Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-17-2005, 08:48 AM   #1  

Default I need help & Advice, please

Hi

Thanks for reading my post and for your advice if you have any.

I used to be bulimic, but now I have given up the purging - so I am an compulsive overeater. (only just admitted to myself recently)

But i am so scared. I know if i carry on eating i will get bigger and bigger. |But i have now control around food. I eat when im lonely, depressed, bored etc and I am so impulsive i cannot think rationally. I live with a housemate but she works nights so noone is there to stop me. She also keeps biscuits/choc all the time and she has tried 'hiding' them from me but i always find them when i get that 'need' to binge.

I did a search on the internet on tips to help you control these 'needs'/impulses to binge but did not get a great response, so wondered if anyone has any tactics or advice. I dont understand this 'need' I get - is there any reason for it or i am just greedy?

thanks again.

From A desperate overeater.
This is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:11 AM   #2  

Hello, first step to healing is admitting you have a problem, congradulations. I was there too, not so long ago. When I admitted to myself that I had an eating disorder, I was more aware of what went into my mouth and more aware of the damage I was doing to my body. Like any compulsion, eating is only a crutch to what are really problems are. We seem helpless, abandoned, no one understands use, but there are millions of us out there. I was feeling the affects of binge eating, I had and still have chronic back pain, swallon legs and pain in my thighs, etc.... I could go one. These are the things that motivated me to take control. I once weight 140 lbs. was training 4 to 5 times a week and was in such good shape and health. Today, I weigh 230 lbs. and I have a goal to control the demon (eating) that has overtaken my life. I will always be fighting this demon for the rest of my life. When I feel depressed, when things go bad, I just have to notice the signs and grab hold of my life. It ain't easy, GOD knows, but if I can do it you can do it too.
suziqavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:59 AM   #3  

Thanks for your words of support. I know it is enough of thinking enough is enough, but it is so hard. I have PCOS and that cant even stop me! I think that writing a list of negativities will be an incentive though and maybe keep it on the inside of the food cupboard.

I used to be slim too and now all i feel is disgust - so i understand where you are coming from as im 207lbs now. I also need to get fit as a want to join the police - so i have the incentives but impulses are so hard to control especially when your mood is low.

well done to you anyway! you seem like you are now the one in control and not the food that is the most impt thing! keep at it!

Thanks,

Marie
This is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:36 PM   #4  

Cool

Hi Marie

I have been thinking of a couple suggestions for you. Some of them may be a little extreme but I think they could all be positive. I am bulimic so I do understand about the compulsive eating. I struggle with it daily as I am home alone with my DD and my fiance works out of town, so I am faced with loneliness and boredom every day. Here are my suggestions to you:

Start with how you shop. Firstly, choose healthy choices like whole grains and fresh fruits and veggies. Secondly, shop with meals in mind. This means that when you get home, in order to eat a meal you will have to take the time to prepare and cook something, which will help control that need for instant gratification a bit. Most important of all, make sure you go shopping with a list already prepared, and don't get anything that isn't on your list, and also make sure you aren't hungry when you do go shopping. This should help curb your cravings a bit more.

Another thing you could do (although I don't know how well this would go over with your housemate) is to get rid of your microwave. Leftovers can be reheated in an oven safe container but it will also take a while to reheat it, just like preparing a meal from scratch. Once again, this helps stall the need for the instant gratification.

Also if you feel like having some goodies, buy lots of baking supplies (with healthful choices in mind) and bake some yourself. You can always freeze a batch and then if you wanted to take a couple out to eat, once again you learn patience while waiting for them to defrost. But when buying baking supplies make sure you think of low-fat/low-calorie/low-sodium varity of supplies, you could consider using Splenda instead of sugar as well.

Another thing that has helped me... is to drink LOTS of water or fluids of any sort. Filling up on water between meals helps to curb the munchies or the meandering grazing I tend to do throughout the day. Also having a cup of chamomile tea a while after supper puts a nice cap on my evening and relaxes me and my digestive system. Drinking lots of fluids is good for you so if you pick and choose the appropriate times to drink it (when you're feeling munchy) it can work in your favor in more ways than one.

My very last suggestion would be to keep lots of fresh fruits and veggies, or the dried variety, on hand for when the munchies hit and water just won't cut it. You could have a serving of fruit and a big glass of fruit juice or water to help you feel full. You could keep some other healthful snacks on hand in small quantities as well; small amounts of nuts or sunflower seeds, rice cakes, gummy bears, jelly beans, etc.

It's definitely a mind over matter thing. You really have to decide that you're going to fight it with everything you've got and that you'll do whatever it takes. There's also many other things you could try when you have the urge to binge.... going for a walk instead, meditating, journaling, crafting, chewing gum, phoning a friend, cleaning the house, painting your nails, and so on... the important thing is to keep yourself busy and positive... and don't forget to take it one day at a time. Also consider other outside sources of support such as Overeaters Anonymous. I know all of this has helped me in the past and continues to help me today.... I hope it can help you as well!

*HUGS*
Dietrie
silly is offline   Reply With Quote