Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-14-2005, 03:27 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Question How much exercise per week?I'm just starting...

Okay, so I started my workout plan on Sunday, Jan. 9th. I've worked out every day since then, doing cardio mostly. I walked yesterday and then did some sit-ups, leg-lifts, and wall push-ups (I can't do regular push-ups for anything in the world!!) So, my question to you is, should I keep exercising like this ever day? Or, since I'm just starting to work out again after years of being inactive, should I keep it down to 3-4 days a week? I don't want to burn myself out! Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:32 AM   #2  
Om shanti

Getting into the habit of exercising every day is very important, especially with respect to keeping the weight off long-term once you've lost it.

I was uneasy about doing anything other than walking when I started without it being directed, either by a video or a formal class environment, because I didn't trust myself to be consistent about it. YMMV, of course, though, so you need to ask yourself whether you're really doing the anerobic exercise consistently, without allowing your discipline to falter and therefore decrease its effectiveness. You may find, as I did, that something more formal, which you can have some external gauging help you be consistent, may help.

There is no question, though, that you definitely need some weight-bearing exercise, at least three or four times per week, in order to spare the lean-body mass you'll need to help keep the weight you lose off long-term.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:53 AM   #3  

Oh my goodness...
Everything that that you just said sounded like Latin to me! I'm sorry!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:14 AM   #4  
Om shanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemetarysiren25
Oh my goodness...
Everything that that you just said sounded like Latin to me! I'm sorry!
Sorry about that.... it may actually raise another issue for you: One of the most powerful things you can do for your health is to learn about the issues you're facing. I highly recommend getting a clearer understanding of the factors that drive obesity and fitness, so you can not only understand what other folks are talking about when discussing those issue, but so that you can guard against the really bad information that is sometimes posted online. The more you know, the better off you'll be.

Anyway, what I said...

- YMMV = Your mileage may vary

- anaerobic = literally means "without oxygen" but typically used to refer to exercise that is intended to build muscle rather than burn calories

- lean-body mass = that part of your body which is not fat -- your body burns a certain number of calories at rest each day based on how much lean-body mass it has. The more lean-body mass, the more calories you burn at rest. When folks talk about having a slow metabolism, it is typically a matter of low lean-body mass.

Okay, so, in a nutshell, what I said before was:

Anaerobic exercise is very important as it builds lean-body mass, and therefore will help you keep your weight-loss off long-term. It should be a fundamental part of your exercise routine each week. So you should be doing some aerobic exercise and some anaerobic exercise: Walking is a form of aerobic exercise; sit-ups, leg lifts and push-ups are anaerobic exercise.

When I was losing my weight, though, I noticed that when I didn't have something "external" monitoring how well I was doing my anaerobic exercise, I tended to do such exercise in an inconsistent and less effective manner. So I found it very beneficial to do my anaerobic exercise either with a video or in a class environment, rather than just trying to add some in to my personal exercise routine, such as after walking. Videos I used included The Firm; and I took both body sculpting and yoga classes that my town rec department offered.

I hope this helps!
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:21 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey chickie -

I saw the title of this thread and thought it might be a good idea to point out the new US Government nutrition guidelines which were released this week...I believe this is the first time they have recommended exercise guidelines as well. (We have a thread on the new guidelines in the Maintainers forum BTW.)

Here's what the NIH recommends as far as exercise:

Exercise: Engage in regular physical activity -- for adults, at least 30 minutes most days to reduce risk of chronic disease; about 60 minutes to maintain a healthy weight; and up to 90 minutes to lose weight.

Now they're NOT saying for you to start from nothing and run a marathon!! You have to start at *your* level.

You know, you're not so far weight wise from MY high weight of 265 (I might have been even heavier at some point, but there was a long, long time when I didn't go NEAR a scale). When I decided to start exercising (at the point where I couldn't even go up a flight of stairs without pausing for breath - when I was still in my mid-20's yet!) I got out my tennis shoes (do they still call them that? I STILL call my workout shoes "tennis shoes" and I don't even PLAY tennis! ) and my Walkman and started walking around the neighborhood - at first just around the block a couple of times and then as I got stronger, I would start walking the more 'hillier' streets. (As we are located right next to the beautiful Coastal Mountains that separate the San Francisco Bay from the Pacific Ocean, we have a LOT of hills!)

Prior to 1990 (when I decided it was time to lose the weight for good and all), there were a couple years when I tried to 'live with myself as a fat person' (of course, for me that meant throwing any idea of dieting out the window and eating whatever I wanted, even if it meant half a large pizza and half a container of ice cream, or a McDonald's binge of 3 regular hamburgers, a Filet O' Fish, two orders of fries and two shakes (had to order two drinks and two fries so the cashier wouldn't think all that food was just for ME)). One good thing that came out of that experience was going to a seminar in the East Bay run by Pat Lyons, the co-author of Great Shape: The First Fitness Guide for Large Women (still available as a reprint from Amazon.com). She encouraged movement and just ENJOYING activity rather than being focused on doing "X" amount of minutes of aerobics of whatever to lose lbs. I came out of the seminar feeling empowered! I also discovered a video (which I suspect is LONG out of print) by a large-sized model named Idrea Lippman titled "The Larger Woman's Workout". Very 80's (well, it WAS the 80's after all!) with the pink legwarmers and headbands and all that. But I really enjoyed doing that video!

As I started losing weight - when I got down to 250 or so, I joined a low-impact aerobics class run by our local Park & Rec department that met twice a week. Really enjoyed that as well and went all summer, in addition to my daily walks and doing Idrea's workout in front of the TV several times a week.

(see the point I'm trying to make? you start at your OWN level and as you keep going...the bar gets set a bit higher and a bit higher...also you find that you ENJOY what you're doing - that's a KEY point.)

My baby sister turned me onto Jazzercise late in 1990. I was hooked instantly - it's a FUN atmosphere with people of all ages, shapes and sizes, the music was motivating and constantly changing...I was fortunate to have one of the Jazzercise organizations top 5 instructors running my class as well. She was (and probably still is - I know she still teaches Jazzercise) a great, motivating, friendly and warm person. Until my work schedule interfered, I went to Jazzercise classes four or five times a week, not to mention going to fundraisers and even a Jazzerjam (convention) in Las Vegas which was a LOT of fun! I STILL highly recommend looking into a Jazzercise class in your area (the Jazzercise website usually has first-timer coupons you can use - I just checked and voila - a coupon for a free week! DO check it out!)

Do you have any secret wishes of things you want to do/accomplish but you feel you can't because 'you're too fat'? WELL one of mine since I was a kid was to really learn to ride (horses that is). Two reasons I didn't - money (it's an EXPENSIVE avocation, especially here in the Bay Area) and "I'm too fat". Well, once I wasn't "too fat" and I had a bit of disposable income I started looking into taking lessons four years ago. I LOVE the horsey life and for the past year and a half have been part-leasing a gorgeous bay Arabian gelding, and even bought my own saddle and bridle . (To actually OWN a horse and be able to afford to keep it around here, I'd have to win the lotto).
  • the NIH now recommends up to 90 minutes of exercise a day to lose weight.
  • exercise doesn't have to be boring, a chore, or something you hate doing
  • Start out at YOUR personal level and work your way up YOUR personal ladder
  • Find something YOU enjoy doing, and keep looking for new activities
  • Set some 'goals' - things you WANT to do as your fitness level improves
  • HAVE FUN!

Whew!!!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #6  

Wow! Thanks, MrsJim!

You were saying that you just gave up and decided you were going to live as a fat person and just began to eat whatever and a lot of it. Sounds like me. I never really OVERate, but when I would come home from work, we would eat dinner, then I would snack and that really killed me. So, do I have to do 90 min. in one sitting? I'm doubting it, but I thought that I would ask anyways. I can't wait until it gets warmer out so I can go hiking!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #7  

I just started and I am doing 30 minutes of exercise with Gilad on Fit tv. I will probably do it at least 5 days a week.
eternity is offline   Reply With Quote