Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-14-2004, 11:36 AM   #1  

Question Who Me?

So I'm at the gym yesterday and the owner comes up to me and says "I need to talk to you". I drag my sweaty body into her office and she asks me if I would appear in her print ads with a testimonial on how well I've done at her gym. After I got over my initial dumfoundedness, I told her I'd get back to her on it.

Part of me wants to do it, because I'm flattered that she is so impressed with my progress and people are actually noticing the weightloss and fitness gain. The other part of me is horrified at the thought of being put on display. I've been the fat girl for so long I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of people actually looking at me - specifically at the size of my body. Trust me, I've lost a lot of weight, but I'm nowhere near being thin. The muscles are there and growing, but they're still hiding under excess flab. I'm only halfway to my goal.

Hmmm, what to do, what to do. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Your could-be spokesmodel, Chickadee

p.s. I went shopping in the REGULAR PEOPLE sized department yesterday! I bought a really cute jacket, a shirt and a blushing ... thong! (just because I've never tried one and was curious!
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

congratulations!!?!! darlin. you've earned this recognition. go for it.

more later.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:11 PM   #3  

Default Go for it

Chickadee--I think it wold be a great experience for you and you could be a role model for other people who are "chubby". To actually see that a healthy eating plan and exercise does work, who knows how many other people you would inspire.

I say go for it girl--you deserve the recognition

Chris
tucsonchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:09 PM   #4  

oh svelte one.....are they gonna make you wear that thong for said photo shoot?

is it a solid or a print?

are they gonna pay you?

or

extend your gym membership?

how cool is it to buy clothes that don't have an X on it!!!!!

congrats!

peach
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:08 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You could try to say something like "I could use some personal training sessions to firm up..." but I'd say go for it if you feel comfortable with it. If all else fails, flip a coin, it works for me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:15 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Tell them you want the next 5 years of membership for free and then you'll do it

Bet you bought the crochless thong.... YOU DID DIDN'T YOU!!!! OH BEHAVE
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:30 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

oh leenie... there must not be ANY material in a crotchless thong... and WHY do you know about these things??? hmmmm???? inquiring minds want to know..
Old 10-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #8  

The extended gym membership or personal training sessions is a fabulous idea. I might just have some negotiating to do!

As for the thong (crotchless or otherwise) - I am not so sure about this whole concept. I tried it on, and it's not as uncomfortable as I figured it would be, but still, why not just go commando? The whole thing felt...well...drafty! Do you suppose when the politicos talk about reinstating the draft, this is what they mean? A whole battalion of thong-wearing soldiers?

Chickadee
Old 10-15-2004, 10:50 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Jiffy
Old 10-15-2004, 02:04 PM   #10  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Ok I have a comment on this issue, but first let me say that I think it is a wonderful offer if you choose to do it and you should negotiate a lifetime membership!

As far as advertizing for the gym, in truth it has helped you on the way, but you really have lost weight because of the WLS not because of the gym. I wouldn't want anyone to believe that (if it were me) that I had lost all the weight because of the hours at the gym...

(please don't hate me )
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:22 PM   #11  

Hi L,

First off, I don't hate you! BUT, I had to think long and hard about this post before replying. I'm still not sure if I can articulate what I'm feeling, but I'll try.

Very few people know that I've had LapBand surgery. The reason is because people tend to think of it as "the easy way out" or cheating somehow, which is the vibe I got from your post. I really, really don't want people assuming that about me. Trust me babycakes, there ain't nothin' easy about WLS. No matter what kind of WLS you have, you still have to make good food choices and exercise your tail off to get the best results you can from your tool.

It never occured to me that appearing in the ad might be construed as dishonest. My weight has come off because of smart food choices and working my tail off at the gym - just like anyone elses weight comes off. The band helps me eat less food. It does nothing to help me actually go to the gym to spend time on the elliptical trainer or pump iron. That perseverance comes from inside me and the leveled playing field that my band provides. So, I guess I do feel like I have lost a lot of the weight because of the hours at the gym. And I don't feel like I'm dishonest if I don't tell people about my surgery. Frankly, it's none of their business. God knows I've tried it the other way for too many years to count, only to have it all come back and then some.

What do some of you others think? Is it dishonest not to tell people? Would appearing in the ad be a lie? Very interesting...

Chickadee
Old 10-15-2004, 07:38 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Oh but I do believe it is because of the gym that you are able to shed the pounds. Weight loss doesn't happen with just surgery, it takes the diet, exercise, support and lots of TLC to make it happen, another words you can't make a tasty cake with out a few different ingredience... a little of this, a little of that and poof....BEAUTIFUL!!

I say GO FOR IT!!! Be proud, you didn't go to the gym and just stand there, you worked your butt off...litterely

I think its an excellent opportunity but the business side of me is still saying...hey, how about a few years of membership free
Old 10-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Also, I think it will bring awareness to alot of people who just don't understand what you are going thru (well all you girls). That it isn't just surgery, its a struggle afterwards too. You'd be the perfect spokesperson !!!
Old 10-16-2004, 08:23 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

very very thought provoking posts here...

there are some interesting phenomena i've seen in some folks who've had wls. there are those who follow the rules, like chickadeedeedear, and they get fabulous results because of the combination [and let's not forget the divine pookie the gym hamster who had such a fabulous pre-surgery weight loss through the restrictive diet and hours at the gym]

and then there are those folks who avoid the gym because they're not 'thin enough' in their minds to go there. chickadeedeedear could be a major inspiration to someone like that.

and let's not forget the people who think that the wls alone will take care of them FOREVER. how wrong they are!!!!!

my suggestion: be honest. the wls may have given you a jump start, but your weight loss is the result of a whole lot of hard work and focus, and the gym has given you the support to make the most of YOUR LIFE and YOUR CHOICES. and after all, that's the real deal

it'll show everyone - no matter what they think about the surgery - that no matter what the choice is, ya can't get away without the sweat.

what do the rest of you think? this is really interesting...

Last edited by jiffypop; 10-16-2004 at 08:25 PM. Reason: had to correct the 'diving pookie' to the 'divine pookie.' couldn't you just see her doing a swan dive at the gym????
Old 10-16-2004, 09:08 PM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

A few years ago, when I lost 30 lbs and was going to a women's only gym 5 days a week, the personal trainers/manager of the gym would bring new people up to meet me because I guess I was one of their regulars but because I had increased my cardiovascular endurance and lost some weight. It was an interesting experience and I didn't mind it.

About WLS surgery and views of people about it...

I remember a few years ago watching tv and they were showing various people who had the surgery, none of them had good eating habits but they had lost the weight. I remember one woman said all she ate was candy bars and then showed her huge stash of candy bars. The other stories weren't as dramatic as that, but they were similar. I'll say the only person I know (that isn't from here) that has had WLS never dieted a day in her life or exercised, and she still doesn't exercise.

Anyway, I'd definitely blame the media and/or people who don't follow the "rules" for the negative views of people about WLS.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote