Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:21 PM   #1  

Default Type 2 Diabetes

Hello, Was recently told by my doctor I have Type 2 diabetes, and I want to stay on the low carb life style I have quite a bit of weight to lose. How do I figure how many carbs I can have at a meal? Already did Atkins and was on the second part of it. but cannot do just 30 carbs for the whole day? Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thank You
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:44 PM   #2  

Smile

Hi meadow..im rosey from alaska..ive been diebetic for awhile now and can understand your dilemma and questions.. thers a whole group of us on anothe r post called dieting with diabetes..come join us.. we are all explporing our opptions and helping each other..i was having trouble with the carbs too.. so after trying atkins and not being able to handle that( it made me headachy and cranky) i decided to limit my carbs from 60g to 30 gs aday.. depending on what i have on hand etc ..you have to read labels and figure out what the carb content is in that particular food item for the portion you are eating..or get a carb counting book that will tell you how many carbs are in a particular item..i try to eat healthy avoid sugars and eat locarb products when i can..so far its working ok but i still crave carbs anyways good luck and hope i could help you some..the ladies in the other post have some great ideas that i am using now..check it out..rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 09-14-2004 at 08:48 PM.
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 10:32 AM   #3  

meadowlark I am going to a diabetes class and I will ask how many carbs a day is acceptable for a diabetic. I hope they can come up with a good answer. I know I read the labels on the food I buy and try to go low carb that way, but maybe I should actually count my carbs. I just try to eat healthy-(translation, I try to stay away from sugar goodies- high carb snacks potato chips-cheese curls, (you know, the stuff that taste good. I am a weightwatcher lifetime member, so I kind of know the drill of what is good and what is not so good for us. I will let you know tomorrow if the nutritionist gives an actual count of carbs we should have each day. Hang in there everybody, we will support each other and get through the ups and downs of diabetes and weight issues.Happy finger pricking all my e-mail diabetes friends.
patsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote