Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #1  

Question Tummy Tuck/Breast Lift?

Hello! I was a member very briefly, probably about a year ago when I first started maintaining. My highest weight was 245 pounds. In 2001 I started losing weight, then in 2002 I got pregnant and in 2003 I gave birth to twins that weighed 7 lbs each, and I was HUGE (tummy I mean). I have been at my current weight for over one year now. I range from about 138 - 142. I have disgusting hanging skin that I hate, and I won't even tell you how low my breasts hang.

This past summer, my husband left me for another woman. I am tired of living my life for everyone else and I feel like I deserve to be happy. I really want to get the surgeries that I need done, but my best friend says that I am being selfish. Well, I guess that is a whole nother story!

I am hoping that you guys can direct me to where your surgery stories are posted, or post them here. How was the recovery? What did you end up paying? Did anyone have insurance that covered any of the surgeries? One office told me to have my primary care physician write a letter saying I need the surgery and then insurance may cover it (abdominoplasty, not the breast lift). Do you think that is a possibility? I don't know if it is bad enough in a physicians eyes to require medical attention ... it is mostly emotionally difficult to deal with, not physical. There is quite a bit of skin though ... I can grab fistfulls of it. I don't want to get my hopes up, but that would be wonderful! Also, for anyone who did a combination of 2 or more surgeries, were they able to do it at one time?

I have two consultations next week. I am nervous and excited! I am 27 yrs old, and my goal is to have my surgery by 30 ... although I really want it this winter.

Thanks so much for your help!

Kelly
NewWoman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:22 AM   #2  

I say go for it! I'm not sure if I would have the same answer if you hadn't kept over 100 pounds off for more than a year - but you have! Why keep reminders of the past as you launch into a new life for yourself? I would not have plastic surgery for the sake of small vanities but if I were in your situation AND could afford the best surgeon I could find - I wouldn't hesitate at all. I think you are completely justified and wish you well.
susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 10:33 AM   #3  
Meg

Last edited by Meg; 12-18-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 07:06 PM   #4  

When did being 'selfish' get such a bad name? It means taking care of yourself before the hoards of other people that think they should get your time first. While I would probably not elect to have surgery such as this because of my age (almost 60), it really is your decision to make. If its not taking food out of the mouths of your babies, if it means you cant pay the rent or the utility bills, than that might be selfish. But... if its not, its your life, its your time, do what makes you feel better about yourself. You are very young and have many years ahead of you.

Didnt you have to be somewhat selfish (as in concentrating on yourself) when you were losing your weight? This is just the next step in that same body changing continuum.

Jan

Last edited by jansan; 11-11-2004 at 07:11 PM. Reason: whoops...
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote