Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 09:46 PM   #1  

Default Food for Traveling

My Thanksgiving day food plan is in place, and I feel confident that I won't totally blow it during the big day, but for those of us who are traveling to and fro during the holidays there's more temptations to go off program. We drive 7-8 hours to go see family, and before Core, chips, Cokes, beef jerky and candy were our usual driving time snacks along with lunch at the usual fast food or pizza place.

This year I plan to bring a bag of pre-popped 94% popcorn, fruit and bottles of water. Any other ideas? I haven't decided what to do for lunch yet. Blythe, California (our usual halfway rest point) is not exactly known for it's bountiful choices in cuisine!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:40 PM   #2  

I travel full time for work. I always bring two hard boiled eggs, FF cheese chunks, baby carrots, and a salad with Turkey slices and red beans on the plane with me. I eat before take off and half way through the flight.
If you stop off for fast food, eat the chicken salad. I know they add dextrose to the chicken, but you still get a veggie in (which is hard on the road.)
I like your popcorn idea. I should try that for my pre-flight snack.
Good luck.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:31 AM   #3  
Southside White Sox Fan

How about some grape or other small tomatoes? I'd also include some edamame. If you haven't tried them, they are great. They are soybeans in their pods and are usually already cooked and frozen. I like them best warmed but room temperature is good too. You pop them out of the shell and eat them like nuts....but they are veggies! You can buy them at Trader Joe's and other gourmet/healthy markets. Can you bring a cooler?. When I go out to eat I always carry little tupperware containers with my FF salad dressing, my Smart Balance Margarine (count points), and my FF sour cream. Then I order steak, broiled pork chops, or broiled chicken/fish plain with no sauce, baked potato, and salad with no dressing (no croutons or cheese). I also order veggies steamed. You have to make sure there is no butter sauce. Most places almost always have broccoli for recipes that they are will to steam. I even got an Italian restaurant/pizza place to steam broccoli for me LOL! Then I feast all Core!

Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2004, 12:27 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Car food is tricky, I agree. I like the idea of popcorn, baby carrots, celery, etc. If you can take a small cooler, you could take cups of your FF dressing, SF/FF pudding already made up, unsweetened applesauce cups, boiled eggs, pickles and olives, SF jello (which fortunately can be purchased already in cups), and don't forget the milk!

As for eating out, in addition to what Vickie said, if you stop at a seafood place, you could have broiled or grilled fish fillets, and steamed vegetables. At a Mexican food place, you can have black beans (hopefully they don't add a lot of fat to them), fajitas eating only the meat, peppers, and onions, and maybe the guac if you like it. At a homestyle or family cooking place, pork chops or grilled chicken breast, salad, and things like that would work. At a breakfast/diner type place, like Waffle House, I always get a large order of scrambled eggs made without butter, and tomato slices.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bindy; 11-20-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:55 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I travel a lot for work also and one of my favorite things when I have nothing in the car to eat is to stop at a grocery store and get fat free cottage cheese, grape tomatoes and red pepper flakes for the cottage cheese. There's also fruit and ff milk in convenience stores and sometimes eggs that are preboiled ... I'm not sure if these are CORE as I've been off the plan for awhile ...
Closed Thread