Old 12-10-2004, 12:41 PM   #1  
Mouth of the South

Default Does exercise really speed things up?

I've heard that working out is paramount on Atkins. I've been on Atkins before, and lost weight, but not as much as my friends who were on it. They told me they lost more than I did because they worked out. Does it really speed things up? I'm sure it can't hurt to work out, but I hate it so much!!!!
Catgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #2  

YES! because you build muscle and although I don't the exact figures- a pound of muscle at rest burns so much more calories than a lb of fat. add some strength or resistance training to your diet. I'm sure you'll see results!
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #3  

Yes, it's true! Definitely true. How do you think Renee Zelwiger keeps losing all that weight so quick after Bridget Jones? Exercise! It does all sorts of good things for you, including revving up your metabolism. I hate exercise too, so I totally empathize. I've heard Oprah say she hates to exercise but loves the results. I feel exactly the same way. It really does speed things up, plus helps you look healthy and toned, as opposed to just thinner. I've learned that you have to find something that works for you, whether its walking, swimming, cycling, etc. There are some things I hate to do because I find them bordering on torture (like running). On the other hand, some exercise is almost fun for me, like cycling, spin classes, and swimming.

My problem is that I just don't have the motivation, so lately I've started working with a personal trainer twice a week. (See my other post about my secret weapon). It seems a bit extravagant, but its the only way I can get myself motivated consistently lately.

Anyway, its true it really speeds things up and is really good for you. This is especially true if you do a vigorous workout (which would include sweating) as opposed to just a casual walk.
CPgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:49 PM   #4  
it's always something

For every 5 pounds of lean muscle you build, you will burn an extra 250 calories per day. This equals more than 25 pounds of fat loss per year.

You also boost your metabolism naturally by exercising. When you exercise, you not only burn more calories during the time you work out, but you burn more calories per hour for several hours after the workout. If you work out each morning and evening, you burn some serious calories!

Exercise is also a natural appetite suppressant. Regular exercise lowers blood pressure, reduces chances of developing osteoporosis, reduces the risk of heart disease, and relieves stress You should probably aim for 60 to 90 minutes per day. It doesn't have to be all at once.

The National Weight Control Registry reported that of the people that lose the weight and KEEP it off, almost all of them included exercise as part of their weight loss routine.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #5  
Dawn aka Sims addict

Smile Yes it helps !!

Cat,

Most of us hate exercise, at least in the beginning.

For me personally, I hate "having" to do it. Atkins recommends exercise & it does help & will make you healthier.

However, in the beginning for me, I was so out of shape that exercise was hard & made me sore & panting. But I took it step by step. Baby steps really. Rome wasnt built in a day !!

I walked small distances every other day, did housework, & I use fitness tapes. My thing is Pilates. They kill me, but I would do what I could & then stop. I would be sore, but things are getting a lil easier, time after time.

I like some exercise but hated thinking I was forced to do it. After losing some weight with barely any exercise, I started feeling good & energetic. That encouraged me to do things more. I walk every other night almost 2 miles, then the nights I dont walk, I bellydance or do the Pilates. I aim for 30 min exercise everyday but usually end up doing an hour. YOu would be amazed !!

Give it time & find things you like. Dont stick to one thing. I also enjoy bike riding & some days I do a basic ab routine bc its exercise & everyone wants tight flat abs !!Make sure to have variety so you dont get bored !! I get bored easily. I also vary the route I walk so I'm not bored by the same path.

Also some days when I do housework, I turn the radio on & just have fun dancing around for an hour or two ! THat helps & I have fun ! Every LITTLE bit helps !!

I hope this helps Cat. Remember, BRICK BY BRICK !!
abnrmlisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:34 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yes
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #7  
Baby Steps

OH the dreaded "E" word!!! EWW!! I hate to exercise and I'm sure that's part of my lack of weight loss. And I'm sure that's why when I do give in for a day the pounds pack on (water weight) so fast. One of my New Years resolutions is to start exercising. Last year it was starting Atkins. This year it's restarting Atkins FULL SWING and exercising. BLECH on the last
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote