Old 07-06-2004, 08:34 AM   #1  

Default Can I have tomato products on Induction?

There's a great eggplant parm recipe in the Atkins book, but can I have that on Induction? I know I can have tomato, but tomato products? I bought a can of crushed tomatoes with herbs and thought I'd use that (instead of a spag sauce). I'm trying so hard to stick to the rules of Induction, but couldn't find any information on canned products. Can you help?
mbscalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:35 AM   #2  
Baby Steps

Look at the carb count. If it has sugar (or a lot of sugar) I wouldn't even try it on induction.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:42 PM   #3  

No, it didn't have a lot of carbs or added sugar. It was basically one of those cans of crushed tomatoes with herbs. I just didn't know if we can use that kind of convenience food during Induction.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:46 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

I don't think once in a while will hurt. I use tomatoes on my salads. Just make sure to count the carbs in your daily amount.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:03 PM   #5  

And that begs another question: As long as you're staying within the carb amount, can you have pretty much anything (that doesn't have sugar, caffeine or aspartame)? I would assume, if so, only after Induction.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:28 PM   #6  
Head Princess

Pretty much, kindof. How's that for an ambiguous answer? Things like refined sugars and refined flours are never good and should always be avoided. But take that a step further. If the food product is nutritionally deficient, should you eat it? If you pay attention to what "food" is in your food, you'll be just fine.

Here's a link to the Atkins food pyramid. This is what your eating should look like when you're on maintenance. I will admit that for the most part, I've flipped the bottom two tiers, but that's just me

Food Pyramid
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:33 AM   #7  

Oh yeah, I'm totally on board with eating healthy, non-processed, non-chemical foods, so I'm with you on that. I was just wondering, from among those foods, can you eat pretty much anything if it's within your carb limit? Like last night, I had turkey sausage with spaghetti squash and 1/2 cup of Ragu light, no-sugar added spag sauce (pure ingredients). Tonight I'm making that eggplant parm recipe in the Atkins book and using a can of crushed tomatoes with herbs. Those tomato products aren't overly processed, so I feel fine with those.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:18 AM   #8  
Head Princess

I don't see why not. I misunderstood and thought you were pulling one of those "this piece of bread has 14 grams and as long as I keep it under 20 I'm ok" kind of things - I've seen people do it. It sounds like you've got the right idea and are doing great!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote