Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #1  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Question Friday's Menus - What's Cooking At Your Place?

Here goes:

Breakfast:
1 packet instant plain oatmeal
1/2 c. sf/ff yogurt
decaf w/lite cream (1)
24 oz water completed!!!!

Lunch:
leftover stir fry chicken
mixed veggies
1/2 sweet potato
banana
another 18 oz hopefully down!!

Snack:
cut up veggies (carrots, grape tomatoes, red pepper and cucumber)
w/lf ranch dressing (2)

apple?

Dinner:
Roast chicken (if dh follows directions and timing!)
couscous
brussel sprouts/cauliflower

1/2 c sf/ff yogurt
more water??

Tomorrow morning is WEIGH IN #2 - keeping fingers crossed and GUZZLING LOTS OF WATER TODAY! flush out that fat!!!

Froufie
Old 01-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #2  

Froufie, I feel confident your WI tomorrow is going to be everything you want it to be but here's some crossed fingers ... just in case!

Here's a question from a not-so-good ... and certainly not creative ... cook ... how do you cook the couscous stuff? I made some the other night and thought it was rather mealy and gritty in a tasteless kind of way. I cooked it with water and some pepper ... maybe it needs a lot more liquid than what the package says?

Your menu sounds great ... why don't you pop down here to Florida and cook for me?

Deborah
Old 01-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

Deborah, LOL, nothing is going to change the texture of couscous. You sound JUST like my husband. I made one recipe with it and he took one bite and that was it! He said it was like having pebbles in his mouth! I cook mine with chicken broth and garlic powder. It also helps if you have a sauce to go over it.

Our Linda LOVES the stuff. Sounds like you aren't a big fan either!
Old 01-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #4  

Try the Mediterranean couscous on the recipe board, under side dishes. It doesn't change the texture, but it at least has taste! I actually enjoyed eating it, and I haven't been a great fan of couscous either.

Angela
Old 01-21-2005, 01:10 PM   #5  

B - oatmeal and banana and p. butter
L - baked potato salsa
S - yogurt and fruit
D - pasta with chicken
S - popcorn
fruit
Old 01-21-2005, 01:21 PM   #6  
Card Carrying Princess

Talking I'm Packing Right Now!

Oh Deborah,

IS THAT AN INVITE??? Are you kidding ??- it's -41 degrees here and some cooking in Florida sounds pretty good to me right now!!!! I'll make the most fabulous couscous you've ever tasted!

I don't mind the texture.....I think you do need to add more "flavoring" to make it yummier - try using a broth if you can. I bought these two "new" tetra pak broths by Campbell's...one is japanese flavor (if I remember something like teriyaki & ginger) and a chinese one (soy sauce and garlic??)..I am hoping to try one of those for the couscous. You may also wish to add sauteed veggies to make it more interesting.

Thanks for the crossed fingers - not sure if I should lose the jeans this week or not (have worn them for last two weigh-ins - and may "change" outfits in a desperate moment - if you know what I mean! )

Froufie

Last edited by Froufy; 01-21-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:45 PM   #7  

Thanks, Vickie, Angela, and Froufie, for the suggestions. I'll put them to use since I've got the rest of the box to use up. I make a lot of soups with lentils and barley ... would the couscous work as the grain in a soup or will it still be gritty no matter how long I simmer it?

Since all of you are obviously way ahead of me in the kitchen, what grain do you eat most on Core? I like brown rice but wouldn't know where to start to find quinoa or wheatberries or some of the other more exotic things I've seen mentioned.

Froufie, you and Vickie stay warm this weekend. You're welcome in my neck of the woods any time ... not much winter here. It's 65+ here today but we have a real cold snap forecast for Sunday ... highs in the 40's!!!

I know ... I know ... I should be ashamed of myself!

Deborah
Old 01-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #8  

My favorite grain so far is barley. It's so versatile, and I actually like it better than rice. I find rice has kind of a sticky texture; barley has a similar flavor but is chewier. I've eaten it in place of rice in almost everything. Plus, you can have it more than once a day on core, so there's that added benefit too. : )

Angela
Old 01-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

Nice try, Deborah! NOTHING you do is going to change the texture of that couscous! It does help, though, when you get a little flavor in it. I like barley best but never thought of substituting it for brown rice. I like the brown rice in things. I'm not too crazy about it without a sauce just plain on my plate. I cook alot but haven't experimented with the exotic stuff either. I have tried the polenta and it's pretty good. Reminds me of the outside of a tamale.

Froufie, I had NEVER heard of the flavored broths. Thanks much for that tip. I can see me trying out the garlic one.

Last edited by Vickie; 01-21-2005 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #10  
Card Carrying Princess

Exclamation Flavored Broths!

Vickie - I think they are fairly new - come in small tetra pak containers (not the big ones) and so far I have seen those two flavors so picked them up. I would presume if we canadians can get the stuff you americans probably can find it - on sale - in fifteen different flavors - no fat - no sugar - in fact no calories! ha ha ha

My girlfriend and I are actually planning a spring ww food shopping fest in the Spring. Ottawa is about 1 hr away from the border and Ogdensburg, NY where there are a couple of grocery chain stores. Waiting for warmer weather to pack up the cooler w/ice and grab some of the ff and specialty items you can't find here!

I will looking to all of you for advice and shopping suggestions!

Froufie

P.S. Just had a look at that Meditteranean couscous recipe - sounds good -is there anything wrong with just having couscous for supper seeing as there is no chicken for me tonight???

Last edited by Froufy; 01-21-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Closed Thread