Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 11:25 AM   #1  

Exclamation I need nutrition information!

Hey everyone! I want to know how many carbohydrates, proteins and fats are suppose to be in your diet? I know they're in percentages... and does anyone have any good nutrition websites or information they could give me?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:36 PM   #2  

CalorieKing.com
Old 01-04-2005, 07:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for but I got this information when reading a book called Restaurant Confidential about fast food. Alongside the analysis they listed what you are supposed to have for comparision. Here is what they had:

Total Fat: 53 g; Sat Fat: 18 g; Cholesterol: 85 mg; Sodium: 2000 mg (The sodium is harder to keep to then I expected!)

Also I read somewhere that you should have 25 g of dietary fiber a day.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #4  

A good rule of thumb is 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein, and 30% fat. Hope this helps!
Old 01-09-2005, 02:15 PM   #5  

CalorieKing is great for looking up various foods, including brand-names and restaurant foods. Fitday.com is a good site for actually tracking what you eat. They also have a large database of foods, but if they don't have something specific you can add it as a Custom Food for your personal database. The site also has some guidelines on how to construct a healthy diet.

Different people here will recommend different % for each macronutrient -- there are various "religions" that revolve around this topic. If you follow the USDA food pyramid (which is essentially how my diet is built and what I've eaten to lose 157+ pounds), it works out to about 50-60% carb, 20-25% protein, and 20-25% fat. You want as much as the carb as possible to come from complex sources -- whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Choose lean meats for protein to keep saturated fat consumption low (under 10g per day is great); for added fats, choose monosaturated sources whenever possible -- oils (especially olive oil), nuts, avocado, olives, etc.
Closed Thread