Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 05:38 PM   #1  

Question

My question is...is it okay not to weigh? I find that I get so thrown by the numbers on the scale, even when I know I've been totally on program. I've lost over 30 pounds on WW. In the past couple of months, I've started excercising regularly, including weight training, so I've noticed muscle gain. I also gain HUGELY -- as much as 5 lbs -- when I eat too much sodium or during TOM. When I see the numbers go up when I'm working so hard, it's hard for me to keep motivated.

So...I'm wondering if anyone else chooses not to weigh or only weighs once a month or so? I keep getting compliments and my clothes are getting looser. I feel great and my fitness level is increasing (last year, I couldn't walk a quarter mile...now I'm routinely doing 4-5 miles).

Interested in feedback.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2001, 05:58 PM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Default You'll still have to pay but....

no one can force you to weigh.
Old 05-08-2001, 11:10 PM   #3  

I have also asked the people who weigh me not to write it on my card that way I dont know so I dont get too obsessed.
Old 05-09-2001, 08:03 AM   #4  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I am so obbsessed with the scale I weigh myself ALL day long. Every time I go to the bathroom. Since I started drinking so much water....that is a lot of times through out the day. It is NOT a good habit, and I wish I could stop. But I just hope on anyway. I say if you can stand not seeing the numbers...then go for it. If you know it will discourage you, then don't do it. Good luck!

Angie
Old 05-09-2001, 11:46 AM   #5  

Default Okay not to weigh?

Angie, get rid of the scales. Put them in the trunk of your car, the attic, the garage or the basement or even the trash. I know very well they will drive you crazy. Only weigh at your weekly W W class. If you don't want to know your weight ask not to be told.
I know about scales. They stare at you every time you go into the bathroom. They call your name. "Step on Me" "I Dare You to Step on Me" "Come on, Step on Me", "I Will Be Nice to You This Time". But they never are nice. The only way to deal with them is to get rid of them. Once you get that "monkey off your back" you will be a lot happier. Believe me, I speak from experience.
Old 05-09-2001, 01:59 PM   #6  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Ann, I know that you are right. I need to get rid of it. I am driving myself crazy and discouraging myself. I have thought about getting my dh to hide the thing....but I know I would go nuts looking for it. So for today I have only weighed in 2 times. Once in the morning here, and once at my official weigh in at ww. I am down a pound officially (YAY)...but you are right....I think my home scale has gotta go.

(hugs)
angie
Old 05-10-2001, 02:43 PM   #7  

Momof2girl-- I weigh myself daily -first time in the morning. I do it to force myself to "face the music". It helps me stay on tract. If I go up I know I ate wrong somewhere or too much salt. I have heard other people say not to weigh yourself. I wish I was not so dependent on the scale but ,I am. I try to use it to my advantage. It is what I put in my mouth that makes me gain.Or lose.
Stay with the program and you will not worry about the scale.
Have A Great Day Joanne
Old 05-11-2001, 08:46 PM   #8  
J0

I am trying to wean myself from the scales with only fair results.

When the numbers are "bad," I get discouraged. When the numbers are "good," sometimes I allow myself to eat more than I need or even enjoy. When I simply pay attention to my body--my hunger and how my clothes fit--it's easier to stay in control and excess pounds seem to melt off.

I have recently realized that sometimes if I am in the mood for boredom eating, I'll step on the scale, almost looking for a reason to give myself permission to eat, if my weight is OK. How sick is that!

I am going to try to continue to do without the false motivation of the scales. It's hard to give up.

Jo
Lifer 2 1/2 years
Closed Thread