I am not really happy with my program choice. I just don't have a desire anymore to work in a business setting - it's so not me. I am kicking myself real hard in the butt for not studying something I am more passionate about - but I was so young when I had to decide and I let my parents influence me. I LOVE fitness and nutrition and there is a program at my University called "Food & Nutrition" - I wish I did that. Maybe now I wouldn't be feeling so low about working in a corporate environment for the rest of my life...I know, I am jumping a bit ahead of myself here, but its so frustrating....I am trying to work through it and not turn to food.

However, I have been toying with the idea of applying to teacher's college. I love working with people and helping people. I have always been told I would make a great teacher. I am having a hard time finding out what exactly I have to do to go that route, but there is still time.

Oh boy! So sorry for the rant! I needed to get that out to someone, hehehe.

Thanks for listening
Cyndy
cyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:44 AM   #13  

Good morning everyone!

Meg, hope you feel better! Your schedule sounds busy but fun!!

Ilene, I had to look up "recidivist," too, and I'm not French. Good word!

Took my own 3-month long trip into recidivism (and denial) during the holidays and have now lost all but 2 of the 16 lbs that found their way back to me. I didn't think I'd ever get my confidence back (which was scary), but it's amazing how strong you feel after just a few days of getting back on track. Good luck Susan! You can do it!!

Anne, your posts sure bring back a lot of memories. My morning sickness was like yours. I had to keep hard candy in my mouth almost all day long in order to keep from gagging. My first born, who was under a year at the time, learned how to imitate my gag reflex which left me embarrassed whenever we were in public. Hang in there, you really sound like you're doing great! Congrats on all the exercise - sounds like you more than deserved that couch time.

Robin, thanks for sharing the Skinny Daily Post. Very enjoyable. I've bookmarked the site and plan to do more exploring.

Good luck with the snow, guys. I guess it's heading our way, as well. I've enjoyed the Spring-like weather lately, but I knew it was way too good to last.

This week is going well. Survived my son's birthday weekend without too much damage. I was able to keep things moderate without triggering overeating or bingeing (huge relief). This is my all cardio week - my attempt to change things up a bit with my exercise. Yesterday started it out with a step class and a broken A/C. I think I sweat 5 lbs off. It was so hot.

Have a great day!!!
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #14  

Ahem .... oh Cyndy ..............

Exactly where is it written that you will have to work in a corporate environment for the rest of your life? Chickie, you have the most wonderful life ahead of you! Who knows what it will bring. Look upon the education you are receiving as a valuable tool. No matter what you wind up doing in the next chapter, you will most likely be able to use some or all of what you're learning now. That's one of the great things about life; nothing is wasted!
In the meantime, you've maintained during a highly stressful period and for that you get a great big Welcome back. We've missed you.

Rabbit, I'll be thinking of you today. Good luck at that appointment, and getting that *^@# car started.

SusanB, as long as you didn't actually find the ashtray and press it into service, no harm, no foul. Do you know, when I quit smoking all those years ago, there were mornings I woke up totally convinced I had smoked in the middle of the night. The images were so powerful, I'd actually look around for butts. It was weird. This too shall pass. Good job on your food; a measley sandwich is easily accounted for, eh?

Reg42, good job on avoiding the scale when you KNOW it's going to be up. These days I'm just staying away from the fool thing all together. It makes me nuts, and I just don't need that kind of aggravation. Clothes are fitting fine. That's all I need to know. I'm glad you liked yesterday's Skinny Daily ... it sounds to me like JuJu has a very full plate these days.

Well, I guess I better try to get a little something done around here. Can you believe it, I'm STILL working on those dratted minutes. This is probably the best time to do it ... I had a giant protein powder shake this morning, and I'm stuffed. No way I could graze and edit this time. But I think I'll get a little

Be careful out there today.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:45 PM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Gang

There is soooo much snow here !! :snf: And guess what, they did NOT close the schools... Go figure....

I made it in to the gym to do legs this morning... Went to my parents helped my father with shoveling... later when DS gets home I'll go out and do ours, by that time it'll probably go to my knees!! it was just a few inches away from my knees a minute ago ....

Anne -- I remember when I was PG I could not stand the smell of brocolli and cauliflower, my 2 fav veggies, cooking.... So for 9 months I didn't eat any... What I also remember about being PG is that, for me, it was like having full blown PMS/peri-menopausal symtoms for 9 straight months, I bet I was just a JOY to live with ....

Cyndy -- Robin is absolutely right, there is nothing in life that is a waste of time, they are all good lessons....Hang in there!

Karyn -- a change up in routine is always good.... I love to sweat now a year ago I would never had thought that I would've liked it.....

Rabbit -- Good luck at your appt, I hope your car starts...

OH NO I just heard the snow plow go by, I bet the snow banks are now at my waist!! :sman: Well I should go start sooner than later on this shoveling.... TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote