Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #1  

Exclamation diabetic, thyroid removal

i am a 43yr old female with diabetis and also have had my thyroid removed. i am about 45lbs overweight and have no ideal on how to lose it. i am hungry all the time. i do very little exercise due to 2 ruptured disc in lower back. i do try to stay busy, even when i hurt so bad. i have a 3yr old autistic grandson who lives with me and keeps me going. i am on insulin and pills, also synthroid. i seem not to have any will power when it comes to eating or to exercising. i am also pre menopause on top of all this. any help or advice would greatly be apprecaited.

Last edited by smokey61; 01-04-2005 at 06:49 AM.
smokey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Smokey, welcome to 3fc! The first step in your journey is realizing that you need to do something about your weight! You will find a great support group here I have had partial thyroid removal myself and since they removed the lower right lobe along with the goiter attached (goiter was producing tons of hormone) My thyroid can't function all by it self any more. I was taking 75 mcg of synthroid and 50 mcg of cytomel daily, but my doc recently changed me to 2 grain Armour a day we're going to see if it helps make me feel more alive as most days I'm so sluggish anymore I have a hard time just getting out of bed.

Now the exercise and eating all falls in your lap, always ask yourself if you are eating because you are hungry or because you are bored or if maybe you just need a hug. Emotional eating is usually above the neck, like when you get a taste for a food. Real hunger is below the neck and usually you can feel the grumbling in your stomach, but be careful cuz those gurgling sounds could also be just gas bubbles in your tummy. Also make sure you drink at LEAST 64 oz of water, I have been drinking over a gallon of water a day, and it helps with the water retention and keep my body hydrated. You should eat foods that fill you up, oatmeal is a good breakfast food, meats, whole grains, fruits and veggies. Also eat several small meals a day, it will keep you full and then you have less chance of snacking on junk food.

HTH
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 03:27 PM   #3  

Cool

Hi, Smokey. Trying to lose weight with diabetes is tricky and adding the thyroid problem makes it worse. However, it is possible. Please come join us on the Dieting with Diabetes Thread No. 3. We are all trying struggling with the same issues and need the mutual support and encouragement we give each other. We look forward to seeing your posts.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote