Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #1  

Default avoiding temptations

Anyone else experience problems with staying on plan when you live with some one who isn't on a diet?
spiffychick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:15 PM   #2  

I used to but don't have much trouble with it these days. First of all, I've pretty much stopped having "for them" and a "for me" meals. They don't really notice as I've found most of our favorite recipes were pretty easy to modify without a noticable difference. Second, I finally just had to make up my mind that I was going to succeed regardless of any outside pressures. Like it or not, life happens, and I can't let every little obstacle keep me from reaching my goals. To be perfectly honest, I realized that I was using my family as an excuse NOT to have to do something that was hard for me. I'm the one whose fat, it just isn't fair to say that I can't stay on track because they aren't fat and don't have to follow the same restrictions. Now, I'm not saying that isn't a tough spot to be in, just that I had to make up my mind whether or not I wanted to lose the weight or keep it on.

One thing that I find helps me keep my focus is to remind myself that even if I were at my goal weight right now, these situations would still exist. There will always be that friend that can seemingly eat without gaining a pound, I will always have family that doesn't have to work quite as hard as I do to stay healthy, there will always be stessful situations that would make a good excuse to eat my heart out. So, I try not to think of these situations as temptations but, instead, as day to day things that will require me to make a decision on my own behalf. I'm the only one who can choose to make the RIGHT decision and it won't be because the temptation was too big if I make the wrong one. It will be because I made a bad choice. I really believe that once I put my whole heart into losing weight it all became much easier. I can't believe that I've reached this point but I have. For instance, I ordered pizza for the family the other night. Whereas I once would have just drooled over their every bite this time I ate my Lean Cuisine pizza and salad, felt satisifed (and that was enough), and watching the rest of them scarf down that greasy stuff actually made my stomach turn a little. Let me tell you, it was a WEIRD experience.

It is tough at first but, like anything else we do, it will get easier over time. Just don't give up in the meantime and take it day by day. Good luck to you!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #3  

What an excellent way to look at the situation!!!
spiffychick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #4  

yeah, i love your positive attitude..everyone should think like you do!
lovemychocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #5  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

VERY good thoughts, jawsmom!! I am using my husband's indulgences as excuses...he is gaining hand-over-fist, to a very unhealthy size; and I am letting it get in the way of my goals. It's very difficult, but as you pointed out, we are each responsible for our good or bad choices. thanks for the reminder, and best of luck to all of us in succeeding.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote